Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:37 PM

Default When he leaves county jail, can I still get Power of Attorney/HIPPA?

I'm have a concern I hope someone can answer.My son may soon be imprisoned in the state system . When he leaves the county jail will it be too late to get things like "power of attorney" so that I can manage things outside of prison while he's unable to?

What might I need and when is best to get them signed ?

Hippa?
Power of attorney?

Thank you A.M.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM

Thanked 5,947 Times in 3,103 Posts

Have him do all this now. Hippa has to be done at each new facility POA he can do in the county. I believe its called a durable POA. Its always best to get this before you need it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
AnotherMother (08-11-2015), sidewalker (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:24 AM

They can be done in prison. I just printed off the paperwork on line and mailed it into my son. He filled everything out and had it notarized in prison and then mailed it back to me . It cost him a little money to have it notarized so make sure he has some on his books when he transfers and it took a few weeks to complete but was able to get it done. I had him fill out one both for finances and medical. Also previous poster is correct make sure once he gets to prison he fills out a release of medical information at each prison he goes to . And renews it every year. This is you r best chance of being able to get info on him if he is gets sick . he should give you a copy of this as well as giviving it to the prison.Good luck.

Last edited by 2muchmisery4me; 08-11-2015 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: Sp
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
AnotherMother (11-17-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,199 Times in 6,899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchmisery4me View Post
They can be done in prison. I just printed off the paperwork on line and mailed it into my son. He filled everything out and had it notarized in prison and then mailed it back to me . It cost him a little money to have it notarized so make sure he has some on his books when he transfers and it took a few weeks to complete but was able to get it done. [...]
While all CDCR facilities are suppose to have a notary available to inmates, ours did not. The office of Litigation Coordination gave me a list of approved notaries to contact and the quote to have them visit my husband was $80. If you can do it while he's in county I would.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
AnotherMother (11-17-2015)
Old 11-17-2015, 03:50 AM

Thank you very much. I sent him in the forms and his attorney says he'll send in a notary while he is still in county , just incase he leaves there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnotherMother For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-17-2015), sidewalker (11-17-2015)