Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered People in Prison For anyone that has a same sex partner, family member, friend or Pen Pal in prison that is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, or Transgendered.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:50 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,986 Times in 15,131 Posts
Default A Court in Florida Affirms Dignity for Transgender People, Even in Prison.

Court in Florida Affirms Dignity for Transgender People, Even in Prison

A federal judge in Florida on Wednesday issued the most affirming judicial opinion about transgender people Ive ever read.

For several years, the Florida prison system denied Reiyn Keohane access to hormones and prevented her from following the dress and grooming standards that all other women are subjected to, because she is a woman who has been placed in a male facility.

Despite the fact that she was diagnosed with gender dysphoria and had been receiving hormone therapy prior to her incarceration, Florida told her she would never get access to hormones in prison.

Read entire article HERE.

Its about time

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-27-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2018, 10:13 AM

I think it's awesome that she was finally able to live how she had before incarceration.

I do see many issues about transgenders within the jail system though.
If a person hasn't "FULLY" Transitioned to where they have to body parts of the gender they identify with, how would that go while in prison? ( i say "fully" because everyone has their own definition of what is the "end" of their transition and some do not undergo surgeries on the lower half of their bodies. )

A male with a V with a bunch of males? Or a woman with a P with a bunch of females? If you put a trans women in with the males, that automatically makes her a target, and vise versa.

Are they going to put them all in PC? Are they going to have separate pods?

I always wonder how prisons/jails will deal with it, as it's become way more accepted and a lot more people are opening up.

I'm glad one was helped, and I hope there is more to come from other states!