Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > COLORADO > Colorado Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Colorado Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in Colorado should be posted here.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:11 PM

Unhappy More restitution issues :( Help?!

Hi everyone!

I have a friend in Buena Vista Minimum. He supposedly wasn't paying his restitution (I thought the prison paid restitution costs automatically for him while he's incarcerated?). They had a hearing and he was assigned $400 per month (what!??). He said he was able to get an appeal/meeting with several people who were evaluating his case. His case worker was going to do everything possible to bring that down or get it dropped completely until halfway house/parole. He said his bosses all wrote amazing recommendation letters--it all sounded so positive. Then he told me that they are going to require him to pay $1,000...by next week. If he can do that, then they claim they won't charge him any more restitution until he gets out. If he can't meet that deadline, then it goes back to $400 per month until he pays the $1,000. He said something about there being a time limit on that too and that they could take away his halfway house eligibility for the end of the year if he's found non-compliant. *takes deep breath*

Help?? Does anyone know if that checks out or if that sounds completely crazy? I know I can read the AR's for CO. I sent him some and that didn't seem to help. I'm trying to find information, but it's difficult I have the site for the CO Judicial Dept. and the $400 that he's supposedly been paying isn't reflected in those numbers. One of them has gone down in strange increments...the other is going *up* by about $130 per month! Yikes!! What's happening? I'm not immediate family and so I don't think I can request in depth records. I sent my friend the numbers and he said he was going to talk to his case worker about them. If he really does have to pay that $1000, shouldn't there be a way for me to just pay it directly vs sending it to him in prison so that he can pay it off? Does it matter as long as it's paid? Can anyone help or give hugs? I'm about to turn into a puddle on the floor over all this!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2017, 09:40 PM

Sounds sketchy. You can see his case docket online and restitution is listed. I would not send anything to him directly in prison.
Just throwing it out there, but he did the crime why are u paying the restitution.....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gagajm For This Useful Post:
rnsgaig (05-04-2017), WishingTree (06-03-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Donation Award 

Take a deep breath. This does sound very sketchy to me. They don't require them to come up with large sums of money for their books. In fact you can only put on $300 at a time through jpay. It sounds to me as if he may owe some money to somebody maybe from gambling maybe from being shaken down or getting involved with the wrong crowd. They withhold a percentage from any money deposited to his books and from anything he earns while he is in there to pay his court costs and restitution. That is probably why you are seeing strange amounts being paid. But I have never heard of them requiring an inmate to come up a large sum of money. You can ask him to send you the print out he gets with his balance and transactions for his books each month.

And yes if you want to pay it for him there is a link here to pay the amount owed:
https://www.its.courts.state.co.us/cjop/welcome.jsp
The Following User Says Thank You to saoirse1 For This Useful Post:
WishingTree (06-03-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Beach Girl

I know this post is a couple months old.. but was there ever an update? I didn't see any... How did everything go, WishingTree?