Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Default Graduated from Community College, will credits transfer towards BA?

I graduated on May 11th, 2017 with my Associate of Applied Science degree in Computer Information Technology and a Certificate in Web Technologies - Basic. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA and I wore a gold tassel as well. It took me 6 years in community college to make it through. I went through 2 surgeries, changed my major twice, hospital stays, cried while saying I can't do it over a million times, determination, inspiration, hope, motivation and a lot of chances for me to get there but I made it. I will be going back to the same community college I graduated from on August 14th, 2017 to work on another program called Information Technology - Healthcare Informatics.

I have a question for you all. After completing this other program that I will be working on and possibly getting a degree, would it be possible to transfer to a 4 year college and get a Bachelor's? I'm getting all the education that I can since nothing stops me
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2017, 06:46 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,486 Times in 13,309 Posts

Yea for you! I have a Master's in Information Science from Florida State (online classes, accredited)

I started at a community college, got the 2 year degree and most credits did transfer towards my BA. College Algebra is a must, I hope you took it already. You should be able to go online and look at required classes for the 4 year degree at the particular college you're interest in attending and earning that BA. Also, the college will let you know what transfers after you submit a (sealed) transcript. The college you recently graduated from will send the transcripts (for a small fee) to as many colleges as you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,959 Times in 6,867 Posts

You need to decide where you want to go for your 4 year degree program and look at the transfer requirements for an AA to a BA (AS to BS as the case may be). There are a lot of factors involved - credit system (semester v. quarter v. something else), selectivity of the college/university, etc. Your best bet is to get over to career counseling at your CC and discus who they have a relationship with, what that relationship is like, and how easily they transfer to those colleges. The more traffic they have to a particular college or university, the easier it's going to be to transfer credits, especially those pertaining to general education requirements and basics for your major.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (05-12-2017), patchouli (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 07:27 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 12,520 Times in 4,855 Posts

Congratulations on your achievements so far! I'm also thrilled to hear you're planning to continue your education. You've been given excellent advice already. The only other thing you may want to do if you're planning to apply to a four year school near you, is to attend a prospective student event. I know my school had them year round. It was a time when folks considering the school could come, meet with a student tour guide who would give a tour of campus and answer basic questions. Then you could visit the department(s) you wanted to study in and if you'd arranged ahead of time, speak with an academic advisor in admissions. It's an excellent opportunity to get a feel for the environment. If you'll be attending in person, you'll be spending a lot of time there. Nothing worse than realizing you've been admitted to (and paying a lot of money to) a campus that just "feels" wrong.

Best of luck to you!!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 PM

Thank you all so far for the great advice. I have a few more questions but I know it will depend on different colleges:

Will they normally let transfers stay in a dorm? I was looking at 3 colleges that I wanted to go to but I just need a basic answer

What do they look for on a transcript?

I just basically need information about transferring in general along with any other advice
Old 05-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Thanked 9,199 Times in 5,273 Posts

As long as it was a traditional two-year community college and not an ITT sort of place, then most (if not all) of the credits should transfer. The for-profit ITT sorts of places often have a lot of credits that DO NOT transfer.

Four year schools will often let anyone stay in a dorm who is willing to pay for it. The Housing Department for the program would be able to best advise you on that question. Whether you lived on campus or not, you would also have access to food plans, since those are often sold separately from the housing plan.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:11 AM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
As long as it was a traditional two-year community college and not an ITT sort of place, then most (if not all) of the credits should transfer. The for-profit ITT sorts of places often have a lot of credits that DO NOT transfer.

Four year schools will often let anyone stay in a dorm who is willing to pay for it. The Housing Department for the program would be able to best advise you on that question. Whether you lived on campus or not, you would also have access to food plans, since those are often sold separately from the housing plan.
Not necessarily - the more exclusive the admission policy is for the 4 year institution, the less likely the credits will transfer. People start by losing the grade first (they get credit for the course as if on a pass/fail basis), and then the credits simply don't transfer. Further, there can be transfer of credit problems in schools with traditional or more flexible enrollments when there's a change from semesters to quarters or visa versa.

It always behooves a person to check first.

Oh, and you're right - the housing department is the place to go for housing information. Many schools have married and family housing, and that can include people who are older and unmarried and without kids. Always good to check with them for housing. They may also know of inexpensive rentals near the college that suit the student's needs.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Not necessarily - the more exclusive the admission policy is for the 4 year institution, the less likely the credits will transfer. People start by losing the grade first (they get credit for the course as if on a pass/fail basis), and then the credits simply don't transfer. Further, there can be transfer of credit problems in schools with traditional or more flexible enrollments when there's a change from semesters to quarters or visa versa.

It always behooves a person to check first.
Without a doubt on checking...which would be part of the due diligence. I never saw problems in my region since all were on semesters at the time. The problems I have seen with people in the advent of the for-profit programs is that the ITT and similar programs simply don't transfer worth a damn. A traditional community college tended to transfer. I admittedly answered on the presumption that OP was looking to stay within the same region and not take, for example, a West Coast AA and try to work on an East Coast BA...

Doing a two-year program and transferring is a common thing here in Texas, often even touted as a way to stay close to home and save money. But as a result, the two-year programs are trying to work closely with traditional four-year programs to keep continuity in degree plans...
Old 05-21-2017, 02:08 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
Without a doubt on checking...which would be part of the due diligence. I never saw problems in my region since all were on semesters at the time. The problems I have seen with people in the advent of the for-profit programs is that the ITT and similar programs simply don't transfer worth a damn. A traditional community college tended to transfer. I admittedly answered on the presumption that OP was looking to stay within the same region and not take, for example, a West Coast AA and try to work on an East Coast BA...

Doing a two-year program and transferring is a common thing here in Texas, often even touted as a way to stay close to home and save money. But as a result, the two-year programs are trying to work closely with traditional four-year programs to keep continuity in degree plans...
In the area in Iowa where I grew up, one college was working on the strange 1 call each month system. Others were trimesters. Some community colleges working with the more traditional schools had the same structure, while skipping over to a semester meant loss of credits or having to do more classes. Many colleges, including state schools, are select or above traditional enrollment, leading to a loss of credits or grade points. It can be really perplexing if you don't plan your move. You don't want to take freshman rhetoric (except that it might be necessary for the AA) at your community college as you'll just have to repeat the course at Iowa or Grinnell or someplace because they don't view it as equivalent.

Good point about the for profit. It should be noted, too, that a for profit PhD or graduate degree is rarely viewed the same in the real world as a regular degree. It is incumbent upon anybody entering the "for profit" realm of education to make sure it is accredited by the appropriate state and federal body, verifiable through the state (not through the college website). Further, almost all colleges that grant degrees based on "lived experience" are trash/scams and cannot be used for anything, including jobs. Unless, of course, you want to be like that one Iowa politician who was outed for getting his degree through Sizzler - yes, Sizzler the restaurant, at their fake college (which was never meant or organized to be taken as a real college outside the context of the Sizzler organization, from what I understand, but the politician did what politicians do....).
Old 05-21-2017, 03:31 PM

massive derail...haven't heard Grinnell in many years. I remember getting letters from them trying to entice me to accept an offer from them during my junior year (PSAT scores were being used for academic offers in that period of time, not sure if they still are). Having had family from the Midwest, I was willing to consider the Illinois/Iowa programs since the prospect existed of in-State tuition after two years...

Cannot say I had ever heard of the Sizzler degree...but I remember the back-of-Rolling-Stone degree ads in the 80's and early 90's. Given how TDCJ did their points for promotions, I actually gave thought to buying one since I knew nobody would ever check up on it. The Masters could be had for under $5K at that time (about a third to a half of what a new car cost in that window of life).

And back to the topic at hand...I realize I forgot to congratulate the OP on their achievements. Be sure to look at ALL possible scholarship avenues, since there are a lot of hidden gems out there for older students. Some of the search engines have a lot of the niche and specialty scholarships but schools may even have some hold-back type of offers that are only known when someone asks about them...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:10 AM
attorney

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics...er-certificate

Yep, congrats to the OP.

Always check into scholarship possibilities, especially with the school, with any group you belong to whether it's religious, Native American, or anywhere you hang out. Also, check with your family - companies like Coke and Pepsi have scholarships available to employees and their families, even for employees and their families who are on the production line or distributing. I am consistently amazed at where there is money to be found for education, especially for non-traditional students. Corporate websites are a good place to find information. The usual handshake, face to face is the best way to find information from groups like Kiwanis, Rotary, VFW, etc.