Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Adult Children and Siblings of Inmates For Adult Children, brothers and sisters of prisoners

Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM

Default Do you remember your first visit with your brother/sister?

Even tho my brothet doesn't have much time i? As soooo happy ta see him todayy cause we are really close...do any of y'all remember tha first visit with ur bro/sister???
The Following User Says Thank You to Freethadonfella For This Useful Post:
Huskers (02-15-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2012, 08:16 PM

Yes he went in on a Tuesday and i went to see him that followin Sat in county that is and it was way to emotional...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 AM

Yes, I was 13 and it was actually the day of my very first high school dance...i got ready early and went to visitation with formal hair, nails, makeup, & dress just so my big bubba could see me all decked out for my first formal dance. Lol I got some pretty crazy stairs but I didn't care as long as he was a part of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 AM
To the moon & back
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,490 Times in 2,231 Posts

Yes, I remember. It was close to 3 years ago. I haven't been able to visit him since. Texas is just too far away. We were never close, but I have to say that I miss him.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:05 PM

yes it was the hardest thing i ever.... 5 months later still gets harder leaving him behind
Old 05-20-2014, 10:22 PM

Yes I was eighteen and I remember he gave me a super tight hug. We brought him so snacks and just talked. I visit him every so often
Old 05-26-2014, 01:19 PM
attorney

Thanked 18,951 Times in 6,866 Posts

I've never visited my brother while he was in jail or prison. It's a decision I made based on our history. It is a decision each person must make, and it is difficult, both to go, and to say, "no".

Fwiw, my bro has been in and out since he was in his 20's. The first time he was in trouble with LEO was when he was 8. He's now approaching 50, and last I heard, he's out again as of November. I dearly hope you all don't have that kind of future to look forward to with your brother, aren't having to arrange visits at numerous facilities, state and federal, and that your siblings never have to go to jail or prison again. But if they do, know that you're not alone; lots of us have recidivist siblings.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Yeah, I guess that would be the rehab facility. LOL, so weird..I have this memory that won't fade about how he smelled and to a lesser extent also the building. I guess they all used this very strong scented state issued soap? I was in about 5th or 6th grade, which would be close to 20 years ago.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:32 AM

I was nine. I am thinking I probably visited him in county jail? I remember everything was painted a particularly gross shade of pale blue. I remember having dreams later about the sound of the doors and gates locking.

Not sure if it was good for me to visit him that age or not but I do remember it. I do remember crying and begging my mother to let me go.

Over the years there have been many visits but I haven't visited him on this latest sentence. Gosh,if you look at family photos, about half of the pics I have of me and my brother are with him in prison whites.
and float from branch to branch
lighter than the air
just when that day is coming
who can say"

-- J. Darnielle (The Mountain Goats) --Up The Wolves

(Profile pic is me and my brother circa 1977)
Old 11-18-2015, 05:57 PM

I'm just getting ready to visit for the first time. It's a heartbreaking situation and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm determined to stay for at least two hours even if we just sit in silence! Due to transfers and waiting to get approved he has been in nine months without a visit.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Congratulations and enjoy the moments. Prison time is hard time for everyone and a visit means so much more than anyone knows.
Old 12-11-2015, 07:31 AM

I remember my first visit to my sister. I took her to self surrender for a crime she didn't commit. That was one of the hardest days of my life. She surrendered to Alderson, W.V. on June 30, 2015. I live in Dallas Tx. so it's about 1100 miles for me to visit her. I have been once a month so far. Our first visit was very emotional. We shed a lot of tears that day. She is 65 and in bad health. The BOP took her off all her medications and to see the shape she was in on my first visit was heartbreaking. Since 6/30/15 she has lost 53lbs. Mainly due to her not being able to walk to the cafeteria to eat. The meds she is supposed to be on is for her feet. When she does not get her meds, her feet and legs swell to twice their normal size and is very painful. She is actually disabled due to her condition. I worry about her every day. The prison told her that her condition is "not on the list of conditions they provide meds for". They also tell her, "You're in prison, grin and bare it." I really believe that is an inhumane response to her condition. It kills me to see her in pain when I visit. But seeing her helps me to cope with the situation. I guess it would be different if she had actually committed a crime. To explain, the company she worked for as a part time hourly employee turned out to be a Ponzi scheme. She had invested her entire life savings into that fake company because she thought it was real. I even invested money as well as several other family members. She lost everything. Even their home. Yet since she worked there, she ended up in prison. Such an injustice. She was threatened by the prosecution with a life sentence if she didn't take a plea deal. Her boss received 360 months which is a life sentence at her age. (67) Her boss was actually guilty so she deserved prison time. Sorry for rambling on but I have not had a chance to say these things to anyone that would listen. It seems that once someone is incarcerated, everyone automatically assumes they deserve it for what ever reason. I now know there are lots of women incarcerated that do not deserve it. I wish there was something I could do to make it all go away.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schatzi For This Useful Post:
sunnyskye (06-04-2017)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:50 AM
Loving my King
Donation Award 

Default 1st Visit with Sister

My 1st visit with my sister was exciting at the beginning but when it was time to go it was emotional I hate that I had to leave my little sister there. She was the one I spoiled before I had kids took wherever I went. I really hated it and she has so much time.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:33 AM

I cried like a 2 year old. I was so scared to go into a prison, be searched, see him in that terrible "outfit". Seeing all the other inmates and being scared out of my mind. I was so nervous on what to say or what not to say. I didn't want him to think I "judged" him. I was just there to love him and support him. It went fine, but it was so strange. My heart was just broken. Leaving him behind was excruciating. So many inmates standing at the windows waving by to visitors, wondering if one of them was my brother. After that, we made a deal with each other to not look back. Keep our heads down and just get thru it.

Getting to visit and give him a hug was great...leaving SUCKED EVERY...SINGLE...TIME... I'm so glad he's home now.
The Following User Says Thank You to supportparolees For This Useful Post:
JessieWB (06-07-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM

I remember the first time I visited my brother. I was only 5...I'm turning 25 this year and he's still in prison. When I was a kid, the county jail was down the highway from my school so my mom took me to see him all the time after school. But over the years, he was transferred to prisons out of state. It took hours to see him. It was tough. Finally, he's less than hour away. So the family can see him more often.
The Following User Says Thank You to flowerpower29 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 16,560 Times in 10,017 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm glad your brother is close enough to visit him again.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM

My baby brother was in jail when my daughter was a baby. I visited him once. This was like 18 years ago. I visited my other brother 3 years ago. He's out now.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Donation Award 

My first visit this time he has been in was after fifteen years of not seeing him. Between my job transfers - his transfers - his time in the program at Lewisburg - husband diagnosed with brain cancer and subsequent passing - taking care of an ill sister that just passed in October - it was the first time I could get to him. He's five hours away - I was a nervous wreck. He came out - I met him up front hugged him and started crying - he said - hey why you crying visit is just starting? We had the best visit - I stayed for 6 hours - he wears a hearing aid now (which he's not allowed to have in SHU now) but his khakis were pressed (his buddies did that) and he was so handsome. I hugged and kissed him on the neck when I left - we had our picture taken - I have it on my wall. After several hours he FINALLY let me get him something to eat and drink - he didn't want to have to get up and use the restroom - they frown on that. I have visited once a month since November and was able to spend his birthday with him in February. We played cribbage for 6 hours and I had come up with a way for us to keep score using another deck of cards. He's in SHU and will be transferred now so visits are behind glass - I so want to hug him
The Following User Says Thank You to Huskers For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-27-2016)
Old 02-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Sundie

First I will tell you Miller county Arkansas put our family through hell. Then my brother was sent to the Cummins unit in Grady,Ark. It was very far to drive to visit he went to prison on his birthday.I made it a point no matter what was going on in my life I would visit on his birthday every year for the past 20 years. It broke my heart to leave him every single time.He has received parole he completes the classes they are making him take in March.we are trying to get an interstate compact now it was refused the first time because the parole here in Texas went to the wrong address. When he realised it he asked Arkansas to resend it and the person in Ark forgot or has been sitting on it..we had to pay 100.00 more to get another interstate compact sent and still waiting for it to get to Texas,his release date is March 23 and we have been so upset and do not know what will happen if it is not completed by that time!I am taking care of our mom and she is in stage four kidney failure.. I pray a lot and talk to my heavenly father it still doesn't help the knot in the pit ofmy stomach..didn't mean to ramble on just not sure what to expect..
The Following User Says Thank You to Sundie For This Useful Post:
sunnyskye (06-04-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 03:17 PM

My first visit I found very tough. I was very anxious and stopped several times on the way to the prison and almost turned around. I was(and am still) finding it very difficult to believe how things have changed and how did our lives end up this way.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:20 PM

That is a very strong of you to continue visiting for so long. The thought of having glass in front of me for that long scares me to death.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:59 AM
you cannot push the river
Donation Award 

My brother and I have only had video visits so far. The first one was heartbreaking but full of love. He will be moved next week and I'm hopeful I'll get to see him in person soon.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,082 Posts

Visiting in person is much nicer than video visits in my opinion. Hopefully you will have your visitor's application approved quickly.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:01 PM

Oh, so sorry for her situation! There has to be a better way. I keep praying for reforms in the justice system.