Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 05-18-2017, 02:22 PM

Default Scared for my son, he asked for PC last night

I am so incredibly stressed. My son is at High Desert State Prison in Nevada. He asked for PC last night. The guard he spoke to told him "fight sissy boy". My son responded that he does not want to fight. He is HIV positive and is concerned about the possibility of spreading that via his blood. The guard told me that he wasn't sure why he was telling him. My son said because you are the police here. The guard responded that he isn't the police he's a thug. And then ventured further to say that he would be sure to let everyone know that he requested PC and that he is HIV positive. My god I am panicking! Jake just called me and said that everyone is looking at him weird and that he feels like something is about to happen. He said mom I don't know what to do. And I have no answers. He did what I would assume he should do and obviously that hasn't helped at all. I feel like I am going to have a flipping panic attack.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,337 Times in 5,169 Posts

He's opened the door, he needs to keep trying to walk through it. He can ask another CO, he can request to see psych or the chaplian. Just keep trying to get their attention.

I'm so sorry, I can imagine how scared you must be. Some COs, for whatever reason, make life so much harder. I'm not sure what led up to your son asking for protective custody, but it's not something most inmates do lightly. I'm sure he had good reason. That reason likely didn't dissipate overnight.

Encourage him to keep trying to get someone's attention and gain assistance. My husband had to press hard to get his SNY status when he asked, the CO blew him off as well.

Hang in there, hun.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (05-18-2017), lizlizzie2 (06-06-2017), sidewalker (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
He's opened the door, he needs to keep trying to walk through it. He can ask another CO, he can request to see psych or the chaplian. Just keep trying to get their attention.

I'm so sorry, I can imagine how scared you must be. Some COs, for whatever reason, make life so much harder. I'm not sure what led up to your son asking for protective custody, but it's not something most inmates do lightly. I'm sure he had good reason. That reason likely didn't dissipate overnight.

Encourage him to keep trying to get someone's attention and gain assistance. My husband had to press hard to get his SNY status when he asked, the CO blew him off as well.

Hang in there, hun.
Whenever he gets to call me again I will tell him to do that. I am just so scared for him. If something happens I'm clear across the country and there isn't a dang thing I can do. He kept saying mom what do I do and I have no answers for him. My heart is breaking into a million pieces. Thank you for your response I really appreciate it. I didn't freak out when he got in trouble, I understood his addiction and behaviors caused it. But this shakes me to my core. I will definitely tell him to keep reaching out and trying to access the assistance he needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielsWyf For This Useful Post:
lizlizzie2 (06-06-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,337 Times in 5,169 Posts

Even if you were right across the street it would be hard to actively do something. It's one of the most frustrating and painful experiences we have on the outside. You're doing the right thing by being there for him as you're able. Chances are, that CO was being a blowhard. It was paperwork he didn't want to deal with so he made a big showing to get your son to drop it. In all honesty, if his intention was to draw physical attention to your son...blasting his HIV status would have the opposite effect. Not too many people are keen on intentional exposure.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Dobbie_Elf (05-18-2017), fiat_nox (05-18-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (05-18-2017), jancy (05-19-2017), lizlizzie2 (06-06-2017), sidewalker (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,691 Times in 869 Posts

I'm sorry you're going through this. I think it would be best if your son spoke to a counselor/chaplain/lt....someone higher than the COs walking the unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
jancy (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 PM

Thanked 1,159 Times in 475 Posts

I am so sorry he's having this on top of everything else. We don't expect it to be like summer camp but basic human decency should be given. I didn't find much help for concerns but here is a site with some info & contact numbers that might get you started. One # is at the DOC & the other is an advocate group.http://doc.nv.gov/Inmates/Family_Ser...Division/Home/

You might also call the prison ask to speak to his caseworker or the warden in charge of care & treatment. It might be different in Nevada but in Georgia that's who we call. Someone at his facility will know who to speak with.

Good luck & hoping you have better news next phone call.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-19-2017), jancy (05-19-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 09:30 PM

DanielsWyf,

I just wanted to write a quick reply to your post. I can understand your panic, especially when your son is asking you what he should do. Our roles as mothers don't allow us to turn a blind eye to our child when they are in need.

I don't know what I can say to comfort you, but a thought came to me that your son is in need, and in asking for your advice and for PC from the CO, he put it out to the universe that he needs help. I don't know what your faith is, or if you believe in God, but I do, and I want to tell you that I believe that God answers prayers. Please be assured that God is listening to your son, and he is listening to those that pray for him. Put your heart and mind at rest, even for a few minutes, by understanding that although the situation is out of your hands, it is NEVER out of God's hands. It takes great humility to realize we don't have control over much of anything in our life - and that we all, to an extent, rely on a higher power to guide us.

You are in my prayers tonight, and I will think about your son with a white light around him, protecting him, and comforting him. Take rest, Mama. You will get through this, and so will he. Lean on the highest power in your time of need, and take this burden from your shoulders for a while.

Take care of yourself,
Tatonkawia
DanielsWyf (05-19-2017), jancy (05-19-2017), LifeTraveler (05-19-2017), lizlizzie2 (06-06-2017), Lordbew/us (05-20-2017), miamac (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,910 Times in 6,334 Posts

Amen to the previous post. May God calm your anxiety and have you know that He is there watching over. May your son be helped quickly. May God correct the thinking of this CO. Hugs!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jancy For This Useful Post:
DanielsWyf (05-19-2017), Lordbew/us (05-20-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 AM

I attempted to contact the warden yesterday, but have not received a call back yet. Thank you GaReform for the link. I will see if I can get anywhere with that. Thanks everyone for the prayers. I will keep you updated whenever I hear something.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DanielsWyf For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-19-2017), jancy (05-21-2017), Lordbew/us (05-20-2017), miamac (05-19-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 06:23 AM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,910 Times in 6,334 Posts

How's your son doing?