Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:32 AM

Default How can we get him more Halfway house time?

My brother is currently in Federal Prison Camp in Pensacola, he was given 3 months and 15 days for halfway house and was suppose to go to halfway house in May but he just found out that they took 2 months and 19 days away. Can anyone out there help us get more halfway house? He will be going to Tampa Florida. We paid 2 lawyers before trying to get him a lot of halfway but they can't do anything. Please if you can help or know anyone that can help let us know. Thanks

Last edited by hardmoneyloan21; 03-06-2018 at 08:52 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Over the last 6 months, people have been losing their HWH time because of closures at the halfway houses. You can go to the FAMM website and search FAMM here as well. People unfortunately, are finding out that their HWH time is being lost at the last minute, and it just is what it is.

Also, if you read some of the posts on here, most people would tell you (and your brother) that it is much better to stay in the camp than go to HWH anyway. My husband is currently at a camp and has long decided that if/when given the option of HWH or staying at the camp, he is staying at the camp. Although in his case, the max HWH time he can receive is 45 days and he's pretty much been told he will probably get HC. We aren't banking on that though, so just figure he will stay at the camp. HWH are way more restrictive so in your brother's case, he may also want to decide if he would rather just stay at the camp for that extra month as opposed to going to the HWH now.

There are a lot more people that are more familiar here than I am with the whole process, but like I said, do some searching and you will get a lot of answers.

Also, if he's at the Pensacola Camp, that is supposedly one of the best camps there is, so any HWH is definitely going to be a big step down from that and for 1 more month stay in the camp, he should seriously consider if it's worth going to the HWH, paying them 25% of his gross income, abiding by their restrictive rules, etc. or just sticking it out for 1 more month and going right home to SR.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-06-2018), Gardis.Girl13 (03-06-2018), MrsDeeKay (03-06-2018), safran (03-06-2018), xolady (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 01:25 PM

My husband was at Pensacola camp.... he opted not to try HWH because he was told they are hard to get into so one may have to stay in camp longer than sentenced time waiting for his stint in HWH! Also, like RockChalk said, there are more rules and hoops to jump through in HWH than just doing out his time at camp.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-06-2018), xolady (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,935 Times in 11,159 Posts

I went to a HWH from a medium security prison, and I should have stayed where I was. Some members have said the same thing after going to a HWH from a camp, but the decision is up to him.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:07 PM

I went from a low security and did 6 months of halfway house. I was glad to get it, but I’ve told others that are still in that 2-3 months would be ideal if you want a little transition time before returning home. I doubt that there Is a good chance at all to change the bop’s decision, unless you know a US Senator well. I strongly agree with what others have suggested in this thread. The shorter time might be a blessing in disguise, and either the short stay or avoiding the HH experience are both good choices.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free At Last 5 View Post
I went from a low security and did 6 months of halfway house. I was glad to get it, but Iíve told others that are still in that 2-3 months would be ideal if you want a little transition time before returning home. I doubt that there Is a good chance at all to change the bopís decision, unless you know a US Senator well. I strongly agree with what others have suggested in this thread. The shorter time might be a blessing in disguise, and either the short stay or avoiding the HH experience are both good choices.
Mine is in a camp and eligible for home detention in January (we are assuming that means either HWH or HC). At that point he will have served just over 13 months. I don't think for him, there would be any benefit to go from a camp, to a more restrictive HWH (for 45 days) to Supervised release/freedom or even a combination of HWH/HC (for the 45 days) would be of any benefit.

His biggest issue at the camp has been the lack of privacy in terms of finding quiet places to read and do his own work. There have been some other issues, but that's the biggest. He's doing the best he can with a crappy situation. He's got a routine and just found out today he is now "promoted" to a job in education. A lot of it in there is what you do to make the situation better for yourself, and for a guy that is generally pretty passive in life, he has done a good job at making that lousy situation a best as he can for himself while at the same time, playing by the rules.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 07:10 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,935 Times in 11,159 Posts

Have him ask his case manager if a HWH is involved, Because of the recent bop decision to cancel many existing HWH contracts, some inmates are being sent from prison directly to home confinement. If that's what they will recommend in his case, it will be supervised by a US Probation officer (not by a HWH) and it will be like an early release to supervised release/probation.

He may have more restrictions during his HC time, but he will be living at home.