Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Home Visit- what to expect?

I was contacted that I will have an home visit tomorrow by a US probation Officer. My husband is scheduled for HC in July. Can anyone let me know what to expect? We had a home visit by a different probation officer prior to his sentencing and she just walked around the house, didn't ask questions or anything. At the visit tomorrow, will this new guy tell me about phone requirements for HC? Will he open up drawers and closets in the house? Do I need to have anything ready for him to look at? My husband doesn't have any drug or alcohol testing required as part of his supervised release conditions so I think having alcohol in the house is OK. Any advice would be welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndieNik View Post
I was contacted that I will have an home visit tomorrow by a US probation Officer. My husband is scheduled for HC in July. Can anyone let me know what to expect? We had a home visit by a different probation officer prior to his sentencing and she just walked around the house, didn't ask questions or anything. At the visit tomorrow, will this new guy tell me about phone requirements for HC? Will he open up drawers and closets in the house? Do I need to have anything ready for him to look at? My husband doesn't have any drug or alcohol testing required as part of his supervised release conditions so I think having alcohol in the house is OK. Any advice would be welcomed.
I had a home visit last year, she did a pretty quick walk through of the house, didn't really ask me any questions. I would suggest asking any questions you have because she didn't tell me much unless I directly asked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-23-2018), xolady (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Thanked 5,722 Times in 2,993 Posts

As above said ask them your questions. From reading over the years about this everyone's case is treated as individual. Every PO is different I think as long as you follow exactly what the PO say's and requires things usually go good. Good luck and congrats on him coming home!!!
Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,768 Times in 11,570 Posts

It depends on the Probation Officer. They are looking for the availability of anything that would violate his specific terms of release and/or be dangerous to the PO when they come around to check on him. You can find the ones imposed by his sentencing judge in his Judgment & Commitment Order (available on Pacer.gov), but also any additional ones added by US Probation.

It is your best chance to get your questions answered, such as their "search" authority, etc. Mine also asked everyone else in the residence if they approved of having me live there.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:36 PM

We were the same. Alcohol and drugs were not an issue. It will be small chit chat that is almost scripted. He wants to make sure that you want him to come home. Will ask how you are, how is he, do you get to communicate much, .....trying to judge the relationship. He will look in all closets, rooms, look in large cabinets to make sure it is a safe place for all involved. There has to be a home phone that they can call your husband on. The ankle monitor is not connected to the phone line. Just plugged into an electrical outlet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-24-2018), Lovebirds (02-01-2018), Sarianna (01-26-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 07:44 PM

Mine were pretty uneventful. Less than five minutes, first one was the longest. Walk through the house, saw the rooms, where I was sleeping and talked for a few minutes. Subsequent home visits were even quicker. How's everything going, quick walkthrough and left.

For me, they always visited in pairs, never alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to de8er For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-26-2018), Sarianna (01-26-2018)