Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Default 6 month's housing due to the BOP "public law amendment"?

My child is going to get 6 month's housing due to the BOP "public law amendment". Can anyone tell me more about this law? From what I can find, it looks like she will be going to an RRC instead of being required to go to homeless shelter (since her home at time of arrest is not an option and I do not live in her state/district).

Thanks for any information you may provide!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2018, 03:40 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,079 Times in 14,362 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO I've moved your thread to the Federal Prison System forum There are members here very knowledgeable about the BOP, so take a look around and someone will be along to answer your questions.

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
seana (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:01 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,993 Times in 11,191 Posts

This is as close as I could come to your "public law amendment". It begins with "pre-release community confinement".
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...3-fr-62440.pdf

The bop usually sends prisoners to a half way house, or to home confinement at the end of their sentence. The second chance act changed the maximum HWH time from 6 months to one year, but almost no one receives anywhere near that amount of "community corrections time". Since you said that home confinement isn't possible for your daughter, HWH is where she is likely to be sent. Her unit team Case Manager can tell her how much, if any, HWH she will receive.

At the end of her sentence, her release date, (she is still in bop custody at the HWH) where she will be able to live will be decided by her US Probation Officer (if she was also sentenced to a period of supervised release). A homeless shelter is the last resort. While she is in the HWH, she is expected to get a job and find an acceptable residence for after she is released by the bop.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:18 PM

She can apply to do her home confinement in your state if that is something you would be interested in....she would have to be approved then your home would have to be approved. It is called an Interstate something...I can’t remember the term. My husband was convicted in Florida and is now on HC here in Louisiana.
Old 04-01-2018, 05:04 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,993 Times in 11,191 Posts

In federal prison, she will be released to the judicial district where she was convicted. Changing that to a different state requires a "change of release location" to be approved by US Probation. Her case manager submits the request with as many legitimate reasons for the change 4 to 6 months before she would be going to a half way house. If approved, she would then go to a HWH in the new location and would be released to supervised release/federal probation there. That US probation office would also have to approve her living arrangements for both home confinement and where she can reside after her bop sentence is completed.

The interstate compact for probation/parole transfers, ICAOS, deals with State cases, not federal ones.