Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Probation, Halfway House and Community Supervision This forum is dedicated to information & discussions relating to U.S. Federal Probation & Community Supervision, including half-way houses.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 AM

Default Blindsided-he was ready to be released but they didn't call his name

Hello everyone. I am hoping to find answers as quickly as possible. My friend was scheduled to release to the HWH this past Monday. Needless to say, he wasn't released and had no idea why. He has had his date for 11 months! He has 6 months left on his sentence, after serving 8 1/2 years. He had a plane ticket home, bags packed, and said his goodbyes and was left just standing there, wondering why his name was not called? He saw his unit team last week and no one mentioned anything that would even make him think he wasn't going home. At his last psych. appt. they were having a conversation about his concerns on reentering society after so long and he told her he didn't like the way everything has changed with multiple issues regarding race and politics. and when she said go out and make a change he said "you can't make a change the right way when things have deteriorated this far without doing something..." and he stopped talking. Then she used the word "radical" and he agreed. He never said he was going to do something radical. So she said she thought he was going to do something "radical" like bomb something?! Now they pulled his date and his bed at the HWH. This was clearly a conversation that was misconstrued. My question is, who do I need to talk to try and get the decision reversed. They are going to kick him out in 6 months with nowhere to go and no opportunities to get back on his feet. They are setting him up for failure. He had every intention of utilizing all that the halfway house had to offer. And his approval went through so many hands 11 months ago and each person signed off on it. He has 8 years of monthly psych appointments and not one time has there been this kind of concern. I just don't know what to do or who to call on his behalf to get him home? Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2018, 03:42 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,029 Posts

Trying to look at the bright side, from what I've heard of how many half-way houses operate, it may be a hidden blessing in disguise that he just finish out his time in prison and skip the HWH business. I hear they often give you just enough rope to hang yourself with... often a revolving door back to prison before you even get a chance to be released fully onto the streets.

In any case, if he only has 6 months left to do on his sentence, I doubt any administrative remedy is going to get that Psych Hold lifted before he tops out. Probably best to just play it cool and try to mend things over with the Psychology Department, so that this whole incident doesn't follow him out onto supervised release...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (04-11-2018), Sarianna (04-14-2018), xolady (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,993 Times in 11,191 Posts

Since he is scheduled for psych appointments when he was supposed to be at the HWH, I agree that his last visit to the prison psychologist is probably the reason why he wasn't released. If his records don't show "approved for release by psychology" he won't be.

I doubt that you can do anything, but he can. He will have to convince the prison psych people that he is stable enough to be sent to community corrections. If it was a misunderstanding, only he knows what actually happened, he needs to go back and try to undo the problem that came from the previous meeting. Prison staff members are not his friends, they are all COs, so it is always better to keep any opinions to yourself when dealing with any of them.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,592 Times in 1,029 Posts

And I just wanted to add that "psych holds" aren't limited to just the federal system, either.

I had one placed on my file during my last stint in the Idaho state prison system, which prevented me from going down below medium-custody and going back to the minimum-security "Farm" or Community Work Center either. So I had to top my time out, day for day, in the higher security prison complex and be released straight from there as well.

Getting a "psych hold" placed on your file can happen for a variety of reasons, but once it's on there, it can be pretty hard to to get it lifted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (04-11-2018), Sarianna (04-14-2018)