Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) - Chowchilla Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Central California Women's Facility located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM

Default Getting an inmate eyeglasses

My penpal friend in Chowchilla has managed to lose her eyeglasses.

These were perscription glasses for nearsightedness - not "reading" glasses. She needs these to see more than a few feet away.

I have found various documents that indicate that an inmate is allowed to posses a pair of eyeglasses, and that they are allowed to bring a pair with them when they arrive, but nothing that says how to replace a pair.

Can anyone help me out?
Do I just get a new pair and mail them to her?

Thanks
R Mc.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 PM

A friend in CCI told me that where he is, guys are allowed to have prescription eyeglasses sent in from the outside without any prison approval requirements. He is dealing with a company from Miami called "Prison Optical Inc". Just a suggestion.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:29 PM

Thanked 3,477 Times in 1,628 Posts

I used Zenni to send a pair to a federal prison and was very impressed with the service. Due to BoP goofs it was a real ordeal too, but the Feds no longer allow this.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lini View Post
A friend in CCI told me that where he is, guys are allowed to have prescription eyeglasses sent in from the outside without any prison approval requirements. He is dealing with a company from Miami called "Prison Optical Inc". Just a suggestion.
I searched and couldn't find a "Prison" optical. I found a "Prism" optical, which is just a mail order house, didn't appear to have any special considerations for sending eyeglasses to a prison.

R. Mc.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Sorry that I don't have any more information for you. I was just passing on what my friend wrote in a letter. If you like I can ask him for more details but we communicate by snail mail, two weeks each way.
Good luck.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,876 Times in 2,548 Posts

It is Prism Optical. I've used them before to send glasses to my son. Also $39 Glasses. Be forewarned though, she will need a recent prescription. Recent meaning from the last 11 months. In KY, our prisons offer eye exams every so often. Instead of him ordering the ugly huge $3 frames from them, he sends me the script and I order them online.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:39 PM

Well, if they need an actual prescription she will be out of luck. She has been incarcerated for 2-1/2 years and there is nothing recent.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

She can ask medical for an eye exam. All prisons have eye doctors that pop in every so often. Dentists too.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
She can ask medical for an eye exam. All prisons have eye doctors that pop in every so often. Dentists too.
Yeah, she said it takes 5 months to be seen.

The situation is that she got involved in a fight, was trying to pull her friend out of the fray when the pepper spray started. A C/O took her to a room, patted her down, took her eyeglasses and then the ended up getting lost.

If was just needing a new prescription I would say she could wait 5 months, but being nearsighted and not having any glasses at all would suck.

R. Mc.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry. That's how it works unfortunately.

When my son first went to jail, he had contacts. He lost one. Several months later, he broke his hand and had to have surgery. They had to remove the other contact prior to that. After surgery, he went to the prison hospital, with no glasses or contacts at that point. He is very nearsighted. Had to wait 4 months to get the exam, then wait another almost month to send me the script, order online, wait for them to be shipped to him. And then another few months for the eye doctor to return to make the adjustments.

It's all a waiting game.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:04 PM

UPDATE:

I finally managed to get my penpal a pair of glasses!

It was a challenge, and took over two months, but she can see again!

So the first step was getting a pair of glasses without a prescription. Thank God for Ebay! I paid $2 for a pair of cheap glasses, which included shipping. Fortunately, my penpal has a simple diopter correction and both eyes were the same. This wouldn't have worked for astigmatism or if the two eyes were different.

Next I had to get them to her. Just sending them in the mail didn't work, they were returned.

What did work was to send them to the "Chief Medical Officer" at the prison, along with a note saying that these were for near-sightedness, (not "reading") and that the inmate was totally without glasses and was suffering as a result.

It took several weeks for the glasses to filter through but she did finally get the glasses! She was told, however, that they wouldn't normally allow glasses to be sent this way but they made an exception for her, I assume because she was totally without glasses and really needed them.

Thank you, thank you Chief Medical Officer!!

R. Mc.
The Following User Says Thank You to rmc50 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (08-01-2015)