Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,126 Times in 577 Posts
Default What projects are you doing or have you done to pass the time?

As we all know, keeping busy is important. Has anyone started a project(s) while waiting for their loved one to come home?

I'm looking for monthly or yearly ideas. I would consider school a project as well. Im waiting to see if the school by me receives it accreditidation for a PhD program. Very undecided due to time and money.

I know that time spent wisely makes for a happier life and less resentment. Also, when you enjoy life time moves much faster!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
torieoo (09-03-2017), xolady (12-07-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 05:55 PM

I go back to school on Thursday so I'm looking forward to that because it helps pass the time tremendously! Also I've started to look at colors because I'm gonna repaint my room to keep myself busy and because I need a change of color in there haha
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 PM

I might repaint eventually, but most rooms in my house. I would have to hire someone to do it because I suck at painting. We painted my little guys room before he left, but there are places we still needed to fix. I have to do that as well.

I think I'm going to start with decluttering. I wanted to do more this summer, but it didn't work out that way. I know if I do too much at once than nothing gets finished.

I think I need to make some lists.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:20 PM

I've been wanting to redo my room forever and I figured this was the perfect time so i dont go utterly insane
Old 09-03-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torieoo View Post
I've been wanting to redo my room forever and I figured this was the perfect time so i dont go utterly insane
What color did you pick?
Old 09-03-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
What color did you pick?
Gray ! And then I have shelves going around my room so I might make them a teal color . Right now there's spots of sample paint all around it
Old 11-17-2017, 04:08 PM

Pass the time.....

Well, there's spend all August and September in Chicago where i worked in the crappiest conditions nearly 24/7 .. then back from that took a week "vacation", during which I fixed my house up to basically section 8 standards for parole (who then said Josh can't live there - it's too close to the ghetto - lol)..had to take an extra week, half of which i spent finishing the fixing up, other half fixing my fuel pump in my truck, followed by the water pump.

That kind of got me to last week, and ...oops...the outlet pipe for the sump in the basement froze, i forgot about that. so i resurrected a project (i do, among a zillion other things, electronic design) to heat the outlet, sense sump water level, run the pump and a batter backup pump and keep tabs on basement temperature. so now every evening i put maybe 20 tiny parts on a board with tweezers. there's 182 parts on it.

jpay-mail Josh, chat on the phone some with him to get us through the holidays, try to write him a legible snail mail letter once a week so he gets one, write a letter to his buddy from the level 2 facility he just left (nobody writes to him so I do).

That's when Max the Dangerous Pit Bull isn't literally dragging me to take her for a walk (so she can socialize) and my nearby daughter isn't "encouraging" me to get out more (and take her to breakfast at waffle house - lol).

Yesterday I rummaged in the (now nastyish) basement for the clear pane of glass that Josh insisted he removed from the front screen door and was in the basement and that i should put it back to save money, only to find that he remembered wrong and it was actually a torn-up screen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IMissJosh For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (12-08-2017), xolady (12-07-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,054 Posts

Built a chicken coop and raise chickens and ducks for eggs and meat. Gardening (always something to plant in succession, weeding, watering, harvesting). Physical fitness (lifting weights, walking, yoga).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-17-2017), xolady (12-07-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 05:04 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 14,245 Times in 5,450 Posts

This week I taught myself how to make washable, reversible face masks. My immune system is compromised so I'll be wearing them during peak flu season and during dust storms (live in the desert with Valley Fever). But, they're not that difficult to make and it takes so little fabric, that I thought I could make a bunch and donate to our cancer center for people who need to wear them during chemo. They are far more comfortable than a paper surgical mask and look a lot better, too!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (12-06-2017), Fridyrr.Likn (11-20-2017), xolady (12-07-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:48 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
This week I taught myself how to make washable, reversible face masks. My immune system is compromised so I'll be wearing them during peak flu season and during dust storms (live in the desert with Valley Fever). But, they're not that difficult to make and it takes so little fabric, that I thought I could make a bunch and donate to our cancer center for people who need to wear them during chemo. They are far more comfortable than a paper surgical mask and look a lot better, too!
This is so GREAT! I got the sewing itch a week or so ago and cut up all our horrid microfiber baby blankets that we never used and made washcloths out of them. I NEED to be making all the Christmas blankets but I'll probably wait till the last possible second and be sewing Christmas Eve...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fridyrr.Likn For This Useful Post:
miamac (11-20-2017), xolady (12-07-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
This is so GREAT! I got the sewing itch a week or so ago and cut up all our horrid microfiber baby blankets that we never used and made washcloths out of them. I NEED to be making all the Christmas blankets but I'll probably wait till the last possible second and be sewing Christmas Eve...
I wish I knew how to sew!

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
xolady (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 PM

Thanked 4,073 Times in 2,187 Posts

Well I've done just about everything I ever wanted as far as filling time. I tried gardening, cooking, volunteered at a ton of stuff. I binge read and binge on netflix series that I never watched before. I used to walk about 10 miles a day just to fill my days. I love to read so mainly when I'm bored I read just about anything I can get my hands on.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Well I've done just about everything I ever wanted as far as filling time. I tried gardening, cooking, volunteered at a ton of stuff. I binge read and binge on netflix series that I never watched before. I used to walk about 10 miles a day just to fill my days. I love to read so mainly when I'm bored I read just about anything I can get my hands on.
I just downloaded a few books. I used to be an avid reader and life got in the way. Now I need constructive ways to occupy my time and my mind.

xolady (12-11-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
I just downloaded a few books. I used to be an avid reader and life got in the way. Now I need constructive ways to occupy my time and my mind.

If you have a library card, you can download books for free. Also, you can get books on audio...which is great to occupy your mind while doing mindless tasks!

Books on audio are great when traveling to visits, too!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrsDeeKay For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDeeKay View Post
If you have a library card, you can download books for free. Also, you can get books on audio...which is great to occupy your mind while doing mindless tasks!

Books on audio are great when traveling to visits, too!
I am looking into audio books after the holidays especially for traveling purposes! You read my mind!

MrsDeeKay (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I am looking into audio books after the holidays especially for traveling purposes! You read my mind!

The audio books from the library are also free.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:45 AM

Thanked 4,073 Times in 2,187 Posts

Quote:
You can always read do it yourself books!!!