Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > LOVING A... > Loving a Violent Offender
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Loving a Violent Offender Discuss the issues of having a violent offender as part of your life. Please keep in mind that some of us are married to violent offenders. Please remember that these offenders are human, and as such, can change... just like anyone else.

Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 PM

Post Robbery: A violent offense or does it have to be ARMED robbery?

Hey you guys!

I am a baby to PTO..but am really loving the support I get here! My boyfriend is in jail currently..it's really hard. He'll be going to prison for at least two years (not so long, I realize..but feels like forever to me!)

My question doesn't even involve him, however...
I was convicted of Robbery III here in the great state of Oregon when I was barely 18. (They arrested me and tried to charge me with Robbery II, a Measure 11 crime here in Oregon..mandatory minimum sentancing)
Basically it was just a shoplifting gone terribly wrong..I was assaulted by plain-clothed security guards and roughed up horribly, not realizing they were security guards or people of authority I "resisted arrest" by throwing my arms in front of my body and not immediately putting them behind my back, and my boyfriend at the time (5'9 140 lbs) shoved one of them..she broke a nail so it was considered "bodily harm" hence a robbery!

So now to this day, I am considered a felon...for something stupid I did when I was a child, and addicted to heroin on top of that..stealing to support my habit. (I am now over a year clean! )
So I'm wondering: If there was no weapon involved, is it still considered a VIOLENT offense or violent felony?? It's been almost two years since I was convicted and I haven't thought to ask before now because I'm filling out a damned application to an apartment and they want to know if my felony was "sex related, or violent"

Any answers or imput would be lovely! Sorry if this isn't exactly the right place for this sort of question..but I really have started to like this particular forum.

<3/T
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 PM
No Longer His Prisoner

In NC, any robbery is considered a violent crime.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Default :(

Really? That's so lame..

I'm hoping it's different in Oregon..I guess I'll just have to research it more and hope that some more of the amazing members reply
Old 11-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,182 Posts

Here is what i found for oregon. Yes robbery is considered a violent crime.

http://www.crimevictimsunited.org/me...tion/index.htm

look at measure 11
Old 11-18-2007, 02:41 PM

I wonder but you were not charge with a measure 11 charge. What I do since my hubby has a record, I call over the phone first and just ask the question and explain it to them. My huband would classify a violent crime as like assualt 3, 2,1 or armed robbery ect. Some places if you talk to them and let them know they might just require a higher security depost. I live in Oregon and have a hard time as well finding a place that will accept me and my husband cause of his record.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 AM
Love It or Leave It XXX

Yep thats whats my baby is up for, he had no weapon but he is a violent offender charged unnder the violent crimes task force here in CA, AND CONGRATS ON BEING CLEAN FOR SO LONG! i HAVE HAD FRIENDS WHO TRIED TO GET OFF THAT STUFF AND SAID IT WAS REALLY HARD
Old 02-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,182 Posts

Alot of states give out the violent title because of intent to harm comes in to play
Old 02-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Crazy never felt so good

It wouldn't be considered robbery if they didn't consider it violent!
Old 02-23-2008, 02:20 PM
From Shame to Grace
Donation Award 

I second the congrats on not using for a year! Good for you!! You are going to meetings, right? Keep coming back, it works if you work it, so work it; you're worth it.

That's weird about those security guards. Who do they think they are, Robocop? I was a department store security guard when I was putting myself through college, and the rule was you didn't touch anybody unless they were attacking you or someone else. Your only recourse for any property crime was to call the cops. Here in New York, unless they are off-duty police officers, security guards have no more rights than anybody else to apprehend a suspect. They are just employees of a corporation, not law-enforcement agents. And if a security guard roughs anyone up, shoplifter or not, they face charges for A & B here in New York. Furthermore, if a security guard tries to harm you, you have every legal right to defend yourself. I'm shocked that you took a felony conviction in that matter. Here in New York, those guards would have been the ones facing changes.

Last edited by nordmann; 02-23-2008 at 02:21 PM..