Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:12 PM

Thanks everyone for the help. You guys are great. All the information and support is wonderful.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 PM

does anyone know what you would be allowed to wear? can he wear a dress shirt, and tie, etc...... does he have to get married in prison attire?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonia
does anyone know what you would be allowed to wear? can he wear a dress shirt, and tie, etc...... does he have to get married in prison attire?
Hi antonia! Welcome to PTO! I just got married at a Florida facility so I can answer your question Unfortunately, he had to get married in his prison blues, stinky I know, but those are the rules. I wore a regular dress at my wedding, but the woman who got married before me wore a white wedding dress and brought a bouqet of flower - to each her own Basically, whatever you were has to be visiting material attire - no low cut dresses, nothing see through or too short.

I hope this helps! Good Luck to you!

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!
Old 11-14-2004, 09:58 PM
love eternally

Default A long awaited wedding!

I'm in Florida and recently my soon to be husband and I's marriage was JUST approved, after 6 long months of waiting and anticipating the day that we can be husband and wife, it is ALMOST here. We filed for the request a little over six months ago; copies of his divorce papers, signing what seems to me to be a permission slip, and now I just have to wait to get the marriage license and coordinate our families schedules and that of the prisons. I'll post more details after the actual marriage takes place If anyone has any questions I'll try my best to answer them It seems as if it took forever, but in all actuality, it was approved rather quickly. I suggest when the 5-6 month mark comes around that you call the capital/main offices and get on them! It really does help a deal. The chaplain at my hubby's institution couldn't find the paper work until today! I'll post more details for those who are looking to get married in a FSP.

- that's me jumping for joy!

sandra

<CENTER>...every day is THAT much closer...<BL>

</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>
Old 12-17-2004, 09:42 PM

I sure wish this forum would have been around "back in my day". I married my ex husband on August 9, 1979 in Alachua County jail. He was shortly thereafter sent to MCI with a mandatory 3-25 sentence. I did the whole gamut with no support from anyone. I was supeonaed to testify shortly after he left for MCI in the case of Holden/Washington vs. the State of Florida. They sued the state of Florida to be able to marry while Sam Washington was in prison at FSP. (At that timie you could marry in the county jail but not the state prison system) You all can thank these lovely people for being able to marry in the system now. They did win their case (obviously) but not in time for them to marry inside. They did marry outside and I was a happy bridesmaid at their wedding. Sadly Sam Washington was killed in a car accident about 6 months after his release. For my own story, we stayed married for four years, I could not do the wait any longer. We didn't really have any gain time back then or anything, my ex-husband was finally released June 1997 (18 years for an armed robbery that netted him 62.00) from New River Correctional, he was the one that started the band program there. I am soooo happy to report that he was released, got the heck out of this state and settle elsewhere and has made a great success out of himself. He has since remarried, fathered a child and we are the best of friends. I myself am remarried also and have two children. Hang in there, it's a REALLY tough road.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:01 PM

I married my husband while he was in prison. I live in jacksonville, and I had to drive to Tampa to get the license. I paid an additional fee because he was not there. I then sent the license to the institution. He signed them in front of the notary, and then they mail them back to the court house in Tampa. Then the license was issued and sent back to me. We were able to choose our date and we were married a month later. It was a lengthy process, but well worth it.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:45 PM
a breath of fresh aire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelymother200
How do you go about getting married in prison.. I am trying to find out and i am lost. my Soon to be hubby:love: is going to florida state prison for 7 yrs and we want to get married while he is there.. can any one help me???? can i get a (Group hug)
howdy! have you found out how to get married in the florida prison? may i ask which correctional institution he is in, i have a loved on in coleman low located in coleman florida. thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:17 PM

Hey all! My hubby (not official) has been asking me to find out how much it will cost to get married in prison. Does anyone know? Also if anyone has any advice on what to do and how to do it etc.... I would greatly appreciate it. I have no clue about the process! TY in advance!

Old 05-24-2005, 11:35 PM

I need some help My fiance and I have been engaged for over a year and now we want to get married and alothough. I was always happy about being with him forever and still am. Well, long story short, I went to mail the papers and I felt very scared I mean terrified, Not becasue I don't love him. Just becasue well my mom still does not know him and no one in both of our familes are going to be there except for our son and my best friend from New York. Anyone know why I'm feeling like this. My mom remarried several months after my dad passed away and shortly got remarried after stating many time growing up that she will NEVER get married agian. Her voice stays in my head all the time from me growing up about shes Never going to get married. Confused and In Love
Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 AM

Exclamation Help:(

Hello everyone, I'll be getting married soon, and I already have both our birth certificates and My social but I need help getting his....or do I not need it? I was told I did, then that I did'nt. Can someone please clear this up for me? Oh another question would be.

He's been married before and they annuled it but done in differant states. I tried getting information about a 3 month marriage 7 years ago but I can't find anything that the marriage occured.

So my question would be, If they annuled it, would there would be a record ? becasue annuled means it never really happened. (right) I'm so confused lol can someone please help me?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:27 PM

Hi Sergios,

I just went to apply for our marriage license last week and I did not need my honey's birth certificate. If you search on most county courthouse website, you will see it is NOT a requirement to get married here in Florida. You will need his social security number. Also, if your fiance has been married before you MUST supply the chaplain with a divorce record. That is very important in order to get the process rolling! Congrats sweetie, and if you think of any other questions feel free to PM me anytime, as I just completed the lengthy process myself! Good luck to you and Sergio!

Hugs!
JW
Old 06-28-2005, 06:47 AM

Question Wanting to marry in Florida

Trying to find out, my man talked to the chaplain and got the information for inmate marriages and wastold the entire process takes up to 6 months. If we want to marry next November, should we wait to start the process or start it now? Anyone already been married in FL? Want info on gowns, flowers, tux's, photos <---what can or can't we have? Lots of questions...
Old 06-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Congrats Cinco's Lady!

I am getting married here in Florida in just a few weeks. If the chaplain told your fiance the entire process would take about 6 months, he is probably right. The chaplain at my fiance's prison told us it would take 4-6 months and it ended up taking us 6 months to finally get our marriage license. I've heard the process taking others just 2-3 months, so I'd estimate anywhere from 3-6 months time.

You should be able to purchase rings for you and your fiance, however I believe they must be $50 or less in value and you must bring in a copy of the receipt to show the chaplain. You will be able to take pictures of your special day. I believe at most parks, the inmate in charge of taking pictures during visitation can be there to take pictures of your special day. Your dress must be within normal visitation attire rules. The chaplain should be able to assist you with all these questions when it comes time to having your wedding ceremony.

Hopefully Spike'sWife will come allong and add some more comments, as her and her hubby just tied the knot last week!!

Good luck to you!!!

JW

Last edited by JamesWifey; 06-28-2005 at 09:21 AM..
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM

So do you have to have only the polaroids like fom visitaion? Or actual photos? Can I have flowers and can he wear a tux? Someone told me that the groom CAN wear regular clothes, just wondering. Looking forward to the comments by the other girl that just got married...I'm so excited!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 PM

Cinco's,

The photographs will be poloroid. We are not allowed to take our own pictures. Someone at the prison will be taking the pictures. In Florida prisons unfortunately our men cannot wear tux's. For every Florida wedding I've seen here on PTO, inmates were wearing their regular prison uniform. They cannot wear regular clothes Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I know it stinks!

JW

Last edited by JamesWifey; 06-28-2005 at 01:02 PM..
Old 07-03-2005, 08:54 AM
strong enough

My daughters and I are wearing wrist corsgages of carnations and I explained the the florist about where we are getting married she is using lace ribbon, no wires are involved, no setting off the metal detector. I also am going to weave flowers in my hair, I am pretty sure you cannot carry a bouquet, which sucks, I love flowers. And he said not to bother getting him a boutinerre cause its probably a no no. I know they don't allow us to bring cakes or cupcakes which is a bummer too, a friend of mine married in another state and she was allowed store bought cupcakes from the bakery as long as they were in that plastic container and sealed shut. Good luck, has the chaplain approved you already????
Old 07-05-2005, 08:36 AM

No, we've just begun the process. We've completed the paperwork and sent it in. I've spoke with the chaplain and so has he, I don't foresee any problems for us to get approved. Is that common? Wow, that's disappointing he can't wear regular clothes, but we can always renew our vows when he's released.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:28 PM

me and my man just started the paper work i can't wait until am his wife he is my world i love him so much
Old 07-08-2005, 04:07 PM

I spoke with the chaplain today, unfortunetly yes, they have to wear thier prison uniforms and he said he can request from the warden to have someone there to take photos, but couldn't guarantee it. How disappointing, but even though the little stuff bothers me, I love him to death and our marriage will overcome these 'petty' obstacles.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
He's Home in APRIL!!
Donation Award 

Cinco's Lady:

Hey just came on and saw your post about getting married in Florida. I just got married June 21st. And if I can answer any questions please feel free to PM me. But let me see what I can tell ya now. First each prison is a little different. Cause like Jameswifey said about the rings and price I was told that at the other prison my honey was at but not at the one he's at now. I never had to show a receipt at all. But yes, he will have to wear his blues ( which sucked cause I do still have his dress clothes from his trial he could've worn!! ) and your dress will have to conform to visitation rules. At the prison (Tomoka C. I.) where my honey is at I was told that I could have only "1" single stem flower and nothing else. We had to buy the pictures from the canteen window just like when we visit. We did 14 pictures but one of the other girls said that at the prison she got married at they were limited to how many photos they could buy. As far as guest we were allowed to have 4 people that are on his visitation list and I was allowed to have up to 4 of my immediate family members that were not on his visitation list. And we got an hour after the ceremony to spend together with our guests.

In Florida now they only do weddings certain months out of the year. March, June, Sept., and Dec. They do pick the date but under certain circumstances you can possibly get the date changed. James and I did cause the original date for us was supposed to be June 16th but his family couldn't come that day so they let us change it to June 21st. But I can not stress enough that every prison is different on how they and their chaplain handle weddings. So your best bet is to get with the chaplain...but I was told that at both prisons that we started this process at the inmate has to go to the chaplain first and speak to him and get the application first. And "yes" the whole process does take about 6 months.

Well, hon, I hope that helps. But if I left anything out please feel free to PM me any time. Congrats!!

Finally and Forever,
~Spikeswife~

Last edited by JWSPMS; 07-08-2005 at 05:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JWSPMS For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2005, 06:43 PM

Thanks! I really appreciate everyone's input as I have 'NO IDEA' what all to expect. My guy has already went to the chaplain and got the forms and we sent them off, so we will see!
Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 PM
love eternally

Default valid?

I'm not sure anyone will know, but I am just going to throw this one out there because I figured I'd ask...

Anyone know how long the approval is valid for?

We didn't get married last year, for personal reasons, but now feel the time is right.

I wish i didn't have to wait until tomorrow to call the chaplian.

sandra

<CENTER>...every day is THAT much closer...<BL>

</CENTER><CENTER></CENTER>
Old 08-20-2005, 02:47 PM
David Brooks

This is all news to me... you can get married while in prison? How does that work? I am in Ct and he in FL. You do it throught the mail? I am totally confused... can someone please explain this to me? thanks
When you get tired,
I'll be your rest.

Feburary 2nd, 2006
Old 08-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Hiya, yes you must ask your fiancee to mail you a request to marry form. and there you'll get the process started there is alot of info here but if you have any other questions let me know. Take care~
Old 08-20-2005, 03:05 PM
David Brooks

thanks
When you get tired,
I'll be your rest.

Feburary 2nd, 2006