Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
So Very Soon!!!

Default Proxy

My husband and I were married by Proxy this past February. He went to the law library there at the unit and filled the non-notarized form out and sent it to me. I took it to Madison County and was told they had to have some ID. His mother wasnt in a position to help with that so I called the unit and talked to records and requested a copy of his photo on his prison ID. They told me I had to fax a request stating what I needed and the reason I needed it. I did and a few days later there it sat in the mail with a letter from the unit stating I owed them $0.41 for the cost of the stamp and the page with his photo on it. I took it to the county clerk in Madison and a few moments later I walked out with our liscense. I found a really nice preacher who gave the word "Christiananity" meaning and he performed the ceremony with my best friend (female) standing in for my husband. I hope this helps.

Jess

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktx
Same here. We got married in wichita falls and it was pretty easy. .hollar if you have questions
I used to live in Wichita Falls, my baby's daddy and family are still there. Not that you care, but believe it or not I miss it there. I had a lot of fun in Wichita Falls maybe to much fun. I live in MO now and hate the area but love my job and my husband so I am staying here until he gets out and is ready to move. Nope he will not move with me back to Texas (its cause the baby's daddy is there). Oh the baby is 14yrs old. LOL not much of a baby but she is still my baby.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 AM

We are listed as common law married with TDCJ; however, they wouldnt allow us to attend any seminars without a license. So after struggling to get all the paperwork in and a huge headache, we are going to be "legally" married on October 19 (Friday). I am a bit nervous. and feel a little bit awkward. His mother is going to be our proxy. Our son will be there (he is 15) and his sister. Is this normal to be nervous and a little bit scared?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:00 AM

Are Texas imates allowed to wear their wedding rings?
Old 12-30-2007, 02:14 AM

yes the inmates can wear wedding bands in TX prisons but they have to have a property slip on it and I think the chaplin has to approve it.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Missing Jason

I couln't open the link to the Federal Prison websit about getting married. Can someone give me a rundown. My boyfriend and I are wanting to get married once he is located.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Missing Jason

Default Getting married in Federal Prison

I couln't open the link to the Federal Prison websit about getting married. Can someone give me a rundown. My boyfriend and I are wanting to get married once he is located.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Proxy wedding in Waco, TX--recommend a judge?

Has anyone gotten married by proxy in Waco, TX? Have a nice justice of the peace you can recommend?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 PM

It doesn't have to be a Justice of the Peace. It can be anyone that is legally allowed to perform a wedding. You can have your minister do it if they are ordained.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:45 PM

Question Can a non Texas resident marry a Texas Inmate?

I live in Idaho and my honey is an inmate in Texas. We want to get married but he said I have to be a Texas resident first. Does anyone know if this is true now? I've seen posts from other non-resident's who married Texas inmates by proxy but the posts are all over a year old. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Texas Member
Donation Award 

Thought I'd post this here too...

The price of marriage licences in Texas is going up to $71 starting Sept 1.

I was talking to the county clerk the other day for someone and she let me know.

"But seek first His kingdom and his rightiousness, and all these things will be given unto you as well. Therefore, do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry abut itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:33-34
Old 09-13-2008, 02:53 PM
LOVING HIM 24/7

Default Really Helpful

Thanks
Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by inebrigoth View Post
I live in Idaho and my honey is an inmate in Texas. We want to get married but he said I have to be a Texas resident first. Does anyone know if this is true now? I've seen posts from other non-resident's who married Texas inmates by proxy but the posts are all over a year old. Thanks!
None of you have to be a texas resident! You can get married by proxy....

Good luck on getting married. I'm in the process of figuring it all out too. When are you getting married. I was thinking in July 2009. That might be too late for your plans of course, but if not... and you need a proxy, I can be there unless you're getting married on the other side of Texas where I will be. I have a friend marrying her guy - and she was from Europe.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 AM
holdin' it down...2009

I am a newly-wed, and I must say I got pretty lucky. My fiance was being held in Wiliamson County in Georgetown, TX. And in that jai, they won't allow weddings. So After going thru the whole proxy-thing... I found a judge that would do the wedding...and when I got to the courthouse, the secretary pulled some strings and had him brought him over!!! It has been the happiest day of my life so far...until I have his children! So we got to do it face to face, and had no idea that was even possile. The only thing is...they didn't let us kiss.....we got to shake hands..but O-well...I am his wife now, and I will make up for all that when he gets out! If anyone has qestions..feel free to ask...
Clove145 (01-25-2009)
Old 09-22-2008, 05:17 PM

question...about how long would you say all of this takes? by chance, if someone decided that they were going to get married in july, is it possible for this to already be done??

also, is marriage by proxy still the only way? thanks

Last edited by cynthiaamarie; 09-22-2008 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: spelling...blahh
Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM

Yes, for now, marriage by proxy is the only way. I was able to obtain my license on a Tuesday, and we were married 72 hours later.

It all depends on the county as far as the specific requirements, in which case it is best to phone the court for that county.

I took a week vacation and did it while I was visiting my in-laws.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:50 PM
tracesgirl

Default Getting married in Texas and back child support

My fiance and I are planning to marry soon, however, he owes back child support. Though we are working to pay it, it is very difficult with him being incarcerated (seperate issue). I know the marriage application requires a notarized statement that says "I AM NOT PRESENTLY DELINQUENT IN THE PAYMENT OF COURT-ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT. TRUE/FALSE." Can anyone tell me if this will prevent us from being able to marry in Texas by stating FALSE?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:52 PM
MOMLOVESUALL

My son lived in texas, but was incarcerated in indiana. He lived separate from his wife since 12-06. His wife has been in the country of india since then. He wants a divorce to marry his pregnant girlfriend. How can he file from a different state, so he can get re-married? Can he file from jail, he was just sentenced to 4 years.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 AM

He needs to file for divorce. He can file where he is, Indiana. It gets tricky when the spouse is out of the country. He would need to speak to a divorce lawyer where he is, if he needs to get married before his sentence ends.

You can possibly do a consultation by phone with a lawyer there, who can explain things to you better. They generally do not charge for the first consultation.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju1123 View Post
My fiance and I are planning to marry soon, however, he owes back child support. Though we are working to pay it, it is very difficult with him being incarcerated (seperate issue). I know the marriage application requires a notarized statement that says "I AM NOT PRESENTLY DELINQUENT IN THE PAYMENT OF COURT-ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT. TRUE/FALSE." Can anyone tell me if this will prevent us from being able to marry in Texas by stating FALSE?
I am not sure on this one. You may want to call the county in question and ask them specifically.

It could be that they are asking that question to determine that you are not responsible for that child support, but he is.

In our state, if it is a blended family and one spouse works and does not owe child support, but the other spouse does not work and owes child support, it comes out of the household income. AT least at one time it did.

My husband does not have children, and my children are foster children, so there is no issue of child support for us.
The Following User Says Thank You to abitofsunshine For This Useful Post:
juju1123 (11-03-2008)
Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM

Anyone have any idea's how this would work for us. I am in England, Ken is in Texas. Getting his birth certificate is no problem for me, but its the other legal stuff ... Help !

Donna x
Old 10-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Me and my husband got married when he was in the county in dallas. This is how we did it. If I remember right. He got the form mailed it to me. I filled it out and sent it in. Then they sent him a form and he had to fill it out and send it in to them (make sure he uses ink). Then I applied for the marriage license waited the 3 days then went in front of the JP with his mom as the proxy and that was that.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:39 PM
I love this man

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju1123 View Post

Hey juju, no it does not affect anything if he answers true... I recently got married on 9/25/08, and I didnt have to get anything nor did he notorized.... but the main point is that this doesnt affect anything. To be honest I wasnt even asked about it... and the clerk ladies there were more then nice... where do you plan on filing your papers?

The Following User Says Thank You to Antionne4ever For This Useful Post:
juju1123 (11-03-2008)
Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 AM
One day at a time...
Donation Award 

Default Montague county JP?

Does anyone know of a JP in or around Montague county that will do the paperwork, and save the ceramony until release. I noticed in this forum that it isn't unheard of and we'd rather do that. How does one go about finding a JP anyway?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:48 AM
tracesgirl

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antionne4ever View Post
Hey juju, no it does not affect anything if he answers true... I recently got married on 9/25/08, and I didnt have to get anything nor did he notorized.... but the main point is that this doesnt affect anything. To be honest I wasnt even asked about it... and the clerk ladies there were more then nice... where do you plan on filing your papers?

Thank you Antionne4ever - what a relief! We have known each other for more than 40 years and always seem to find our way back to each other over the last 20+ years but a variety of circumstances always seemed to keep us apart. He is currently being held in Odessa pending transport to Seagoville, Texas so I will probably file in Dallas, where I live. Thanks again for the info!
Julie