Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:10 PM

I have a couple of questions. I'm going to prison in Texas here in a couple of months. I'm married to an abusive jerk who is a soldier in the Army. I've fallen in love with another soldier, since my husband and I separated in March. The Army found out about my relationship with my boyfriend and issued a no contact order between us until I'm divorced. We want to get married but everything that can go wrong has. I can't divorce my husband until he gets back from deployment in June. Even then he might refuse to because he makes more money being married to me. My first question is if I can divorce him while I'm in prison and how? My other question is if the prison will allow me to marry by proxy once I'm divorced?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2008, 05:17 PM

I have a couple of questions. I'm going to prison in Texas here in a couple of months. I'm married to an abusive jerk who is a soldier in the Army. I've fallen in love with another soldier, since my husband and I separated in March. The Army found out about my relationship with my boyfriend and issued a no contact order between us until I'm divorced. We want to get married but everything that can go wrong has. I can't divorce my husband until he gets back from deployment in June. Even then he might refuse to because he makes more money being married to me. My first question is if I can divorce him while I'm in prison and how? My other question is if the prison will allow me to marry by proxy once I'm divorced?

Last edited by abagurl; 11-13-2008 at 05:18 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Thank you sooooo much for all the information!!! It is definitely appreciated! It was very helpful!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 PM

my fiance is in camp hill pa how do you go about geting marry?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Where do you get a form that does not have to be notarized? My fiance said they will not notarize papers in his unit???? HELP!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Hey yall. I live in Johnson County and really have no idea what all the steps are for getting married!?! Does he have to request the proper papers, or do I just go to the county courthouse? And if so, what are the papers called???
Thanks,
Jo
Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 PM

Smile Marriage by proxy in Texas... March 2009

Hello ! I plan to marry by proxy within the next month or so. My man is a Darrington Unit. I asm doing the marraige in Rockport, Tx. I was told it's an easy thing (by the county clerk). I pick up the application for absent person... then mail it to him. He fills it out naming the proxy person. All I need is his texas drivers liscence or a certified copy of his birth cedrtificate. Thats it. Current prices in Aransas County are $72 for the Liscence and $75 for the JP. Thats all there is to it (so they say).
I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. I'm rarely online as I have to go to the library. But you can private message me here... I can do that from my cell phone. Best of luck to ya'll!!
Blessings,
penfriend
Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 AM
San Antonio Girl

Red face What I had to go through....

Here is what I had to do to obtain a marriage license in San Antonio (Bexar County) TX.......

I went to this link:

http://www.countyclerk.bexar.landata.com/Marriage.aspx

printed out the Affidavit of Absent Applicant for Marriage License Type II sent it to him had him fill it out, he sent it back with a copy of his inmate ID, thats what the courthouse asked for. I got it back, went down to the courthouse with the affidavit and the copy of his his ID, I took my drivers license and my social security card, payed $66.00 and there is a 72 hr. waiting period. Then you go back and get married!

That's what I'm waiting for!

CONGRATZ TO EVERYONE PLANNING ON GETTING MARRIED! GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 05-02-2009, 01:50 PM

Thumbs up update.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by penfriend View Post
Hello ! I plan to marry by proxy within the next month or so. My man is a Darrington Unit. I asm doing the marraige in Rockport, Tx. I was told it's an easy thing (by the county clerk). I pick up the application for absent person... then mail it to him. He fills it out naming the proxy person. All I need is his texas drivers liscence or a certified copy of his birth cedrtificate. Thats it. Current prices in Aransas County are $72 for the Liscence and $75 for the JP. Thats all there is to it (so they say).
I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes. I'm rarely online as I have to go to the library. But you can private message me here... I can do that from my cell phone. Best of luck to ya'll!!
Blessings,
penfriend
It all went easy. I got the birthcertificate from vital chek express.
I even got the original license that day. It was easy. Any questions, PM me.
Blessings,'yisraela
Old 05-11-2009, 02:34 PM

Default Need Proxy marriage information

Quote:
Originally Posted by north star View Post
My husband and I were married by proxy in 1989. Then it only needed to be witnessed that he signed it; a notary was not required. The person who was to stand in for him and I went to the Judge, he performed the ceremony and signed off on the certificate. I walked it down the hall to the County Clerk's office to be filed then and there, and had them issue me two certified copies of it ... one for me, and one to send to the prison system. If I remember correctly, it took two weeks to get the computer updated to show I was his spouse, and be able to have contact visits. Ii've no doubt it may be a lot more involved these days since they seemed to have trouble getting me listed properly this time around and almost refused me a visit over it. Of course, I was having none of it and put my foot down. Sometimes you just have to.

Deb ~ I'm not sure what's required of someone who lives out of state to get a marriage license for the State of Texas, but I would be happy to call and find out for you if you would like. Since I am ordained to perform marriages, it would be a good thing for me to know as well. PM if you would like me to let you know what I find out.

Dear Northstar, My fiancee and I would like to be married by proxy but neither of us know anything about it. He's in a Texas prison - Can you please enlighten me as to how it works, what's the cost, forms needed etc? Thanks Msqtpye4u.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:13 AM

My fiancee and I are about to be married by proxy soon. I just picked the papers up yesterday. The difference about our relationship is that he is incarcerated in Louisiana Department of Corrections. I live in Houston (Harris County) and the clerks office said it doesnt matter where he is located just as long as the ceremony is done in Harris County. Thats just FYI for anyone who has a fiancee out of state
Old 05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
reneeat35

Quote:
Blessings,
penfriend
Hello, can you let me know how your marriage by proxy turned out, I have been thinking about it for a while and I am finally ready, but I don't quite know where to start. Thanks for any help you can give!

reneeat35
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 PM

Cool Help

I was married by proxy almost 3 years ago. My sister in law got married by proxy last Dec. Now I have a friend who is living in Arkasas and is trying to get married to a guy in the Hughes Unit. She was told that TDCJ no longer recognizes proxy marriages and they only thing that she can do is a power of attorney marriage. But they won't notarize the power of attorney there at the Hughes unit. Has anyone else heard such a thing? Tell me what is going on here. Kathy
Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 PM

I just posted the same thing almost for a friend of mine. What unit is your fiance in? Her's is in Hughes and she is having problems. Mine was in Robertson when we got married and it was no big deal. Kat
Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 AM

I will tell you one thing you have to be realistic about him getting out. We are hoping for parole and keeping it in our minds that he may never get it. This will be our 4th time going up for parole since we have been together the last 5 years. You have to realize that he may never come home until his time is totally served. My husband has done 12years on a 30year sentence. My sister in law has been telling everyone that her husband is coming home this year and should have been home last year but he got in trouble. This was his first time up for parole and she found out today he was given a 1 year set off. She is devastated. No matter how much you expect to be turned down you always are. It is heartbreaking but I love Mark and wouldn't change a thing. That is the bottom line. You have to know that your love can stand a lot of hardship and pain. Best Wishes to you. Kathy
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM

i am in brazoria county and trying to marry my partner who is incarcerated in huntsville any information will help!!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 AM

I am in Bexar County and me and my bf are planning on getting married by proxy as soon as his divorce is finalized, he's currently in Willacy State Jail in Raymondville,TX.
can't wait to get married already!!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteMySkittles View Post
I am in Bexar County and me and my bf are planning on getting married by proxy as soon as his divorce is finalized, he's currently in Willacy State Jail in Raymondville,TX.
can't wait to get married already!!

Here is what I had to do to obtain a marriage license in San Antonio (Bexar County) TX.......

I went to this link:

http://www.countyclerk.bexar.landata.com/Marriage.aspx

printed out the Affidavit of Absent Applicant for Marriage License Type II sent it to him had him fill it out, he sent it back with a copy of his inmate ID, thats what the courthouse asked for. I got it back, went down to the courthouse with the affidavit and the copy of his his ID, I took my drivers license and my social security card, payed $66.00 and there is a 72 hr. waiting period. Then you go back and get married!
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM
2013 is our year!

MARRIAGE BY PROXY IS NOT NECESSARY FOR TDC PURPOSES.... THAT COSTS TOO MUCH MONEY AND WASTES TOO MUCH TIME. All you have to do is tell your inmate (loved one) to send you a common law paper from their or send a notarized letter saying that you all are common law married and they will send you the appropriate form. Once you get the form, fill it out, sign it, get it notarized, and send it back to Inmate Records at the Unit and BAM YOU ARE MARRIED AND HAVE CONTACT VISITS. Remember in the state of Texas they grant common law marriages. Hope this helps and takes a lot of stress off of people.
The Following User Says Thank You to DLuvOfHisLiFe For This Useful Post:
ggee (10-31-2010)
Old 10-15-2009, 11:38 PM
~Mrs. Bailey~

well what happens if you by chance never lived with him... MWI, but we wanna get married... could we EVEN do COMMON-LAW?!

sorry if this is in the wrong area...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Starry Eyed

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,887 Posts

No, you have to have lived together to be common law married.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 AM

Hello. Somebody can help me please? I live in. California and my boyfriend is in stiles unit in beaumont texas. How we can get marrie? State to state? I have to go there? Or we can get marrie here in cali? Somebody help me please!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM

Lightbulb Can anyone tell me how to get married by Proxy in Harris County TX

I have mailed the absentee affidavit to him to fill out, sent in for a copy of his birth cerificate ( it will be here in 10 - 15 days ), what next?? I am going to the court house on clay rd, in houston, Tx. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:50 PM
Account Closed

My husband and I got married by proxy 1/27/2010. I took the absentee affidavit form to jail (Tarrant County Jail, Fort Worth, TX) and had my notary go along with me. (FYI-In most cases the form has to be notarized prior to going to the county clerk). If you are unable to have a notary go to the jail with you, you may want to try mailing the form. The whole process was very easy. I got the marriage license 1/15/10 and got married on the 27th of the same month marking our 5 yr anniversary! My mother stood in as the proxy before the judge/justice of peace. The official copy was mailed back to me on 2/9/10 and is now filed with Tarrant County! I couldn't be any happier! Good luck~
Old 03-07-2010, 09:42 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
It all went easy. I got the birthcertificate from vital chek express.
I even got the original license that day. It was easy. Any questions, PM me.
Blessings,'yisraela
Heads up Ladies !!! I knew this man for a year, received letters daily, stayed with his mom, sister, daughter, and grandson BEFORE I married him..... yet AFTER I married him I found out he was ALREADY MARRIED ...... Even so, to get an annullment or divorce is $1,000!!! Yep, a grand. So, I am STUCK with a "paper-husband" because I don't have that kind of money. Argh
I thought I was careful.... but aparently not careful enough.