Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

View Poll Results: Does he ask for too much money?
No, not at all 351 58.89%
Sometime he does 165 27.68%
Way to much money 55 9.23%
He sends money instead 40 6.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2012, 07:05 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

My man would never ask for anything other than text books for study as that keeps him sane! I send money, a little here and there birthdays and Christmas but he doesn't ask nor does he expect. He draws cards and things when he needs a little extra so he gets taken care of without me sending in money.

To the OP expecting so much when you are trying to make it out here with kids is just grossly unfair and selfish. He needs to get his priorities right and that should be the people that he left behind to fend for themselves when he messed up. Put your foot down now unless you want a long hard ride.

Last edited by Mitch67; 10-08-2012 at 07:06 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 1,803 Times in 837 Posts

My man also draws cards and pictures and things when he needs to make a little extra cash. He has restitution so he prefers being sent packages, books and music and the like rather than cash. He says that all he needs is soap and deodarant everything else is a luxury!
Old 12-11-2012, 09:08 PM

My husband doesn't ask for much..I send him a food package each month and toiletries when he needs them but as far as money not really!! I do what I can and if I can't I'll tell sorry babe I can't an he will do without!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM

At times. My biggest pet peev is wasting money. What in the milk duds do you need a watch? You wanna know the time call mother time.. Haha seriously ask a c.o.I can go on and on.

Sons of Anarchy Fan! That program rocks!!! Sent by: HD Sunshine Smartphone
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM

Smh! This has been an issue for a while. This is his first bid. But he's in for a rude awakening he's gon have to learn to go without the extras. I wish I cld send packages
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM

He never asks me for money. Ever. I do know his momma send him like 50 a month tho. I pay for all our calls and send him stamps. And on special occasions, you know Christmas and birthdays, I get him something real nice. But phfff on sending him money for ball shorts and playstations and all that crap. He need to grow up and man up. Its prison, not the price is right.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonysBabay For This Useful Post:
krncpd35 (12-15-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:14 PM

Absolutely he is a spoiled brat...i think the one that pissed me off the most was the palm tree sheets that someone had & he had to have so he out bid another dummy....$100
Old 01-08-2013, 09:26 PM

The worst is if he gets upset and claims he just needs to speak his mind blah blah blah. Seriously, I get that we will have arguments sometimes, but when it eats up all the money off the phone it really bothers me. Then of course, we make up and have to ration calls until payday. I already spend a pretty penny on phone calls because that's our main form of contact but I don't have the patience to shell out more to hear him argue. I have to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, because he's only called twice today and now I'm get sad.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Banned

He never asks for money. He pretty much HAS to have a calendar or he goes nuts. Since we got married his mom backed off a little on taking care of him and he didn't tell me he'd been using a piece of paper he drew a calendar on for the month. He mentioned something about "messing up" his calendar and that's when I drug it out of him that he didn't have a new one for the year and that he draws a new one for each month himself. The only thing I pay for is our phone calls which are extremely expensive. If he ever gets sick I'll pay the $100 medical copay for the year but he even refuses for me to pay that. He has asked me to send money to a friend who has zero family or friends or anyone on the outside to support or help him out. But I've only done that twice because it'll cause both of them to get a case. My husband will silently suffer before he ever takes anything from me or my kids. It actually really hurts my heart. He has savings in the bank from before he went to prison and he had his mom take money out of it to pay for me to take my nursing boards without telling me before we got married. It was almost $400.00 and without him doing that, it would've taken 6 months for me to be afford to take that test and get my license.

Last edited by LaLuuz; 03-07-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 AM

No...in his 7 years i only sent $50 twice when he asked...normally his mama or brother do that....but if he asked for more, i would....but u can trust and believe as soon as he asked, i sent it both times without hesitation! I have no kids or bills really so i can do that but i totally understand having bills and children that would definitely come first!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Wow@playstation?! anyway he hardly ever asks and I started sending money when I had a feeling he was in need and just too prideful to tell me. I told him he needn't be ashamed and since I am childless I can afford to send a nice amount from time to time. I always make sure home is taken care of first and if he's short he'll let me know it. Thankfully his family chips in once in a blue moon, but I told him if i'm living well I wouldn't feel right if my guy is in there and can't have those little luxuries in there. I do for him as i'd want done for me.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:34 AM

This funny because he just snapped at me yesterday for sending him $30 on Jpay.

He almost always is one to try and send me money, he hussles but not in a bad way, he fixes TV's, CD players, hot pots, anything he can to make a little money or get what he needs. He had a pay ID at his last prison. Since he's tranfered I know he's stressing $ since he doesnt have his pay job anymore. he's way to prideful to ask me or his family for anything.

I knew if I asked he would say no, or if i told him i was gonna send it anyway it would of ended up in a fight. So i sent it without him knowing...he got snippy but I could hear the appreciation in his voice. His pride doesnt want me too, but the fact that I did it anyway showed I care.
The Following User Says Thank You to hisbabygirl78 For This Useful Post:
brittanylauren (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 10:53 PM
missing him

no way that's just crazy. he don't NEED all that. I send money when I can afford it.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:06 AM

The only thing he's ever asked for are envelopes and money on the phone. Since he's using those on me I don't mind providing it. His mom sends him money for commissary so he's covered there.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:51 PM

I am amazed at what I have read. My husband doesn't have to ask me for money because I make that $100. deposit to his books every Friday. I would never be able to sleep at night if I thought my husband was going hungry or needed anything. Yes I pay our household bills, and if necessary I would do without a few frivolous items to provide for my husband. My husband has taken care of me since day one, so why would I not do the same for him? I also pay for all of our calls which total up to about $12 a day. He's local and our calls are only 2.10. I can't imagine his mother or siblings sending him money, he's my responsibility not theirs. We're grown adults and take care of one another. My husband matters more to me than a Starbucks or a Mani pedi right now. I will continue to be at the jail every Sunday to make that deposit till he comes home.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkiraemills For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (07-10-2013), MsingHim (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Account Closed

Not at all. Actually he asked me to please stop sending money when I was. He would rather I take my son places and start saving. I do pay $30 a month for an educational program so that he has something positive to do but that's it. He says that's more than enough. I opened that account and didn't tell him until after because I knew he didn't want me spending the money but he had raised a few hundred towards school through friends so I felt good collecting it for him and committing to make payments on the balance so that he could get started
Old 07-09-2013, 07:02 PM

My husband asks for nothing. He does not like to have much in prison. The CO's then have control over you and can destroy it. Also when someone comes in and is showered with money and has all this stuff it makes him a target for other prisoners. If he needs shoes, that's one thing. A TV, well kiss my you know what.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiraemills View Post
I am amazed at what I have read. My husband doesn't have to ask me for money because I make that $100. deposit to his books every Friday. I would never be able to sleep at night if I thought my husband was going hungry or needed anything. Yes I pay our household bills, and if necessary I would do without a few frivolous items to provide for my husband. My husband has taken care of me since day one, so why would I not do the same for him? I also pay for all of our calls which total up to about $12 a day. He's local and our calls are only 2.10. I can't imagine his mother or siblings sending him money, he's my responsibility not theirs. We're grown adults and take care of one another. My husband matters more to me than a Starbucks or a Mani pedi right now. I will continue to be at the jail every Sunday to make that deposit till he comes home.
No Prisoner needs $400 a month. That's just asking for trouble. But hey it's your life.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiraemills View Post

Must be nice to have the money to do that. Not everyone does. I haven't had my nails done or coffee out in I don't know how long. Maybe you shouldn't assume that women who don't send money are spending it on "frivolous items". I work my butt off to support my son and barley get by half the time. My man wouldn't feel like a real man if he was taking away from my ability to provide for my child and that is one of the many reasons that I love and respect him so much
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM
i love him
Donation Award 

He has only asked for extra money to get a TV. And honestly I did not mind if it meant that he could lay in his bunk and watch TV, and not have to worry about him having nothing to do and going crazy getting into a fight because someone started with him. He keeps to himself, we have our shows we watch together so it works. He felt horrible for asking for it. I only send money when I can and make sure my son and I are fully taken care of, full refrigerator, spending money for the week, money in the savings account before I send him anything. I generally send him $20-$30 every 2 weeks and that gets him his hygeniene items as well as food. I do not send him money for unneeded things and refuse to send more than I can because us out here come first and he is completely in agreement with that.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarbear831 For This Useful Post:
ImJustMe123 (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:32 PM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

I agree with nikkiraemills.... When he was home I had everything I needed and then some. He doesn't ask me for anything if anything he gets upset when I do but I put what I can on there. There may come a time when I can't so he will have it. My husband budget's so his $ lasts for awhile. I understand everyone can't do it bc it's not in their means or they have to take care of their household things but everyone is entitled to do what they with what they can.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsingHim For This Useful Post:
Glitter1986 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 11:52 AM

YES he is VERY materialistic! BUT his parents send him $$ every month, I don't. I have helped out to get him a pair of RX eyeglasses back in 2010 and at that they were PRADA $$$! Me and his parents split the bill. I didn't mind because it was something he needed and for something like that - he will use everyday yes I will go all out. But it was a headache everything I had to go through so that he could keep his eyeglasses. They were approved then he had to send them back b/c he chipped a lens and when they got repaired and sent back to the prison they didn't accept them b/c they were name brand- even though the first time they accepted them! I had to write letters and talk to his unit manager. But he finally got to keep his glasses . He mentioned a while back it was time for a new pair and I told him his ass should be happy he even got those he has! All the BS I went through! lol
Old 07-10-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin4appeal
The worst is if he gets upset and claims he just needs to speak his mind blah blah blah. Seriously, I get that we will have arguments sometimes, but when it eats up all the money off the phone it really bothers me. Then of course, we make up and have to ration calls until payday. I already spend a pretty penny on phone calls because that's our main form of contact but I don't have the patience to shell out more to hear him argue. I have to admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite though, because he's only called twice today and now I'm get sad.
oh my god my husband at times will call 6x in a row when we are fighting and he repeats himself lol i know what ur going through!!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Peaceful
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,088 Times in 567 Posts

I think when we first met in 1998, he did. It was always something. Of course I had it then and had no problem in sharing. Over time tho, finances have been difficult, so for several years now, he doesn't ask for anything extra.

I reminded him it isn't just the money that I provide him for extra things. I have never had my phone blocked because I couldn't pay the bill. I spend alot of money on postage each month. I always take the maximum amount on visits and I expect him to eat up every cent.
When he has eye appts or wants pictures taken I pay for that. I have bought subscriptions to newspapers and sport weekly papers.

I always remember him for his birthday and all the holidays. Where he is now, they get to purchase a special food order once a month. I make sure that is covered. That is $30.00 a month. So it all adds up.

I used to send a set amount for everything else he might need or want and now I don't do that. Now I just send what I can afford after all of the above needs and wants are met.

I did have him write out a list of some special things he wanted. I had him write it in a priority order and as time presents itself, I send him the money for that. He has found this works out better for him. It certainly works out better for me.
May she rest in peace.

~ PTO Administrators and Staff

Old 07-12-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrymorales View Post
My husband doesn't ask me for money ...I just send him what i can...
Same. The only thing he really asks for is for me to buy phonetime. He can't do it himself.

Marissa & Brian Burkhardt
VXIIIXII
XIIXXXIXIII
Always