Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Jail Wedding Information Central Everything about getting married in prison or jail. Notices, pictures, questions, stories, what to expect.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:13 PM

Default In need of some info MCCF Shaftner, CA

My fiance is currently incarcerated at Shafter Mccf. He asked me to marry him and of course I said yes! But I'm not sure how the process goes..

He already sent me the marriage packet. He filled out his part. Now I just need to fill out mine.

The part for the visitors you want to attend your wedding. Do they have to be approved visitors to come witness the wedding?

When you send in the marriage packet all filled out with the money orders. How long does it take to find out your wedding date? Do they contact him or will they contact me?

Oh before I forget do I need to get his birth certificate or is it just mine?

Anyone that has gotten married at Shafter Mccf. Is it normally set for a day during the week? Or weekend? What can I wear? Can I bring a ring for him or do I have to buy it from a vendor? Do we get to visit a while after the wedding? Or do we just kiss and say goodbye?

After we are married. How long does it normally take to get our first family visit?

Thanks ladies for taking your time to read this... any information will be great. Have a good day
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2016, 12:22 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,855 Times in 6,804 Posts

I was married at a different facility, but I can answer a few.

Yes, your guests need to be approved visitors and their approval needs to be in place before you submit the packet. They will not approve wedding guests who are not already approved visitors.

You need his birth certificate, as well.

Additionally, if you've been married before, you must include the entire divorce decree (not just the single page with date and judge sig) with your application.

The ring can be purchased anywhere you like provided it's under the dollar limited listed in the packet. You'll bring it that day along with original receipt.

My dress had to meet visitation requirements. So if you could wear it to a visit, you can wear it to get married.

When we married, we had about 30-45 minutes after the ceremony to spend time together in the visiting room. We had access to the vending machines (fancy! lol) and it was very relaxed.

Our approval time was abnormally long (almost 15 months) but I think most people say 3-6 months. Hopefully someone can fill you in on the other things specific to your facility.

Best of luck and congrats!
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Then I need to get his family to submit visiting forms

On the packet he sent me it says nothing about the $ amount for the ring.. so I don't know

Wow that is fancy.. lol. At least you got the visit room all to yourself. Must have been nice to actually hear each other

Another thing I forgot to ask was about the name changing. It says something on this packet. That if you decide to not change your last name to his at the time of the wedding. You can't change it after. Is that true?
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Our ring limit was $100 (no stones, plain band).

I believe the name change needs to happen with the marriage certificate or you'll have to pay to have a name change later. I've done both and the name change later is a hassle. :/
Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 PM

Oh really...so my ring has to be a simple band too?

I don't mind paying to change my name later on... but would I have to go to the city we were married in to file a name change?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb1215 View Post
Oh really...so my ring has to be a simple band too?

I don't mind paying to change my name later on... but would I have to go to the city we were married in to file a name change?
Sorry, that was confusing. Your ring can be anything you like. His has to meet their guidelines, though.

It would be the county that you change your name with and since it would be a legal name change, you could do that where yo live. I don't know how it works in CA because I did mine in OR, but I had to file the paperwork, post publicly for two weeks(?) that I was changing my name and then go back and get the final decree. So it was sort of time consuming and cost around $175.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:12 PM

Default Questions answered?

Hi! I was wondering if you had gotten married at shafter yet? And if you were to get those questions answered? I'm currently going through the application right now and was looking for some insight.. Congratulations and thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amb1215 View Post
My fiance is currently incarcerated at Shafter Mccf. He asked me to marry him and of course I said yes! But I'm not sure how the process goes..

He already sent me the marriage packet. He filled out his part. Now I just need to fill out mine.

The part for the visitors you want to attend your wedding. Do they have to be approved visitors to come witness the wedding?

When you send in the marriage packet all filled out with the money orders. How long does it take to find out your wedding date? Do they contact him or will they contact me?

Oh before I forget do I need to get his birth certificate or is it just mine?

Anyone that has gotten married at Shafter Mccf. Is it normally set for a day during the week? Or weekend? What can I wear? Can I bring a ring for him or do I have to buy it from a vendor? Do we get to visit a while after the wedding? Or do we just kiss and say goodbye?

After we are married. How long does it normally take to get our first family visit?

Thanks ladies for taking your time to read this... any information will be great. Have a good day