Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:09 PM

Default Denied a certificate of appealability. Options?

A friend was convicted of gun and drug charges a few years ago in federal court in southern Florida. Because of those 924(c) gun stacking charges, he was sentenced to 90 years in prison. The 11th Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed his conviction and sentence. His pro se 2255 motion was denied last month. The judge that denied the 2255 motion also denied a certificate that would allow an appeal. My friend is now 37 years-old. I think he will be 107 years-old when he is released from prison.

What are my friend's options? Has he exhausted all of his appeals? At this point, would it be worth spending thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and try to get some other sort of appeal going, or would that just be wasting hard-earned money?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,981 Times in 11,675 Posts

Most federal appeals are denied, and one Appeals Court has apparently already ruled against him, so that reduces his chances even more. You can interview federal appeals lawyers before you decide to retain them, or not. My advice is to talk to a few even if you have to pay for an hour of their time. Get expert opinions before you decide.