Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Out-Of-State Facilities & Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Out-Of-State Facilities & Information Topics, Discussions and Information related to California Prison Inmates who are about to be, or have been transfered to prisons out of State.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:25 PM

Default Are they going to start sending inmates to mississippi in 2009?

my hunny just informed that his counselor told him he qualifies to go out of state but isn't for sure that he's gonna go. his counselor then asks if he wants to volunteer him and he said no. then his counselor tells him if he volunteers he will be going to arizona but starting in 2009 they are gonna start sending inmates to mississippi. does anyone know if this is true?

this love is difficult, but it's real ..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanked 4,615 Times in 1,699 Posts

It sounds like the counselor is trying to scare-force him into volunteering. Right now there's a lot of beds in AZ but CDCr has been sending guys to Mississippi (and Tennesse and Oklahoma) since the transfers started, so even if he "volunteers" I don't think there's a "guarantee" that he would end up in AZ. It's all a crap shoot. It would be a good time for healthy inmates to start having heath problems, eh?

From the CDCr site:
Inmates transferred to out-of-state facilities undergo a comprehensive medical screening. Only those inmates who meet criteria established by the federal court appointed Receiver overseeing inmate medical care are eligible for transfer.
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/news/2007_Pre...s20070720.html

Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kima View Post
It sounds like the counselor is trying to scare-force him into volunteering. Right now there's a lot of beds in AZ but CDCr has been sending guys to Mississippi (and Tennesse and Oklahoma) since the transfers started, so even if he "volunteers" I don't think there's a "guarantee" that he would end up in AZ. It's all a crap shoot. It would be a good time for healthy inmates to start having heath problems, eh?

From the CDCr site:
Inmates transferred to out-of-state facilities undergo a comprehensive medical screening. Only those inmates who meet criteria established by the federal court appointed Receiver overseeing inmate medical care are eligible for transfer.
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/news/2007_Pre...s20070720.html
It all has to do with where they have beds available. La Palma, AZ is a new prison and they are still under construction and have been transferring there for a while now.

You are just joking and not leading our members to encourage their loved ones to do anything unethical kima, that would be against PTO policy, as I'm sure you know!

Blessings, Ally

Illegal Activities:
Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action (like “The best way to kill the neighbor’s dog”), or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed. Posts such as these will be deleted and may lead to you losing your posting privileges.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:27 PM

To address the overcrowding crisis, the Governor ordered CDCR officials to enter into contracts to transfer adult California prisoners to out-of-state prisons operated by private companies or by state or county agencies.

The Governor ordered that the CDCR start by transferring prisoners who volunteer for out-of-state placement. The Governor’s Proclamation also over-rode the the version of Penal Code § 11191, which stated that no prisoner could be transferred to serve a California sentence prison in another state without the prisoner’s written consent. The Proclamation authorized the CDCR to transfer prisoners involuntarily if the CDCR deemed such transfers to be necessary. The Governor’s Proclamation stated that the first prisoners to be considered for involuntary transfer would be those who: (1) are non-citizens who will be subject to deportation from the U.S. at the end of their terms; (2) will be paroling outside of California; (3) have no family or supportive ties in California; or (4) have family or supportive ties in other states.
After the Governor’s Proclamation was issued, the state prison guards’ union filed a lawsuit claiming that the Proclamation was illegal. On February 20, 2007, the Sacramento Superior Court ruled that the Governor “acted in excess of his authority in issuing the Proclamation of Emergency.”

The court also forbade the CDCR from transferring prisoners out-of-state.

The Governor has appealed this ruling. The Governor has also obtained a “writ of supersedeas” (or a “stay”) so that the superior court’s order will not take effect while the appeal is pending.

CDCR has been excluding some prisoners with disabilities or long-term medical conditions from the out-of-state transfers. However the policies are still being developed and may change. In addition, the new version of Penal Code § 11191 forbids transfer of any prisoner with a serious medical or mental health condition unless the prisoner has given written consent to the transfer.

(Pen. Code § 11191(b).)

It appears that before a prisoner can be transferred voluntarily, the prisoner has the right to consult with an attorney concerning his or her transfer rights and obligations; a public defender will be appointed if the prisoner cannot afford to hire an attorney. The prisoner must be informed of the right to consult with an attorney prior to signing a transfer consent form. In addition, the law says that at any time more than five years after the transfer, a prisoner who transfers voluntarily is entitled to revoke consent and demand transfer back to a California prison. In such cases, the transfer shall occur within 30 days after the consent to out-of-state placement is revoked.

http://www.prisonlaw.com/pdfs/OutofState.pdf

Most recent lawsuit (filed Oct 08, 008) on behalf of prisoners being transferred involuntarily:
http://www.aclunc.org/cases/active_c...le483_7635.pdf

Last edited by kima; 11-06-2008 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: posted links
Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
T
Quote:
o address the overcrowding crisis, the Governor ordered CDCR officials to enter intocontracts to transfer adult California prisoners to out-of-state prisons operated by private companies or by state or county agencies.

The Governor ordered that the CDCR start by transferring prisoners who volunteer for out-of-state placement. The Governor’s Proclamation also over-rode the the version of Penal Code § 11191, which stated that no prisoner could be transferred to serve a California sentence prison in another state without the prisoner’s written consent. The Proclamation authorized the CDCR to transfer prisoners involuntarily if the CDCR deemed such transfers to be necessary. The Governor’s Proclamation stated that the first prisoners to be considered for involuntary transfer would be those who: (1) are non-citizens who will be subject to deportation from the U.S. at the end of their terms; (2) will be paroling outside of California; (3) have no family or supportive ties in California; or (4) have family or supportive ties in other states.
After the Governor’s Proclamation was issued, the state prison guards’ union filed a lawsuit claiming that the Proclamation was illegal. On February 20, 2007, the Sacramento Superior Court ruled that the Governor “acted in excess of his authority in issuing the Proclamation of Emergency.”

The court also forbade the CDCR from transferring prisoners out-of-state.

The Governor has appealed this ruling. The Governor has also obtained a “writ of supersedeas” (or a “stay”) so that the superior court’s order will not take effect while the appeal is pending.

CDCR has been excluding some prisoners with disabilities or long-term medical conditions from the out-of-state transfers. However the policies are still being developed and may change. In addition, the new version of Penal Code § 11191 forbids transfer of any prisoner with a serious medical or mental health condition unless the prisoner has given written consent to the transfer.

(Pen. Code § 11191(b).)

It appears that before a prisoner can be transferred voluntarily, the prisoner has the right to consult with an attorney concerning his or her transfer rights and obligations; a public defender will be appointed if the prisoner cannot afford to hire an attorney. The prisoner must be informed of the right to consult with an attorney prior to signing a transfer consent form. In addition, the law says that at any time more than five years after the transfer, a prisoner who transfers voluntarily is entitled to revoke consent and demand transfer back to a California prison. In such cases, the transfer shall occur within 30 days after the consent to out-of-state placement is revoked.

http://www.prisonlaw.com/pdfs/OutofState.pdf

Most recent lawsuit (filed Oct 08, 008) on behalf of prisoners being transferred involuntarily:
http://www.aclunc.org/cases/active_c...le483_7635.pdf
Thank you for that information!

In the spirit of keeping this thread on track...

CDCR has been in contract with CCA (Corrections Corporation of America) for sometime now. CA has a contract with CCA for transfer of prisoners to AZ, OK, TN and MS (best I can recall at the moment). For more information visit the CDCR web-site at:

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/CA_O...acilities.html

Blessings, Ally

Last edited by AllyM; 11-07-2008 at 12:05 AM..
Old 11-07-2008, 12:22 AM

Kima, they told my fiance he could see an attorney beforehand and he said he wanted do. The very next day a public defender was brought in and explained that the involuntary was legal. So, even the consultation did nothing. Maybe if you had the funds for a private attorney they could delay the process. But there have been several groups (ACLU, prison guards union, etc) who have sued the state to keep inmates here and lost.

My fiance was told a few weeks ago that he was being shipped to AZ, but continues to wait for a bus to show up. Not sure where they're at with transfers.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Which one is he in? My son was told in Sept that he is on the list. Could be this month or the next or next, etc. If I read properly, they will be sending them out for awhile yet. My son is in CTF, he has seen the attorney, but not gone up before committee yet.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

Thanked 1,291 Times in 761 Posts

My man got a letter yesterday and he had to go for TRANSFER but he jus got to SOlano like 7 months ago the most! he has hella time to go and he is a level 3 ..
2 B HONEST WITH YOU GUYS.. i rather have him to go 2 AZ than MISSISSIPPI or OHKLA or Tennesse! lol no offense.. it sucks tho! WE ALSO FACE WHAT THEY FACE WE R ALSO DOIN THE TIME WITH THEM!! ITS UNFAIR!
Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 AM

Mine's in San Quentin. He did go before committee already as well. They said the bus would be coming the following week, but nope. Once he finally resolved to just go and stop complaining because nothing could be done, they're not doing anything. No one, though, who went to committee and who were told were being transferred has gone yet so I'm sure one day they'll just pop up and say it's time to go!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Change my name 2 his wife

So my man told me that if he volunteers to go out of state he will serve less time, do any of you know if thats true??? I wouldnt mind if that were the case but other than that its not worth it.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:19 PM

I haven't heard that one. Does he have it in writing? I would want to see it in writing first, and also be sure that it was signed by the proper authorities to uphold it.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanked 1,291 Times in 761 Posts

Yup thats a good idea! Knowing these fools they gonna b like we never said shi... Lol
im sorry for all u guys goin thur this! Ive read in other threads that the az prisons r better.. Who knows about mississippi tho! Good luck and maybe its 4 the best! Thats what i keep sayin 2 my self
Old 11-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Change my name 2 his wife

Thanks! He has been in the system so long he knows better than to just take their word.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:18 PM
i carry your heart

MS already has a lot of CA inmates, so just to clarify, they may be sending *more* in January, but they aren't going to *start* sending them...because they already have!

As for the reduced time...not unless that is something NEW they are offering! In the contracts I have seen and discussed (my man was transferred 2 years ago this month, he was among the first) it very clearly states that there will be NO reduction in time due to these transfers.

Is it December 2, 2017, yet???
The Following User Says Thank You to meeganv For This Useful Post:
AllyM (11-10-2008)
Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 PM

It seems as though no one was sent from CTF last month. Or atleast that's what I hear. He's on the list, but.....only time will tell
Old 11-11-2008, 05:52 AM
Living thru letters

yes they already are my pen friends brother got transferred to a mississippi jail and his mum who is like disabled and elderly cannot get to visit she is so angry about it. Apparently he had no choice they just shipped him due to over crowding they said.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Living thru letters

sorry forgot to say they are from compton L.A she lives in a section 8 housing its pretty bad for her right now. I cant remember which jail he was in before getting transferred.