Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Texas Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Visitation questions important! please help - not on visitation list yet

Ok the following thing is going on here. (it is not about me but a friend of mine)

She is still not on the visiting list! it was turned in May 26th, but today she called but she is still not on it.. how long does it take to get on the list?? cause she leaves wednesday to texas cause she wanted to visit this weekend!

And how long in advance do you have to request for a special visit? is there a time limit?
The visit will take place in McConnel Unit
because they said call the monday before you want to visit.. but requesting that is a bit hard when you aint on the visiting list... :S
Like if she is put on it like let's say thursday, can you still request a special visit? or is that too short in advance??
She comes from Europe so the 300 miles rule will ok!

I hope some can answer these questions soon!

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 AM
Mostly Shopping

The visitor list gets updated every six months. She may not be on the list until July or later. Maybe she should ensure she is on the list before she books the flight if this is her sole reason for coming to visit.
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 AM

he could change his list in may and november.....
and i have already booked......because he said it would be alright!!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Mostly Shopping

You can call Inmate Records and ask why it has not updated. It may just take longer to verify with you being overseas.

And to avoid being let down in the future: NEVER believe anything an inmate tells you without verifying it!
"These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of anyone else. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences"

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 AM

and how long in advance do you need to request a special visit?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Love will get us threw it

Here is my experience, and as you will see every unit is different...my husband was able to change his list in March but was in the process of changing units so he waited until he got to his new unit, turned in his new list on a Monday or Tuesday and it was approved by Friday. My brother-in-law is at a different unit and he had to submit a new list 3 times because they kept giving it back to him to correct and once he got the last one in it only took a few days. As far as special visits go, they say to call Monday morning but some units will approve them all week. At my husbands I have called on Friday morning and requested a special visit for that weekend and was approved. I would suggest just calling inmate records and talking to them. Good luck, I hope it all works out!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:39 PM

thanks for the responses!!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM

My boyfriend is currently going through the intake process at the Gurney Unit. I have been approved on his visitors list; however, only as a regular visit. Is there any way to change a visit to a contact visit? I live over 250 miles from the unit. On his list is his mother and sister who will NEVER make the trip to see him (they live about 140 miles away) have both been approved. His brother lives in Tennessee Colony and is a tdcj officer and not been approved for a visit. Is there anything that I can do to get a contact visit instead of a regular one? I am also his only emergency contact.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,178 Times in 2,585 Posts

daggie, if calling inmate records doesn't help contact the Warden's secretary at his unit and tell her what is going on. She may be able to expedite the update on his visitors list. Most of the ones I have spoken with are very helpful. I hope everything goes well and you get to visit with him.

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 06-08-2009, 07:25 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 4,178 Times in 2,585 Posts

neaner, the warden can approve you for a contact visit but you probably shouldn't get your hopes up about it. Most wardens won't because if they do it for one then others will want him to do it for them too but it never hurts to try and it has happened before so good luck!

Help Desk

Super Moderator: Texas, Capital Punishment, Hurricanes, Visitation, Prison Evacuations, Parents With Children In Prison
Old 06-17-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neaner1029 View Post
My boyfriend is currently going through the intake process at the Gurney Unit. I have been approved on his visitors list; however, only as a regular visit. Is there any way to change a visit to a contact visit? I live over 250 miles from the unit. On his list is his mother and sister who will NEVER make the trip to see him (they live about 140 miles away) have both been approved. His brother lives in Tennessee Colony and is a tdcj officer and not been approved for a visit. Is there anything that I can do to get a contact visit instead of a regular one? I am also his only emergency contact.

Unfortunatley there is nothing you can do to get a contact visit. The only way an offender can get a contact visit is if they are an immediate family member, not even cousins get contact visits. You would have to be his wife to get a contact visit.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 AM

You should call and ask them to get Warden approval being where she is coming from and him already submitting his request to add her on the list. You have to schedule a "special visit" at least a week in advance if not he same week of the visit. And she would get a 4hr visit on Saturday and Sunday if you travel more than 500 miles I believe
Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blountswife View Post
Unfortunatley there is nothing you can do to get a contact visit. The only way an offender can get a contact visit is if they are an immediate family member, not even cousins get contact visits. You would have to be his wife to get a contact visit.

There IS hope for you to get a contact visit. You have to file an "Affidavit of Common Law Marriage" with your local courthouse. In this affidavit, you have to swear that you lived together as common-law husband and wife for a number of years or several months...I think in Texas, it has to be at least six months.

First, find the Affidavit for Common Law Marriage form online or get your inmate to send you one--he can get one from the law library at his unit.

Second, send the Affidavit to your inmate to have him sign it in front of a notary public. If he is sending you the form, have him sign it before a notary public and have his signature notarized before he sends it to you.

Third, make sure you have filled it out entirely, then YOU take it to a notary public and sign it in front of them and have YOUR signature notarized.

Fourth, once you have it completely filed out and both signatures notarized, take the affidavit to your county clerk and file it with them. There will be a fee--mine was about $35-40 to get it notarized and file it. Once it's filed, request from that same office at the time of the filing a CERTIFIED COPY of the Affidavit of Common Law Marriage. Then you take your certified copy (it will be stamped so that it has a seal on it) and mail it to his unit and address it to "Attention: Inmate Records."

I did all of the above and I was changed from "friend" to "common-law wife" on his visitation list within 2 days of the inmate records office receiving the certified copy.

It's worth it to get to hold him and kiss him when I see him.

Good luck!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Mostly Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHunt View Post
It's worth it to get to hold him and kiss him when I see him.
Keep in mind that if you guys have NOT lived in common law before his incarceration you will get charged with perjury if this comes to light.

And remember ... if things don't work out you'll have to file a REAL divorce that may cost you hundreds of $$ and may take many, many months to finalize.