Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:14 PM

Exclamation New to USP Canaan, need info. Will his funds transfer & other questions

Hello my husband got transferred to USP Canaan the middle of November I have not got any phone calls from him yet I have sent him 3 letters so far and also he had money in his account from when he was at a city jail before so my question is how long does it take to money to transfer over into another account ? And does anyone know if they are on lock down ? And if they are lockdown will he still receive my letters.please respond thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2016, 05:47 PM

Hi there,
They aren't on general LD. When my love was transferred it took two weeks to hear from him. With the holiday and the LD over Thanksgiving, they could be behind. The money that was sent from the jail usually takes a while to clear. It's usually sent as a check. Depending on where he's at in orientation, he may not be getting your letters yet. The Feds are a different beast. In order for him to call or email you, he has to submit a request. They do their own review and approve or deny. But first, he has to have money on his books. So he might be waiting for those funds to clear. Just keep writing, you'll hear from him.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:12 PM

Thank you so much I feel a little better but I'm still worried do u think it's best if I jus send him money as early as Monday and maybe he will call me as early as this week or just wait for his money to get transferred over ? Thanks so much for responding
Old 12-10-2016, 06:38 PM

No problem. The other girls here were very helpful to me, so I know how overwhelming it feels. If you can spare it, I would send it. It's western union. He'll get it on Monday. He can use it for commissary too. You can't order packages or anything, they have to order everything themselves. If you need anything you can pm me or ask here. I just don't get alerts sometimes in the group thread:/
Old 12-10-2016, 07:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,521 Times in 11,939 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk Alieca. He will receive your letters. The money from the jail he was in before Canaan should make it to his bop inmate account eventually, but it could be a slow process. Here's the bop's information on sending money yourself.
https://www.bop.gov/inmates/communications.jsp#money

Western Union and US Post Office money orders that are mailed to the Des Moines lockbox are available to the inmate as soon as they are received, but any other money order is put on a 15 day hold.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:19 PM

Thanks so much guys!!! And wow I'm glad u told me he can't receive packages because a lot of females were saying there LO are in upstate NY and they be sending them packages with food and clothes and stuff I guess all prisons are different..do u know how long the orientation process is ? And i wanted to ask u is ur LO in USP Canaan also ?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There is no way to predict how long it will take for him to be processed, but just about everything slows down at this time of year. He will have to tell you what is actually happening there, and I hope you hear from him soon.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Ok thanks again if I have anymore questions I'll definitely post on here
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Yes my husband is at usp Canaan. They order all of their own items. And yes, processing is different for everyone. Please feel free. We'll do our best to answer what we can.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 AM

Ok thank u
Old 12-11-2016, 10:12 PM

Welcome Aliecia to the forum. If you have any questions about USP Canaan, you are more than welcome to post them here and we will answer them the best way that we can I have a loved one at USP Canaan as well

Last edited by mariaacharles; 12-11-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Old 12-12-2016, 09:48 AM

Will do..thanks so much
Old 12-12-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliecia View Post
Will do..thanks so much
You're welcome
Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 AM

Well my LO is in the SHU Trying to not cry all the time, back to writing a ton of snail mail and sending cards and books....hope it helps a little.
The Following User Says Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo21216 View Post
Well my LO is in the SHU Trying to not cry all the time, back to writing a ton of snail mail and sending cards and books....hope it helps a little.
I have been through that twice with my fiance. A year ago he was in the SHU for 3 months and in September did another 2 month stint. It is so hard when we can't speak to them or get emails. Your letters and cards will be what gets him through the time. Do you know how long he will be in there?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReRe&RaRa For This Useful Post:
alwaysmylove (01-25-2017), fbopnomore (12-14-2016), lolo21216 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRe&RaRa View Post
I have been through that twice with my fiance. A year ago he was in the SHU for 3 months and in September did another 2 month stint. It is so hard when we can't speak to them or get emails. Your letters and cards will be what gets him through the time. Do you know how long he will be in there?
aw thanks! Right now i'm not even sure what happened, hopefully i'll get a letter from him in another week or so, I know in July he did about 2 months in the SHU. I'm trying to send as much mail to him as possible because I know he worries i'll "forget" about him if we don't have daily communication.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
My LO just got out of the SHU yesterday after being in there so I know how it feels. It was hard for me too since I was always thinking about him every day. I try to do my best daily to help him out whenever I can. I have sent him books while he was in the SHU but since it was my first time sending him books, I called to be sure what kind of books could I send to him while he was in the SHU. I have never sent my LO a card before but I'm thinking about sending him a Christmas card. I know whatever you send to your LO will help a lot Here is a hug for you
The Following User Says Thank You to mariaacharles For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaacharles View Post
My LO just got out of the SHU yesterday after being in there so I know how it feels. It was hard for me too since I was always thinking about him every day. I try to do my best daily to help him out whenever I can. I have sent him books while he was in the SHU but since it was my first time sending him books, I called to be sure what kind of books could I send to him while he was in the SHU. I have never sent my LO a card before but I'm thinking about sending him a Christmas card. I know whatever you send to your LO will help a lot Here is a hug for you
Thank you so much I'm so happy to hear your LO is out of the SHU!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much I'm so happy to hear your LO is out of the SHU!
You're welcome and me too
The Following User Says Thank You to mariaacharles For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (12-16-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Good morning everyone I called the bop financial number someone gave me on here they said the money is in his account maybe he didn't set up his telephone account yet I'm so annoyed he been at USP Canaan for over a month haven't got one phone call and I jus receive a letter last week how long does it take for them to set up a phone account. Or whatever they have to do thanks guys
Old 12-27-2016, 12:38 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Everything slows down, or even stops, at the end of the year because of "use or lose" staff vacations. Usually an initial meeting with his counselor happens quickly, and the counselor is who approves the list of phone numbers he can call. He also has to receive his 9 digit phone pin number in the mail.

Delays can happen, if he doesn't know the phone numbers to submit for approval, or the counselor is gone, he is in the SHU waiting for a general population bed to become available, etc. Phone access usually happens within a week.
Old 12-27-2016, 05:54 PM

Thanks so I called Canaan today and the man was kinda nice answering my questions he said being as thou he arrive there a day before thanks giving hes not even sure he's seen case worker yet he said everything is slow this time of the year so I told him I receive a letter last week saying he's going to get transferred I don't know why they transferring him but the man said bc he's getting transferred he might be in a holdover and he can only send mail so he's has money that was in his account when he was in a city jail that has yet to get transferred over to where he's at now and I sent him money last week to Canaan jus great now he won't has acess to no money I sent I'm gonna stress myself out worrying about him I know he's fine I'm jus gonna to try to keep busy and jus hope and pray I get a letter soon or phone call or something thanks so much guys for taking time out and reading what I post happy New Years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aliecia For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-28-2016), goldengirl13 (12-27-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 05:49 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

All transport is stopped now, at least until next week, so everyone is stuck where they are. As long as he is "in transit" communicating will be difficult, sometimes even impossible, depending on the local rules which are different at each holdover stop. The beginning is always the hardest time, and it can go on for quite awhile until he arrives at his "designated prison" (which probably hasn't even been decided yet). There is nothing that you, or he can do to change that, or speed it up either.

The CO you talked to gave you quite a bit of information, which doesn't always happen either. Since his counselor hasn't been there yet, there is no way he can use the telephones until they actually meet. Try to be patient, even though neither of you can influence what the bop does, you can minimize how it affects you.

The money you sent to Canaan will be available when he is able to use it for phones or commissary. The local jail money will show up eventually.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Thanks so much for understanding if I have any more questions I'll post
The Following User Says Thank You to Aliecia For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (12-28-2016)
Old 01-05-2017, 03:35 PM

I have sent him about 10 letters so far he's only sent one back last month he said he's not gonna write me untill he gets transferred