Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 05-12-2018, 11:57 PM

Default California Parole Suitability Hearings

Parole Suitability Hearings. Can someone please explain to me what does this exactly means? What happens during these kind of hearings. I am new to all this and I know it sounds ignorant from my part, but I would like to understand and know more about it. I did try to look around but, none explaining. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2018, 12:09 AM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,198 Posts

Judging based off a quick Google search, it appears to be California's version of what we call "Pre-Board" here in Idaho.

It's basically a hearing that takes place a couple months in advance of one's regular parole hearing date, where a small panel (just one or two hearing officers) make a recommendation that goes before the full parole board for final say.

Here in Idaho, most non-violent offenders never see the full parole board in person -- they just interview with a "Pre-Board" hearing officer, who prepares a report where their paperwork gets sent on to the full parole board in absentia for quick review and rubber stamp -- the hearing officer's recommendation, whether to grant or deny parole, is usually followed.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:31 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,386 Times in 6,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz_Morena View Post
Parole Suitability Hearings. Can someone please explain to me what does this exactly means? What happens during these kind of hearings. I am new to all this and I know it sounds ignorant from my part, but I would like to understand and know more about it. I did try to look around but, none explaining. Thank you in advance.
A suitability hearing is your appearance before the board. If your LO is scheduled for a suitability hearing, that's when their approval or denial will be decided. Same day. If they have a life sentence and they are approved, there is then a 90 waiting period for the governor to sign off on it.

If they are a non-violent offender, they will not sit for a hearing. NVOs have a file review to determine their eligibility.

There are also youth offender parole hearings if your loved one was under the age of 25 at the time of their crime. And non-violent second striker reviews. And lastly, elder parole.

You can click the links above to read more about each process.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
maytayah (05-13-2018), Patrickj (05-13-2018), Sarianna (05-13-2018)