Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:39 AM

Default Bank Accounts for Inmates as part of parole plan?

My husband would like to set up a bank account with funds to be part of his parole plan to present to the board. Iíve called my bank and they said that he wonít be able to do so without his SS card and valid ID.

Does anyone know how this may be set up?
Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 AM

Thanked 2,932 Times in 1,790 Posts

He's the only person who can open a bank account.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:44 AM

Thanked 1,242 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubnag View Post
My husband would like to set up a bank account with funds to be part of his parole plan to present to the board. I’ve called my bank and they said that he won’t be able to do so without his SS card and valid ID.

There are plenty of online bank accounts you can open up without him being there in person without this information. The question will be if they bounce him because his SSN comes back because of being related to a felon.

But some that you can look at are the following (I have online accounts at all of these): Discover Bank, Capital One, Barclays Bank (Delaware), and I recall actually opening up a bank account online originally years ago at PNC Bank (not sure if they still have that option).

You can also open accounts at a place like Vanguard online in their simple money market. It gets opened as a "Brokerage Account" which is how all of their accounts are now opened but the money sits mainly in what they call "Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund" and you can move it among other higher interest paying Money Market accounts, or Mutual Funds and also treat it as a checking account if you want checks. I know you can open this online because I opened one for my husband (who is in prison) for an IRA a few months ago. You'll just have to send a check in to fund it or transfer funds in to do so. The other online banks above are definitely the easiest.

Just do a google search.

Btw, I know he doesn't have to be present or have the ID as I have opened accounts for and on behalf of my mother in law without her being with me. You need a valid email address, so you will want to set up an email for him if he doesn't have one. As long as you have access to his SSN you can enter it online. If you know his DL or State ID number that too should be sufficient if they ask it. I'm not sure if they will all ask. That one I don't remember.

Last edited by rockchalk1; 08-24-2018 at 05:47 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (08-24-2018), yubnag (08-24-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 11:46 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,473 Times in 7,511 Posts

They, the parole board, are going to wonder how an inmate has money in a bank account. This may not be the best move.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
Ms Sunny (08-24-2018), Patrickj (08-24-2018), sass4221 (08-24-2018), xolady (08-25-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
There are plenty of online bank accounts you can open up without him being there in person without this information. The question will be if they bounce him because his SSN comes back because of being related to a felon.

But some that you can look at are the following (I have online accounts at all of these): Discover Bank, Capital One, Barclays Bank (Delaware), and I recall actually opening up a bank account online originally years ago at PNC Bank (not sure if they still have that option).

You can also open accounts at a place like Vanguard online in their simple money market. It gets opened as a "Brokerage Account" which is how all of their accounts are now opened but the money sits mainly in what they call "Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund" and you can move it among other higher interest paying Money Market accounts, or Mutual Funds and also treat it as a checking account if you want checks. I know you can open this online because I opened one for my husband (who is in prison) for an IRA a few months ago. You'll just have to send a check in to fund it or transfer funds in to do so. The other online banks above are definitely the easiest.

Just do a google search.

Btw, I know he doesn't have to be present or have the ID as I have opened accounts for and on behalf of my mother in law without her being with me. You need a valid email address, so you will want to set up an email for him if he doesn't have one. As long as you have access to his SSN you can enter it online. If you know his DL or State ID number that too should be sufficient if they ask it. I'm not sure if they will all ask. That one I don't remember.
Thank you! This is most helpful! Iíve never thought of a trust fund.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
They, the parole board, are going to wonder how an inmate has money in a bank account. This may not be the best move.
True, indeed.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:04 PM

Thanked 1,242 Times in 629 Posts

Quote:
Thank you! This is most helpful! Iíve never thought of a trust fund.
I wasn't saying anything about a Trust fund, but you certainly can have a Trust created where he for his benefit (FBO) where you are someone else is the Trustee. Not sure how that helps him for parole, but it allows someone else to act on his behalf and it is funds for him and his social security number is not required for that. You get an FEIN.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:03 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
My husband would like to set up a bank account with funds to be part of his parole plan to present to the board. Iíve called my bank and they said that he wonít be able to do so without his SS card and valid ID.

I see that you are in Calif. If the inmate is in a California, facility and owes restitution they will jump on those funds to apply towards the restitution.

You can not open any kind of banking account without a S.S# You can open a on line account but you will still need a valid SS# and valid ID. Some require you to scan and attach these type of documents to the application or email said information. Chase Bank is real easy to open a on line account with Check the link below for all kinds of on line checking accounts
Best Online Checking Accounts of 2018 Do your research and watch out for fees. You may also want to open a shared account. Be aware when opening these kinds of accounts
Old 08-24-2018, 07:32 PM

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,283 Posts

I know Capital One 360 has no fees for online banking and is cheap to set up. I think a $20 minimum. Savings accounts are even cheaper, but the checking comes with a debit card for easier access to your money. Savings acct is great, but you may have some difficulty finding an atm. There are around, but not as many as a bank like Chase.

I would listen to above advice. Also, I wouldn't do anything without power of attorney.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:07 AM

Not really a good idea to show parole you know how to manipulate the system from inside. The next question they would have is where are these ill gotten funds coming from. Is this from other inmates families paying you? Are you the contact outside for all payoffs? Are you setting the groundwork for business when you come out.. with friends inside? Is this a sophisticated scam? Rethink... they want a release plan, not a business plan.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:09 AM

Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Not really a good idea to show parole you know how to manipulate the system from inside. The next question they would have is where are these ill gotten funds coming from. Is this from other inmates families paying you? Are you the contact outside for all payoffs? Are you setting the groundwork for business when you come out.. with friends inside? Is this a sophisticated scam? Rethink... they want a release plan, not a business plan.
I never thought about it this way to be honest, but I understand what you are saying. I think to some having a bank account would mean legitimacy and doing things the right way.

Has the intention to work and deposit money -not hide it etc.

This is the way I saw it until I read your post.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
I never thought about it this way to be honest, but I understand what you are saying. I think to some having a bank account would mean legitimacy and doing things the right way.

Has the intention to work and deposit money -not hide it etc.

This is the way I saw it until I read your post.
There are multi hustle that involve western union to a central account, or "money sent home". Fo!low the money....parole would question I immediately where....