Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:26 PM

Default Is there any way for victims to prevent the early release of an inmate?

Is there any way for victims to prevent the early release of an inmate? My husband has one year and 13 days left on his NEW date thanks to prop 57 but I'm curious if the victim can stop him from being released on this day and see that he serves the full sentence.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2018, 10:01 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,386 Times in 6,953 Posts

They can submit statements or appear before the parole board to voice their objection to a release earlier than the full term of their sentence. BPH is required to try to contact the victim(s) before the hearing to allow them a chance to speak.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:04 AM

What are the chances of that happening and working? My husband had been on track and exceeding all his captains' and just everyone's expectations. He's no proud of what he did and has done everything possible to make it right. I'll try not to be worried but I want to be prepared.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:26 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingwaiting View Post
Is there any way for victims to prevent the early release of an inmate? My husband has one year and 13 days left on his NEW date thanks to prop 57 but I'm curious if the victim can stop him from being released on this day and see that he serves the full sentence.

More then likely the victim didn't even register to be notified about the release of the person. If said victim is registered they can write letter of objection, The number of victims that stay actively involved in the matters of the person who committed a crime against them is very low .If your husband is benefiting from Prop.57, his controlling case must be nonviolent. I wouldn't put much in to the victim getting involved in his parole process
Old 09-17-2018, 11:04 AM

Thanked 2,931 Times in 1,790 Posts

I think it depends on what the crime is but the victim can write and give a statement.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:30 PM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 527 Posts

Are you talking about 1 year and 13 months to "parole eligible date" under non-violent provision of prop 57? If so, victim could weigh in. Patrick suggests you have good odds that won't happen. Patrick has long experience with CDCR which should be comforting.

Or are you talking about 1 year and 13 months to his EPRD under new credit provisions of prop 57? If so, as long as he does not lose any credits between now and then he will release. No parole board or victim involvement.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:46 PM

He is benefiting from 50% credit for VIOs working as a firefighter at firecamp, ie his offence is violent.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:51 PM

Thanked 1,275 Times in 527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopingwaiting View Post
He is benefiting from 50% credit for VIOs working as a firefighter at firecamp, ie his offence is violent.
OK, he's fine. That's credit earning provision per prop 57, not a paper review parole per prop 57. Victim has no say. He releases on the new EPRD you see (unless he does something dumb to lose credits).