Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MASSACHUSETTS > Massachusetts Parole, Probation, Halfway House and Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Massachusetts Parole, Probation, Halfway House and Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway house, community service in Massachusetts should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 PM

Default PO/Condition Questions

PO/Condition questions Hello,
My nephew just came out on parole and is living with us. He is trying hard but his PO is tough and they just don't seem to mix. I worry that it is going to be a long three years. Is there a way to change POs? If there is a process, is it a bad idea to pursue changing (will it look bad for him)? Also, I know there are some general conditions and then some specific conditions that can be set by the PO. Is there a way to get a list of the general conditions for Massachusetts other than asking the PO?
Last one: is it a general condition that a parolee not interact, etc with other parolees/felons?
Thank you in advance for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Your nephew, in your words, "just came out". I would wait it out a bit. It is not unusual for a PO to start out a hard a-s and gradually let up as it becomes obvious the parolee is doing the right thing.

Your post raises a lot of issues/questions but I would only comment that it is not at all unusual for a parolee to be forbidden from associated with other parolees/convicted felons. (I was just with a parolee today who is forbidden from going into any licensed liquor establishment unless with his parents going to a restaurant for dinner, and obviously, no booze for him.)

However, as to wanting a writing listing of parole conditions, not only is he entitled to it, he should unashamedly ask for it/them. How can he comply with conditions if he doesn't know of them? I would guess the reaction of the parole officer would be that this is a guy who wants to know the ground rules so he can comply. In other words, asked for respectfully, it could be a positive thing for their relationship, not negative.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Hi there, I'm a street PO and have been for a long time. It sounds to me as if your nephew will not make it if he's already having serious problems.

As for your questions: Your nephew needs to orient himself with his parole permit. On it are his general and special conditions. If he does not know what or where the permit is, he better figure out just what he thinks he's planning on doing.

As for association: This is a general condition. It is "Rule #4," which is paraphrased as parolee will have NO contact with anyone with a criminal record or doing something criminal. If the parolee works with other cons or sees them at church, AA meetings, etc, that is acceptable, BUT NO ASSOCIATION. This is fairly simple and black and white. Either you hang out with them or you do not hang out with them.

It sounds to me as if the PO knows a little bit about what's going on with your nephew than your nephew is telling you.

And finally, Mass PO's cover districts/neighborhoods/towns. If your nephew wants to "switch" POs, he needs to move to a district not supervised by the PO he is "having a problem with."

Good luck.