Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Hello everyone,

I am currently a CO working in a prison in the United States. Does anyone have any questions that they would want answered from "my" point of view? About life inside the walls, games inmates play, why COs do certain things etc.
Yes! Please help me understand. What happens with a major ticket for sexual misconduct during a video visit? My husband was given a major for talking about sexual things with me. He goes to adjustment committee. Heís supposed to come him in September. This is first and only ticket. Iím concerned. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,238 Times in 7,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaHicks View Post
I have a question, I have a friend locked up in a core civic private prison in Oklahoma .... this is all new to me and apparently they are on a lockdown that happens once per year and it's some kind of institutional shakedown .... how long do those last. Its Davis Correctional Facility a 1600 bed prison
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH141504 View Post
Yes! Please help me understand. What happens with a major ticket for sexual misconduct during a video visit? My husband was given a major for talking about sexual things with me. He goes to adjustment committee. Heís supposed to come him in September. This is first and only ticket. Iím concerned. Please help.
Just a reminder that Biker has generously offered to answer general questions about working on the other side of the fence for us to the best of his ability. He cannot, and should not, offer advice or opinions on jurisdictions outside of the scope of his experience.

You can find state and facility-specific forums to better assist you by clicking here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (Yesterday), fbopnomore (08-12-2019), maytayah (08-12-2019), Sarianna (08-15-2019), Scott (08-16-2019), sidewalker (Yesterday)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM

Thanked 1,019 Times in 452 Posts

I just wanted to thank Biker for coming here to answer questions. Its really appreciated.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to trauma4us For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-13-2019), lizlizzie2 (08-15-2019), maytayah (08-13-2019), miamac (08-13-2019), Scott (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trauma4us View Post
I just wanted to thank Biker for coming here to answer questions. Its really appreciated.
Thanks for having me here.

I cannot really answer what other depts. do when it comes to infractions. What we do is different that what other depts in other states do. We might dole out 30 days in SHU, while other depts might do 60 days AND take good conduct time.

There are many different factors in play when it comes to policy infractions and even criminal conduct inside the prison (such as bringing in contraband for an inmate)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
choclgs (Yesterday), maytayah (08-16-2019), miamac (08-16-2019), MJH141504 (Today), Ms Sunny (08-16-2019), Scott (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:00 PM

Hi Biker Guy,

Is it common at all for inmates or convicted felons to request a higher security prison for placement because they would rather be housed in a cell as opposed to a dormitory? Is there more privacy for the inmate which makes it worth the higher security setting?
Old Yesterday, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel62 View Post
Hi Biker Guy,

Is it common at all for inmates or convicted felons to request a higher security prison for placement because they would rather be housed in a cell as opposed to a dormitory? Is there more privacy for the inmate which makes it worth the higher security setting?
Great question and something I can answer. I've worked with guys that live in the lower security prisons with dormitory setting and also in the higher security 2 man cells.

I've talked to guys who have started at the higher security and moved to the lower. What some have told me is that they do prefer higher security. Alot of it is privacy. It's better to deal with one other roommate than a full room of 6-12 guys or a huge "warehouse" of 50-100 beds. It's less drama, less fights and disagreements on space and conduct. We might have kids (early 20s) housed with OGs (guys in their 40s-50s) in the same room. That can create conflict. Also with larger rooms, more personalities from different races. Blacks and Hispanics sometimes don't mix nicely. It makes it hard to just "get away" from everyone. Something that is easier to do in a 2 man cell with a good cellie that respects your space.

Also for guys who have been locked up for a while, the freedom of open dorms is nerve wracking. Higher security yes has more violence and they are used to that. They are out of their element with all the openness of the dorms and they don't feel as safe.....even though it is less violent in the lower security prisons. Finally, because it is less violent, there is more petty drama and less respect between the inmates. I've had quite a few OGs tell me that the "kids" have no respect, don't listen (to the older inmates) and don't know how to "jail" (conduct themselves properly).

I hope this makes sense.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bikerguy For This Useful Post:
Buttercream (Yesterday), sidewalker (Yesterday), Sunnielg (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Hi biker guy,

Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate your insight.

I guess I was thinking serving time in a lower security fed prison would be better maybe easier with more flexibility to move around and maybe come and go around the facility with less restrictions. But my son would rather have high (er) security placement and would prefer to confined alone even if it means spending the majority of the day in the cell. Privacy and the least amount of interaction with inmates are his preference.

What you described is very consistent to the feedback I’ve received from other.

Thank you so much for coming on here and being so helpful and supportive. This is all new to my husband and I and there’s so much to know and understand
The Following User Says Thank You to chel62 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chel62 View Post
Hi biker guy,

Thank you so much for the response. I appreciate your insight.

I guess I was thinking serving time in a lower security fed prison would be better maybe easier with more flexibility to move around and maybe come and go around the facility with less restrictions. But my son would rather have high (er) security placement and would prefer to confined alone even if it means spending the majority of the day in the cell. Privacy and the least amount of interaction with inmates are his preference.

What you described is very consistent to the feedback Iíve received from other.

Thank you so much for coming on here and being so helpful and supportive. This is all new to my husband and I and thereís so much to know and understand

Every person does their time differently. Some guy are perfectly fine in the lower security. Others rather be in a higher tier. There are many factors in play. And quite frankly it's beyond my understanding. My viewpoint just scratches the surface. I only do 8 hours a day 40 hours week. It's not my 24/7 life. I can only voice what the guys tell me. When more than one tells me similar stories at separate unrelated times..it allows me to form a broad understanding on their view point.

Some like the structure and can't handle the freedom of lower tier prisons.
Old Today, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerguy View Post
Thanks for having me here.

I cannot really answer what other depts. do when it comes to infractions. What we do is different that what other depts in other states do. We might dole out 30 days in SHU, while other depts might do 60 days AND take good conduct time.

There are many different factors in play when it comes to policy infractions and even criminal conduct inside the prison (such as bringing in contraband for an inmate)
Thank you!
Old Today, 05:09 PM

My boyfriend is in the county in nys do they always put you back in the same prison that you left he's on s parole violation my other question is do alot of inmates keep going back to the same stuff