Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Pets & Animal Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pets & Animal Discussions Man of us have furry (or other) loved ones at home with us. Please use this forum to talk about anything and everything relating to them, hobbies relating to them, etc.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,377 Times in 13,062 Posts
Default Pup has decided he wants to dig

sigh.
I thought we had gotten over this.
But yesterday I noticed him out by the fence.
staring at it.
Apparently he's been digging over there.
This morning he was at it again. He even moved the empty planter I put over the spot he was digging in.
I cant see anything in the neighbors yard that he might be after.
(was thinking a ball)

Guess I'll have to fill up that container so he cant move it.
Only thing I can think of for now that might be interesting him is..ants?
I dont know.
Little buggar.
I scolded him this morning over it......and he went right back out there and just stared at the fence and the hole he's dug. Then he would look to see if we were looking at what he was doing. But he didnt see us watching, nor did he resume digging or trying to move the pot.

That's my dog's nose art

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2017, 10:37 AM

Thanked 3,960 Times in 2,125 Posts

Oh what kind of puppy is it? Some are just born diggers, others are just bored and need to be kept busy!!! Kind of like toddlers!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
His_Queen13 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,819 Times in 5,322 Posts

Mine, too. I swear it's like she has xray vision. This piece of foam was in the ground and she took after it like it was life or death. But the ants-- that's her biggest spot. Our neighbors must have a nest or it's just under the wall because I see them crawling around where she digs the hardest. I've put bait out and covered it with bricks for the next month. That worked in another spot we had. :/
Old 09-01-2017, 11:54 AM

I have a West Highland Terrier and when he was a pup he dug holes everywhere but he's 12 now and hasn't dug a hole since he was around one. Until the other day and I had him for a walk in a forest and he was going crazy digging in one spot - I had to drag him away as I thought there might be a dead body there lol
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judiwoo For This Useful Post:
shellh37 (09-18-2017), xolady (09-01-2017), yourself (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:04 PM

I didn't even know this part of PTO existed! How wonderful! My furrbabies are my kiddos. Lol. I am lucky to have a Pomeranian who is a very good girl. No digging, very little barking, she just loves her momma. And then I have Chloe. She is my neurotic, kleptomaniac cat. She steals things constantly. She will get into my purse and dig through everything in it before deciding what she is going to steal. I am a diabetic and have a small trash can on my dresser where I put my discarded pump supplies and then empty it when it's full. I woke up this morning and went to let the dog out. I turn on the kitchen light and every last thing out of the can was on my kitchen floor. Grrr....LOL! Little nerd stole a bottle of insulin off the dresser and I have yet to find that. But I love my kiddos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanielsWyf For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-03-2017), xolady (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 03:14 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Oh what kind of puppy is it? Some are just born diggers
Isn't that the truth. My Malamute was finally deterred when I trenched the fenceline and buried 14 inches of fence with cement at the very bottom. We tried burying 9 inches of fence... not enough.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

The westie heard ( or at 2 thought s/he heard) a rodent underground, digging. Trust me, been there, done that. When I want to treat a Westie foster, I take them over to the hill that has a ton of mole holes. Fun times.

I have a cairn who digs because she's excited or anxious. Ball doesn't get thrown fast enough, digging. Sees a new car in the drive, digging. Hawk in the air, digging. She doesn't dig near the fence, so we have, "Lawn By Charlie" as she tries to build me a moat. The really funny part is every once in a while, she digs out a clodd of dirt and chances after it. She comes back with the muddiest nose, mouth, and whiskers of any dog I've ever had. I just let her dig, no scolding, and love on her because, foster, I don't know her whole history but something makes her a very anxious dog.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
judiwoo (09-02-2017), miamac (09-01-2017), nimuay (09-02-2017), xolady (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Years ago I had a Border Collie, she had dug a cave under my screened in back patio. I guess she thought she was a wolf with a den. I know my husband had to fill it in and we put a four foot coral rock border around patio so she couldn't keep digging there. But in general she wasn't a digger just that one spot and she made it big enough that she could move around pretty comfortably. We mainly filled it in because we were afraid that part of the patio would collapse and kill her. Anyway she had lots of other strange behaviors we had to contend with.
nimuay (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 09:59 AM

Donation Award 

Ricky is a border collie.
LOL> Lawn by Charlie! YEP. Same here.
He's not dug to much in a yr or so, so I'd thought he got over it.

The area is not shady so it must not have been because he was hot and trying to cool off.
I'd bet he was bored because it was so damn hot here yesterday I didnt dare trying to take him to the park. (109!)
I filled up his *pool* yesterday for a bit and chased him around with the hose.......so that was fun.

I also like to chase him with a plastic garbage bag. It cracks me up. Yesterday morning was garbage day so I had to replace the liner in the kitchen garbage.... and you have to *snap* the liner so it opens and I guess that sound triggers him.
He knows its all in fun but he sort of pretends to be afraid of it.
so I chase him around.

I just hope he does not continue to dig.
He's not usually home alone much so .....fingers crossed.

At least he got over jumping in my planters and digging.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-02-2017), nimuay (09-02-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 11:08 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,659 Times in 7,084 Posts

My favorite is the shovel attack. For some reason, Maggie and Soph think the shovel is an evil, evil thing. So when I push it, they bark and snarl and then bite the thing. As a result, my straight lines become very warped as I shovel. Takes twice as long to shovel, but they get their snarl out on the shovel. Last year was funny- since I couldn't stand, I had to put on snow pants, tape up the one leg, and sit down to shovel. None of the dogs could understand it, and half were in my lap, half were fighting the shovel. It was hilarious, and I had the best time, even if I was wiped out before I got half the shoveling done. Good thing my plow guy took pity, cleared my car of all snow, and finished the potty paths and the deck. He came once while I was out trying to shovel and watched as the dogs fought with the shovel and I tried to shovel with two more dogs jockeying for my lap. He called me a, "determined lady" which I think was code for, "what a f***ing nutter"

But, we have mole hill for fun, and there's always bear poop (he's concentrated to the far field this year), and Charlie's Excavations. Ah, the critters in your life" gotta love them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
miamac (09-02-2017), nimuay (09-02-2017), sidewalker (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,437 Times in 10,016 Posts

I had a Border who, finally, at 18, died this spring. His thing was to chase the sprinkler stream.

My MinPin doesn't dig, but he scuffs every time he poops or pees, and it's ridiculous how much grass/gravel/leaves an enthusiastic 10-lb. dog with feet smaller than a quarter can move!
sidewalker (09-03-2017)
Old 09-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,819 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewalker View Post
He knows its all in fun but he sort of pretends to be afraid of it. so I chase him around.
My rott/husky had a love-to-hate the vacuum. I would start it up and she'd grab the rubber edge around the front and "attack" it. If I was having a lazy day, I'd humor her for a bit. If I was on a schedule, she had to go outside so I could vac the house in a timely manner. That poor Eureka went to heaven looking like it had been to war. I like to think she's still chasing it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (09-03-2017), xolady (09-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 06:52 AM

Donation Award 

I had one who was terrified of the broom.
I could not understand it as I'd never even teased her or hit her (would never!) with it.
but all I had to do was go over to that cupboard where the broom was and she would dash into her crate.

Ricky on the other hand.........runs to his when the phone rings. lol!
He's even gotten to the point that if he's outside and hears the phone he runs inside and into his crate.
Its gotten to super silly when it does not ring but I pick it up to MAKE a call.
He still goes in the crate.

And if any noise even remotely resembles a cat.....he runs outside to look for it.

(think videos of babies laughing, or commercials with cats meowing.....there are quite a few actually....this morning Hubby's kettle whistle made him check the perimeter.....lol)

That's my dog's nose art

Old 09-03-2017, 09:09 AM

Mine will only bark at the door if a doorbell on tv rings!!
sidewalker (09-04-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Donation Award 

I laughed at him yesterday.
Hubby was on the phone (his cell, so pup was not in his crate! lol) when I got home. Apparently pup didnt hear me drive up and barked a bit when I walked in the door. They had just come from a ball session so he was panting pretty good. He'd drank most of his water in the house bowl, so I refilled it. The whole time I was doing that,
he was trying to whine/cry and pant at the same time. And of course dribble drooling the whole time.
uk.

Im trying to figure out how to stop him from being so jealous or protective over my hub. If I or hub go into a room where the other is, he follows and trys to put himself either between us, or he goes and grabs a toy and shoves his head between my hubs legs with the toy.
Forget hugging. He's right there. Sometime he will yip.

Not sure how to curb that.
Its not even just us. He will do that to my son as well.
Guess its all about Ricky.

That's my dog's nose art

Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 AM

My dog still doesn't like anyone getting in between us!! LOL It could be akward at times!!
sidewalker (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,437 Times in 10,016 Posts

LOL, I had one dolphin like that! Very protective :-)
sidewalker (09-21-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielsWyf View Post
I didn't even know this part of PTO existed! How wonderful! My furrbabies are my kiddos. Lol. I am lucky to have a Pomeranian who is a very good girl. No digging, very little barking, she just loves her momma. And then I have Chloe. She is my neurotic, kleptomaniac cat. She steals things constantly. She will get into my purse and dig through everything in it before deciding what she is going to steal. I am a diabetic and have a small trash can on my dresser where I put my discarded pump supplies and then empty it when it's full. I woke up this morning and went to let the dog out. I turn on the kitchen light and every last thing out of the can was on my kitchen floor. Grrr....LOL! Little nerd stole a bottle of insulin off the dresser and I have yet to find that. But I love my kiddos
Is your cat a tortoiseshell by chance?. My 8 month old kitten is a Tortie and she gets in my purse to, and watch out if ya open a drawer cause she's right there to crawl in and check it out. I've learned to watch out for things she'll steal and hide. I've got to use a "butt bucket" as an indoor ashtray, she loves to bat around cigarette butts!. She's my baby though and I'd not change a whisker on her.