Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:28 PM

Default 1 Month Left of College!

So while waiting for my fiance to come home, I've spent the last few years working towards getting a Bachelors degree in Social Work, I am currently finishing up my internship at a Juvenile Detention Center and will have my degree completed on November 22!

I'm excited to have a countdown with an end in sight and also glad I'll be done with school before my guy gets home!

I just wanted to share my excitement with you all and encourage those who find the waiting to be hard to find something productive to keep busy with, it's no magic cure but it can be time well spent!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
cljinct (Yesterday), jadah (10-22-2017), onedayatatime13 (10-22-2017), safran (10-22-2017), Tufahije (10-22-2017), Twinkle82 (10-28-2017), yourself (10-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2017, 03:31 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,772 Times in 1,122 Posts

Congratulations!!!! Very proud of your achievements.

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following User Says Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Starry Eyed

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 4,009 Times in 1,879 Posts

I'm jealous! I got an AA but now I'm working on a different BA and I have some years left to go. I wish I would be done next month. That has got to be a relief. Congrats!
Old 10-23-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
I'm jealous! I got an AA but now I'm working on a different BA and I have some years left to go. I wish I would be done next month. That has got to be a relief. Congrats!
Thank You! I felt that exact way a few years ago, it is a huge relief to be in the home stretch to being done, although I'll feel more relieved once I secure my first post-college job lol Good luck with your BA!
Old 10-23-2017, 09:40 AM

Thanked 3,960 Times in 2,125 Posts

Congrats at least you set goals and didn't waste years waiting for someone in prison!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (10-23-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:20 AM

25 more days to go! Have to finish about 50 more internship hours and turn in a few more assignments for my seminar class and give my case study presentation, hopefully being busy will help the next few weeks fly by because I am SOOO ready to graduate!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:45 AM

I graduated yesterday. Those last few weeks are hard but keep going as you will get there. Just one day at a time and don’t let yourself get overwhelmed. Congratulations ❤️
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 07:56 AM

Fantastic!!!!
lolo21216 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle82 View Post
I graduated yesterday. Those last few weeks are hard but keep going as you will get there. Just one day at a time and don’t let yourself get overwhelmed. Congratulations ❤️
oh that is so awesome, congrats to you too!!
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 AM

UPDATE: I turned in my final assignment! Just have to go to my internship today and Friday and then I am done
Old 11-15-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo21216 View Post
UPDATE: I turned in my final assignment! Just have to go to my internship today and Friday and then I am done
Congratulations! I think it's great that you have been able to go ahead and get this accomplished under the circumstances you're dealing with. I am sure it has helped you keep your mind off of things as well.

I work part-time and think when my husband goes away in December, if I can handle it with my kids, I may see how it is if I add a day or two per week. I was a teacher (before I had kids) and now I just substitute, 2-3 days/week in high school, with no interest to go back as a full-time teacher (definitely don't want to deal with obnoxious middle schoolers or their parents!). Subbing also gives me the flexibility to work around visiting my husband and not having to worry about being accountable to an employer. But I have considered if I can handle subbing 4 or 5 days a week, depending on if my own kids can help more around the house, and if my older ones can help drive my younger one (doubtful with their school load), but we'll see.

You put the idea of my head to even go back also and take some extra classes just for self interest, also to keep me busy and get my mind off of things while he is gone. Anything to help time go by faster.

Again, you should be so proud of yourself!! Good luck in your future endeavors and keep up the good work!! There are many people out there who can use your services as a social worker, and your personal experiences will be valuable as well! Who knows, next up you might even want to get your Masters in Social Work too!!
The Following User Says Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk1 View Post
Congratulations! I think it's great that you have been able to go ahead and get this accomplished under the circumstances you're dealing with. I am sure it has helped you keep your mind off of things as well.

I work part-time and think when my husband goes away in December, if I can handle it with my kids, I may see how it is if I add a day or two per week. I was a teacher (before I had kids) and now I just substitute, 2-3 days/week in high school, with no interest to go back as a full-time teacher (definitely don't want to deal with obnoxious middle schoolers or their parents!). Subbing also gives me the flexibility to work around visiting my husband and not having to worry about being accountable to an employer. But I have considered if I can handle subbing 4 or 5 days a week, depending on if my own kids can help more around the house, and if my older ones can help drive my younger one (doubtful with their school load), but we'll see.

You put the idea of my head to even go back also and take some extra classes just for self interest, also to keep me busy and get my mind off of things while he is gone. Anything to help time go by faster.

Again, you should be so proud of yourself!! Good luck in your future endeavors and keep up the good work!! There are many people out there who can use your services as a social worker, and your personal experiences will be valuable as well! Who knows, next up you might even want to get your Masters in Social Work too!!
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! And yes being busy with school and interning helped A LOT with making the time go by faster and it feels good to be productive. I seem to do my best when I have limited downtime, although make sure you still take some time to relax

Wishing you the very best as you go through having your husband go away, I hope the time goes by quick for you and your kids.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 PM

Big congratulations. Must have felt so great handing in that last assignment
The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkle82 For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 01:53 PM

Thanked 1,027 Times in 536 Posts

Congrats! It is an amazing feeling. I am waiting for a school to get their accreditation for a specific program to go back. They are working on it, but it hasn't come to fruition.
The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
lolo21216 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle82 View Post
Big congratulations. Must have felt so great handing in that last assignment
Thank you!! Yes it did, I almost feel "naked" now without a due date for an assignment looming over me lol
Old 11-15-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! And yes being busy with school and interning helped A LOT with making the time go by faster and it feels good to be productive. I seem to do my best when I have limited downtime, although make sure you still take some time to relax

Wishing you the very best as you go through having your husband go away, I hope the time goes by quick for you and your kids.
Thank you, I hope so too. It makes me sad that he is going to miss the last part of this school year with my kids (he was their goto for help with AP US History - not my strengths; hah) and also the whole college application process for my twins next year and that whole decision making. When he gets out in 2019, they will most likely have already made their decision. I will be happy he will be back to see them graduate, because we actually were worried he would've missed much of their college years, but having to go through the chaos of the college application process without him is going to be stressful, yet that will definitely keep me busy and that time period will also go by quickly! Of course not having him around to bounce ideas off of is sort of a bummer, but I'll just have to make those calls on my own. He is their stepdad and while their own father is smart, he isn't overly helpful when an opinion is needed and we think way differently from one another!

Don't ever stop learning or selling yourself short! You worked hard to get where you are and while I am almost 50, I am always interested in learning new things. I've often been told to go to law school, however, that is one thing I am NOT interested in or ever going to pursue, but if I had the interest, nothing would stop me and it shouldn't stop you!
lolo21216 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
Congrats! It is an amazing feeling. I am waiting for a school to get their accreditation for a specific program to go back. They are working on it, but it hasn't come to fruition.
Thank You!

Smart call on waiting for the accreditation, the school I got my degree from is accredited for the Bachelors but are in the process of getting accreditation for the Masters, if they do I might consider going for it, it would just be another year of school, but right now I am burnt out and need a break from school work, I just want to focus on working in the social work field to get experience.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:57 PM

That is a great idea, plus you can also work and ultimately go to school part-time while working once they become accredited.

And who knows, maybe you'll be lucky enough to find a job that will even pay for you to get your Masters!
lolo21216 (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Thank you, I hope so too. It makes me sad that he is going to miss the last part of this school year with my kids (he was their goto for help with AP US History - not my strengths; hah) and also the whole college application process for my twins next year and that whole decision making. When he gets out in 2019, they will most likely have already made their decision. I will be happy he will be back to see them graduate, because we actually were worried he would've missed much of their college years, but having to go through the chaos of the college application process without him is going to be stressful, yet that will definitely keep me busy and that time period will also go by quickly! Of course not having him around to bounce ideas off of is sort of a bummer, but I'll just have to make those calls on my own. He is their stepdad and while their own father is smart, he isn't overly helpful when an opinion is needed and we think way differently from one another!

Don't ever stop learning or selling yourself short! You worked hard to get where you are and while I am almost 50, I am always interested in learning new things. I've often been told to go to law school, however, that is one thing I am NOT interested in or ever going to pursue, but if I had the interest, nothing would stop me and it shouldn't stop you!
AP US History was not my strong point either, haha!

At least you'll still be able to keep your husband informed on how the kids are doing and he will probably enjoy hearing about the whole college process! I know my fiance loves when I talk to him about my school, it's something positive and it gives his mind a break from thinking about prison all the time. Feeling included on things happening in the "real world" will be good for your husband, at least from my experience it helps my guy.

Thank you so much for your encouragement, it really means a lot to me!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:32 PM

Hah, tell me about it! I taught Math and am not a History buff, nor did I even do well in regular History. Not sure where my kids got that from! Their father was a Chemistry major; didn't like History either.

No problem on the encouragement. That's not only the mom in me but the teacher in me!! Always trying to encourage my kids to try their best and most importantly to be happy! My oldest skipped college altogether and went straight to work in San Fran. No idea why he didn't care about college and the opportunity afforded him, but I have since learned college is not for everyone and he is happy in that tech world. Did not care for the social experience he would have at college. Of course, it is fun being a kid, and not sure what his hurry was, but he is happy and at the end of the day, that is all we want for our kids!

My husband loves the college stuff and visits. We tried to do as many as we could before he left. I on the other hand, do not love them. Hah. For my last kid, I think I'll send my husband when he is out. They can bond on all their sports nonsense too. But you're right, he will like to know what they're up to. He will not miss the screeching voices of the girls though..lol! That I can guarantee 100%.
lolo21216 (11-16-2017)
Old Yesterday, 05:45 AM

UPDATE! Had my last day at my internship yesterday and completed all the requirements for my BSW degree, such a relief! Let the job hunt commence, already have a few jobs I am sending my resume in for, so fingers crossed I can get an interview.
The Following User Says Thank You to lolo21216 For This Useful Post:
cljinct (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM

Quote:
UPDATE! Had my last day at my internship yesterday and completed all the requirements for my BSW degree, such a relief! Let the job hunt commence, already have a few jobs I am sending my resume in for, so fingers crossed I can get an interview.
Congratulations! Good luck. I don't know how hard it is to get social work jobs where you are, but they are hard to find where I am, so if that's the case where you are, whatever you do, do NOT get discouraged and just keep up the good work you are doing and keep trying!! You can do it!!
lolo21216 (Today)
Old Today, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Congratulations! Good luck. I don't know how hard it is to get social work jobs where you are, but they are hard to find where I am, so if that's the case where you are, whatever you do, do NOT get discouraged and just keep up the good work you are doing and keep trying!! You can do it!!
Thank You, I made some connections through my internship that will hopefully result in landing a job, but for now sending my resume to where ever they hire at the BSW level, keeping my options wide open, hopefully will have a job update to post sooner rather than later.
Old Today, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thank You, I made some connections through my internship that will hopefully result in landing a job, but for now sending my resume to where ever they hire at the BSW level, keeping my options wide open, hopefully will have a job update to post sooner rather than later.
Great attitude!
lolo21216 (Today)