Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Default Felon Rights??

Can anybody tell me where i can find all rights a convicted felon has and does not have once they've completed their sentence?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 08:48 AM

Notice on the link below that there are different Rules for different types of offenses.

https://fpc.state.fl.us/Policies/Exe...rcrprocess.pdf

https://fpc.state.fl.us/Clemency.htm

http://www.aclufl.org/issues/voting_rights/applying_for_rights_restoration.cfm

The Following User Says Thank You to bayside2006 For This Useful Post:
lilstuff21 (04-16-2008)
Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 AM

I'm sorry, I didn't really answer your question. I just gave you the rules on restoration.

I do know they can not own a firearm or vote.

Also, my son wanted to be a physical therapist or an athletic trainer and I found out from the college that he can not receive any license in any medical profession because he has had a felony. I don't think he can EVER get a license even when his rights have been restored. Does anyone know?

Last edited by bayside2006; 04-16-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Yeah, i was a little confused for a second there...

I'm hoping to find any sort of documentation specifically listing what they can and can't do in the state of Florida. I know other places like New York are way more lenient on felons. I'd just like to know in what ways.

thanks for anybody that can inform us!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Account Closed

ummm I thinking they can vote now...I know my baby daddy was in prison for 8 years and he got his voters registration card in the mail a couple of months ago...I think they changed that law
Old 04-17-2008, 10:01 AM

I too have heard that they can't get licensing in most professions-at least in the state of Florida. I tried to find out if ex felons can get passports and the answer is pretty confusing too. I asked at the passport office and was told to ask an attorney..gov't employees love to pass the buck, eh? Even on the passport web site is says to ask at the local passport office!! A real grey answer!!

I googled it and found out that most can get passports-depends on the crime, but can't go into certain countries (Canada and Australia).

Let's hope that there are enough of us who believe that once they do the time that their rights should be restored or we are just setting them up for failure with little hope when they do get released. And maybe with enough of us speaking to our Congressmen and local politicians we can see change for the good.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 PM

You can get a passport AFTER you are no longer under any supervision.

You can vote AFTER you get a restoration of rights form, which you can apply for when processing out of prison. If you are in the violent category, this process can take years. If your offense is not one of the big 13 or so, you'll get the certificate automatically in as little as three weeks.

While there are occupational licenses that are closed to you, sometimes the rules are arbitrary and capricious, meaning that you could challenge the license denial if it is unrelated to what the occupation is. If you are dishonest, then obviously you can't be a contractor. But there are other things that you could argue do NOT prove that you are unfit.

You may not possess a weapon.

You must register in any county within 36 (?) hours of arrival there.

If you are on any kind of supervision, you may not associate with other felons.

If there are continuing court orders restricting contact, you must honor them.