Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Florida that do not fit into any other Florida subforum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:33 AM

Default No contact order dropped, can I visit if victim? Can I send paper/stamps?

I am located in Florida and my boyfriend and I had a domestic dispute and he was arrested and was in county for about 4 months. I took the classes and when he took the plea deal for 14 months the judge dropped the no contact order to no violent contact order. I had an appointment to see him the day after the 4th of July finally but they took him in the middle of the night 6 hours before I was supposed to go see him. At the moment he is in Lake Butler waiting at the reception Center to go to the prison he's supposed to go to for the rest of the 14 months... I was under the impression that I was allowed to go visit him on the weekends but then I found out online that if I'm the victim that I cannot see the person who was involved in this matter... if this is true this really sucks for me because I've been needing to see him for a long time I haven't seen him since March. I know that every case is unique and different and I know all about domestic violence and cycles of abuse I'm just asking for advice here and am I legally allowed to go see him because I've been looking forward to seeing him when he goes to the prison he's supposed to go to. Also, is he going to be in a maximum or minimum security prison this is his first time going to prison so I'm really nervous? All comments and all advice is welcome thank you so much for listening peace and love xx

Last edited by Anjewel; Today at 06:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling, search clarity
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,271 Times in 13,236 Posts

Even though the No Contact was dropped by the court, the fact that you are his victim of record will most likely cause a denial for visitation. All you can do is apply. When denied, appeal (write a letter) to the Warden. There is no "legal right" to visitation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (07-18-2017), yourself (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM

Thank you for your info. I guess this whole situation has been very depressing for all of us even his mother. While he was incarcerated his father died and I literally have not been able to contact him or see him since he was arrested. I understand the prison system is different from County and it just sucks because I was so ready to have some kind of closure and was ready to go visit him so we'll see how it goes thank you so much I really appreciate it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkTime For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Also I'm just curious how they decide if he goes to minimum or maximum security prison this is his first time in prison so I'm just curious thank you
Old 07-15-2017, 11:10 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

As far as I know, you can still write, get phone calls...and that's better than nothing. My Mr & I have done 2 separate bids without visits Its doable.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Cool. I did send them a letter with some extra stamps and extra paper so he could write me back and his mother. Thank you
Old 07-15-2017, 11:42 AM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Is he in a Florida State facility? Some states don't allow blank paper or postage stamps to be sent in....I'm not sure about Florida.

FYI: I can move this thread to the Florida forum

Old 07-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Thank you yes he's at a facility right now in Florida but this is where they take them first before they decide where they're going to send him he's only been there for about 2 weeks now I have no idea where he's going but somewhere in Florida... this is his first time going to prison so I'm hoping it's going to be like a Work Camp or something somewhere to that I have no idea this is all new to me
Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM

I did call the facility where he's staying and they did tell me I'm allowed to send him stamps and blank paper up to 15 pages
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkTime For This Useful Post:
Anjewel (07-18-2017), patchouli (07-15-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:22 PM

But now I'm wondering if he even got my letter because of the whole domestic violence thing... like I said I'm kind of in the dark with this situation...
Old 07-18-2017, 09:39 PM
Sun Dried Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,667 Times in 1,290 Posts

Hello there and welcome to PTO. I'm glad you found us.

Mail takes forever, especially at the reception centers. Don't sweat it too much. I'm talking it could take up to 2 or 3 weeks for him to get your mail.

If your visitation is denied you can write the Warden and plea your case.

But, as for how they will classify him is driven by several factors and that will determine if he's maximum or minimum. However, out of about 3/4 of the state and private run prisons in the state of Florida, there is about .15 cent worth of difference in one against the other. Some yards are better than others, some VPs are better it really doesn't matter if it's a level 4 or 6, it's all about the admin and officers.

If you have further questions you can't find on the boards just let us know.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - J Krishnamurti

'Why' must almost always override 'how'. - Anjewel