Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news and information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Illinois Covid -19 (Corona Virus) news and information Please use this forum to share information concerning Covid -19 in Illinois, including institutions affected and lock downs. Please do not discuss individuals who have the virus.

Old 05-15-2020, 01:18 PM

Default How to ask for compassionate release?

Hello all!

My father is going on 76 and at Shawnee Correctional Center. Given the pandemic:

-- What is the process for requesting compassionate release and how can we maximize the possibility that it could be granted?

-- If granted, is the inmate/are families given any notice?

-- If he is offered house arrest as opposed to actual early release, will his social security payments be reinstated? (It is suspended while he is in prison). (Edit: I mean regular social security earned from when he was working, not disability SSI.)

Thank you so much!

Last edited by kmk; 05-15-2020 at 01:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to kmk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmk View Post
Hello all!

My father is going on 76 and at Shawnee Correctional Center. Given the pandemic:

-- What is the process for requesting compassionate release and how can we maximize the possibility that it could be granted?

-- If granted, is the inmate/are families given any notice?

-- If he is offered house arrest as opposed to actual early release, will his social security payments be reinstated? (It is suspended while he is in prison). (Edit: I mean regular social security earned from when he was working, not disability SSI.)

Thank you so much!

I can answer the SS. As soon as he knows he's going out he needs to meet a month prior with his councilor and his councilor helps submit the paperwork and sends it through to social security for him. His payment will then begin 30 days after his release.
The Following User Says Thank You to Born For This Useful Post:
kmk (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:02 PM

Default update: a few resources

For anyone else with questions about this, I just spoke with the Uptown People's Law Center in Chicago and they said that they are putting together a class action lawsuit to try to get vulnerable people out. You can add your loved one to their list of people if you call them.

They also told me the Illinois Prison Project is conducting a workshop May 16 (and additional ones in the future) on asking for emergency clemency, which seems to be the standard way to get compassionate release.

I wanted to pass on this helpful information for others in IL who might have the same questions!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmk For This Useful Post:
Lovely365 (Yesterday), trauma4us (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Owned

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,052 Posts

“If he is offered house arrest as opposed to actual early release, will his social security payments be reinstated? (It is suspended while he is in prison).”

House arrest means he’s still in the custody of the state; a compassionate release would be much, much better.

Last edited by safran; 05-15-2020 at 03:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
kmk (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
“If he is offered house arrest as opposed to actual early release, will his social security payments be reinstated? (It is suspended while he is in prison).”

It will NOT be re instated if he’s on house arrest; house arrest is a form of incarceration.

Safran, As it says in the social security link below. So if the person is released and sent to home confinement he should be eligible for his payments. there is nowhere in the publication that states otherwise.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10133.pdf

NOTE: We can’t start your benefits until your release. We must have your official release documents from the jail or prison where you were confined. Please remember to bring your release forms when you visit your local Social Security office. This will help us get your benefits started more quickly.

And KMK please call them up to confirm as i wouldn't want to lead you astray. Their phone number is in the link provided.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:51 PM
Owned

See the phrase “or certain other public institutions”?

I fear house arrest falls into this area.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:02 PM

Thanks! I will call the office. From all I've read it seems like he'd receive it again since he is no longer a ward of the state, but I fear there could be some kind of loophole as Safran indicates. I asked the Uptown People's Law Center the same question when I called earlier today and the paralegal didn't know, but he is forwarding the question to a lawyer who specializes in social security. I'll post the answer when I learn it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmk For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 05:41 PM
Owned

I think house arrest IS a ward of the state. I’d like to be wrong!
jessesgirl1111 (05-23-2020)