Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Parole, Probation, Pre-Release & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Parole, Probation, Pre-Release & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation, pre-release/treatment centers, or release in Missouri should be posted here.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:38 PM

Question Boyfriend moving in when released on parole - Question about Lease?

My boyfriend is currently incarcerated for Absconding. He is still waiting on all the details as to what they are going to do, how long he will be inside for and all that. So here is my question....

When he is released he will be moving in with me, now to my understanding he will need to be on my lease to say that he is indeed living here. Am I right?

And I assume the Parole officer will need to come check out the apartment, make sure there is nothing here that shouldn't be here and so forth?

If I do have to put him on the lease (which I assume he will need to be), can the apartments I live at so no to having him on the lease? I am currently a co signer. I would think he would be just listed as a tenant.

My main signer of the lease is perfectly aware of the possible situation and my boyfriend moving in, so there is no issue of him being there if my boyfriend does have to sign.

I am in the state of Missouri if that helps on who can help with maybe some answers to this. And ANY advice, information is absolutely a huge help!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2017, 04:58 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 15,392 Times in 9,362 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. Here is a link to the Missouri parole conditions booklet.
https://doc.mo.gov/Documents/prob/White-Book.pdf

Your answers will probably have to come from his new parole officer.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,960 Times in 12,158 Posts

IMHO, if he isn't on the lease the PO may (most likely will) speak to the landlord. PO's like to know that there are no issues with the Home Plan, including permission of the owner/landlord.
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
char_hart80 (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
IMHO, if he isn't on the lease the PO may (most likely will) speak to the landlord. PO's like to know that there are no issues with the Home Plan, including permission of the owner/landlord.
I know I would have to talk to the Apartment complex that I live here about him and putting him on the lease. But I worry about the reaction I may get, or how they might feel about me living here with a convicted felon. Even though his criminal history was non violent, not drug related or even sex offence.

How would someone approach this?
Old 02-11-2017, 04:44 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 25,960 Times in 12,158 Posts

Just walk in the office with your head held high and spit it out, forthright and honestly. All they can say is "no."
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
char_hart80 (02-12-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 05:54 PM

Thanked 1,507 Times in 527 Posts

In my state, nearly every multi-family dwelling owned by a company rather than a private landlord is a "Crime-Free Housing" facility and someone with a felony would not be permitted to live there. Most leases have specifics about how long a guest can stay so you're right, you'll need to talk this out.

If you are uncomfortable, I often find it easier to have tough conversations in writing. Type it up - be polite and professional and present only the facts. At this early juncture I probably wouldn't even get into disclosure of his conviction (either the absconding or the original arrest that he was absconding from) because if it is a Crime-Free building, it doesn't matter. A felony means no, period.

I think you should do this right now. They can't make you leave just for bringing it up, and this gives you the chance to make other living arrangements if necessary.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the advice ladies Most appreciated.

I spoke to my boyfriend about it last night on the phone, mostly with my concerns on there reaction, and the "what ifs" and he said that he will talk to his PO about this next time they do speak, because when he was released last time he was lucky, his grandmother owns a house that is a rental property, and it had currently no tenants renting it, so she rented it to him. Before he decided to turn him self in, he had spoken to his grandmother and she then rented it to someone else. So when he does get out, it will of course and understandably so, be rented by another tenant, otherwise his grandmother said she would lease it to me and him, so there would be no issues of worry.

I will wait till he speaks to his PO before talking to the Leasing office here, and I like the idea of typing it up. That is normally what I do in tough situations, it helps to word things properly, and get the facts straight
Old 02-12-2017, 01:27 PM

I think you may have missed out on another option: don't limit yourself to just the apartment complex you're currently in, or even just other complexes--you may want to talk to a real estate agent to help you in your search. (Especially if you get flak from your current place.)

I say this as a Realtor for over 25 years. Many agents work with single-family homes and condos whose owners need or want to lease their place out, usually for a year or more lease term. They know their owners, and who would be comfortable with your boyfriend living there. They would also be able to present different housing options from that of the "standard" apartment complex.

In fact, the agent's/owners' flexibility brings you plenty of advantages; my experience has been that most larger apartment complexes are looking for "cookie cutter" tenants: your credit score must be xxx, you're only allowed one pet under 25lbs, your current and perhaps previous job references will be checked for stability and earnings, etc. All done as a "routine" applicant screening--and any deviances from that both drives 'em crazy and leaves 'em at a loss on how to handle the situation. As a result, it's easier, and perhaps safer for their job security to just say "no", and move on to the next applicant.

Search the classifieds/want ads/real estate ads to find agents who do leasing (not all agents do). You can be up front with 'em and know they'll work with you.

Probably the bigger issue will be to get BF a job ASAP, and/or making sure your co-signer will be available to sign the new lease. They're gonna want to know you'll be dependable with payments. They'll also check your current landlord to make sure you've paid well there, and that the property is in good shape before you leave.

Hope that helps...good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Northshoreman1 For This Useful Post:
char_hart80 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northshoreman1 View Post
I think you may have missed out on another option: don't limit yourself to just the apartment complex you're currently in, or even just other complexes--you may want to talk to a real estate agent to help you in your search. (Especially if you get flak from your current place.)

I say this as a Realtor for over 25 years. Many agents work with single-family homes and condos whose owners need or want to lease their place out, usually for a year or more lease term. They know their owners, and who would be comfortable with your boyfriend living there. They would also be able to present different housing options from that of the "standard" apartment complex.

In fact, the agent's/owners' flexibility brings you plenty of advantages; my experience has been that most larger apartment complexes are looking for "cookie cutter" tenants: your credit score must be xxx, you're only allowed one pet under 25lbs, your current and perhaps previous job references will be checked for stability and earnings, etc. All done as a "routine" applicant screening--and any deviances from that both drives 'em crazy and leaves 'em at a loss on how to handle the situation. As a result, it's easier, and perhaps safer for their job security to just say "no", and move on to the next applicant.

Search the classifieds/want ads/real estate ads to find agents who do leasing (not all agents do). You can be up front with 'em and know they'll work with you.

Probably the bigger issue will be to get BF a job ASAP, and/or making sure your co-signer will be available to sign the new lease. They're gonna want to know you'll be dependable with payments. They'll also check your current landlord to make sure you've paid well there, and that the property is in good shape before you leave.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Thank you for the epic advice! His PO has a job place that he had him go to when he first got out, so he plans on going back through there as soon as he gets out, he told me on the phone last night that the day he get's out,he is going straight there. Iv'e never missed a payment on rent and have always been clean and never had issues with any place I have lived at. The apartments I am at now, haven't spoken to them in months lol My rent comes out of my account each month. I have a feeling though we will have to move, so I am googling and investigating online.