Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:39 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 32,369 Times in 14,868 Posts
Default Anyone participating in "March For Our Lives" March 24, 2018?

I'm seriously considering going to Washington DC for March For Our Lives on March 24. $120 for hotel & gas (4 to a room) is not bad at all The only hurdle will be convincing My Mr that its a necessary expense To me it is; to him it will not be If I have to compromise (), the only middle ground is to go to the march in Louisville

There are numerous marches around the world to coincide with the Washington March: Sister Marches Here.

Is anyone from PTO going to Washington? Anyone participating in a March closer to your home?

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (03-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2018, 02:23 PM
attorney

Thanked 21,290 Times in 7,465 Posts

I'm still not able to March. Makes me think I'll get a chair just for these sorts of things.

In the interim, one of my favorite Iowa companies is producing a line of t-shirts for this March, a good chunk of the profits to go to the organizing efforts in IA, KS (go figure), and other organizing efforts. You can check them out at https://www.raygunsite.com/collectio...e-are-the-ones

At the bottom, you'll see other t-shirts specific to this particular March and the effort to reduce mass killings with guns, especially at schools.

It should be noted that I'm only affiliated with Raygun as a customer. I just think that this is an outstanding use of their talents, and that these kids causing all this raucous are spot on and where the country needs to go. They give me hope. Companies that support these efforts also give me hope - Delta Airlines, Dick's Sporting Goods, and others trying to prevent the use of the mass murder weapon of choice (the AR-15) and similar rifles from getting into the hands of people who don't need them.

If you don't know, and most of you probably don't, I was a grad student on the campus of the U of Iowa when a grad student in Astronomy took umbrage with the awarding of an award to somebody other than him. He went through Van Allen Hall (the physics and Astronomy building) shooting and killing a number of people including my former Intro pofessor, a man named Christoph Goetz. He then crossed campus, to the administration building, and shot and gravely wounded a student working there when he discovered that the administrator he wanted to kill was not on campus at the time. The young woman was left a quadriplegic. He then turned his gun on himself. Total dead - 6. Gun used- a .32 snub nosed revolver. Yes, he had to reload during his whole rampage. No, his bullets did not penetrate the cinderblock walls of the building, injuring or killing other faculty, staff, or students. Yes, at the time, the University had a fully staffed, trained, and armed police force. No, they were not able to deploy in time.

Like most Iowa students, I found out about it after the fact. After the fact, along with being completely stunned by the event, I spent a lot of time doing a few things - waiting for the list of casualties to come out on tv (the internet really wasn't around in any effective way then), cold calling my little brother who would have been passing across the public area between the psych building and his home by going through Van Allen's walkway, a few friends who were astronomy majors, and waiting for my roommate, a psych major, to come back to the apartment, hoping against hope that all of them were at least physically sound. They were. But then there were the deaths, the bewilderment, and the anger.

That these kids are taking a similar experience and turning it into potentially effective gun control that prevents mass murderers from racking up body counts, terrorizing students, staff, and faculty, and shaping an education experience in such an overwhelming way really gives me hope.

Nobody,s naive enough to think this will stop school killings. But rational gun control will stop the body counts from growing beyond what they are now. remember, it took Charles Whitman 96 minutes with a bolt action rifle in the early '60's to kill 17 people. He had to aim at each and every one of them from his shooting position baracaded on a clock tower. The Parkland shooting was over in a fraction of that time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-01-2018), sidewalker (03-02-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 04:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

I recently ordered some t-shirts. This one has the victims names on the back and all proceeds (100%) go to the Stoneman Douglas Victims Fund:

Of course the other 2 t's are "Smokey says Resist"

and

Lady Liberty Resists

Now, go get yourself a wheelchair....I can almost see ya now, popping wheelies - Yeee Hawww!! LOL

sidewalker (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 12:02 AM

Thanked 1,081 Times in 544 Posts

My kids are participating in the March 14, Walkout at School. So proud of them! Our suburb I believe is now going to pass a ban on assault weapons and there is a bill in the State now too (although knowing our moron Governor, he will sit on it since he is up for re-election).

These are the shirts being sold for our students:

https://www.customink.com/g/aum0-00bb-cmc3
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-02-2018), sidewalker (03-02-2018), yourself (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,119 Times in 14,205 Posts

I will have to work that day.
(love the t shirts!!)

I recently saw a meme I love. It says.....
If my kid hits your kid with a stick
I dont blame the stick, but I do take it away.

That's my dog's nose art

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-02-2018), yourself (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 04:07 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

Lyft will offer free rides to March for Our Lives rallies across the country

Thousands are planning to participate in the March 24 rally against gun violence, March for Our Lives, and the getting there part of things just got a little bit easier thanks to Lyft. The ride-hailing app announced Friday that in honor of the work of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School survivors, it will be offering free rides to anyone trying to get to a rally.

http://theweek.com/speedreads/758731...across-country

sidewalker (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:45 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 28,119 Times in 14,205 Posts

**Now, go get yourself a wheelchair....***

I'll be her pusher!!!

That's my dog's nose art

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-03-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

I'll be at the march with my 15 year old daughter. Like Rockchalk1 I'm feeling very proud of her for wanting to participate! I appreciate we are lucky living so close to D.C., so it is easier for us than others. I'm sure, however, there will be a lot of great support around the country even from the folks who aren't able to travel or march.
The Following User Says Thank You to wintermisk For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 30,160 Times in 10,870 Posts

There are so many marches around here that it's not necessary to go to DC. I will go to one of the local ones.
patchouli (03-13-2018), wintermisk (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
There are so many marches around here that it's not necessary to go to DC. I will go to one of the local ones.
Yes, I assumed so. That's great news!