Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,410 Times in 6,108 Posts
Default Walmart applies pay increase and immediate store closures in the same day

Of course we know why and it isn't several, it's reportedly 63 stores, 11,000 jobs. Is this our new tax code or just more of the same employee sabotage from the retail giant?

Walmart is abruptly closing several Sam's Club stores and laying off thousands of workers, and no one knows why

"In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday. Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.
Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment."

Last edited by miamac; 01-12-2018 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: stats changed
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-11-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 01:51 PM

That Wheeling store is about 10 mins from my house and always packed. Can’t believe it. But it also shares a parking lot with a Super Walmart and is across the street from Target and has a few Costco’s nearby. My in laws bought me a Costco membership last year so I didn’t renew my Sam’s and am so happy. The Costco having a gas station which this Adams didn’t is a huge plus. There are other Sams still nearby so probably just cutting the fat!

I did see on CNBC they are raising their hourly wages to employees and giving $250 bonuses due to the tax code but closing stores on the same day is harsh.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:40 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,483 Posts

Ugh....you KNOW they are making huge profits, I just don't understand this at all. I live in a very small town...we finally got a Sam's like 2 and a half years ago and now it's closing. The store is absolutely packed all the time because we don't have much else. We have a very ghetto Walmart and like 3 grocery stores. We had Target for about the same time, 2ish years before it closed.
xolady (01-14-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:20 AM

Yep of course, and their stock even hit its 52 week high this past Tuesday, so they're definitely not hurting and now cutting a lot of overhead too. Really a shame. Sam's was great. I heard they're still keeping some part of it open, but if it's the only store by you, then they should be refunding the membership fees!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
choclgs (01-12-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (01-12-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanked 10,496 Times in 5,777 Posts

With the advent of Amazon increasing their delivery and even with Wally-world starting their order online and pick up in-store, the need for warehouse shopping is being reduced. In short, the internet is doing to warehouse stores what wally did to small town stores. Karma is biting the warehouses in the ass...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
AndyS (01-13-2018), Fridyrr.Likn (01-12-2018), MrsDeeKay (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 16,410 Times in 6,108 Posts

Walmart Pulls Devious Two-Step by Pairing Wage Hikes With Mass Layoffs

"It would look very bad to announce dozens of store closures and thousands of layoffs right after receiving a massive corporate tax cut," [Judd Legum] notes, referencing the $1.5 trillion tax plan Trump signed into law last month. "So instead, Walmart gave out what amounts to about two percent of the value of their tax cut over 10 years in bonuses. Made a big deal about it. Got praise from the president. Meanwhile, it was abruptly shutting stores across the country. It's diabolical."

"Asked to explain why Trump's policies are responsible for the wage hikes but not the shuttering stores, [Treasury Secretary Steve] Mnuchin explained that "different companies will do different things. Some companies will invest capital, some companies will return money to workers. Lots of things are going on in the economy and we appreciate what Walmart's doing."