Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Restitution Questions

Wondering if there is any way to negotiate down a court ordered restitution amount? The company that my husband is supposed to pay restitution to "make whole" has since been acquired by a larger company and I'm sure they don't care about this money which would be a small amount to them, but is a significant amount to us. Hoping to negotiate one final lump (smaller) sum payment and be done. However, I 'm not sure if this is even allowed or possible to do. Also, someone mentioned that we may have to pay taxes on the forgiven amount if this should happen, is that true?
Also, will he start paying restitution while on SR or afterwards?
Any advice on restitution would be helpful. Not a lot of information out there. My husband is hearing different things at prison which I am hesitant to believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndieNik For This Useful Post:
LilyBud (08-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,948 Times in 11,662 Posts

He will begin paying restitution while he is in prison based on the inmate financial responsibility program, IFRP.
https://www.bop.gov/policy/progstat/5380_008.pdf

If not paid in full, it will become a "condition of supervised release". He will be given a payment schedule by his probation officer, so not staying current can result in a violation and a return to prison.

If it still isn't paid in full during SR, it will be transferred to the Department of Justice's financial litigation unit, FLU, for collection.

Ask his lawyer about the possibility of negotiating a lesser amount with the victim. That would be the first step since the federal court order that was issued set the higher amount of restitution due, which is what all of the federal agencies will go by. If a smaller amount is agreed upon, my guess is that it would require a new judge's order in order for it to be accepted by the government's collectors.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:41 AM

I have an additional twist. My brother got mammoth restitution in totally botched case. It is now judgment on shop he and wife owned. Emphasis on owned. Right after sentencing he transferred all their stuff to her name in case he died in prison. If they (well, she) sells this shop it might cover this massive restitution, but their life's work is lost. And sister knew nothing about it going on! I am afraid of this being a fraudulent conveyance out of their family trust just to her. California is community state. Also he hasn't been paying because he can't and plea agreement says he could go back to prison for maximum sentence. They have no money for a lawyer. Can anyone help at all?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:11 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,948 Times in 11,662 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. My advice, find the money to hire a lawyer so you can get accurate answers.