Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in the State of Arizona.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:29 AM
SJ

Default Would housing in Eloy help anyone?

I am not from Arizona, but I am working with some inmates there and figuring out how to help with housing issues. Because I am not a resident in AZ I don't know much about the towns/cities.

Would housing in Eloy be useful to anyone or do most people move away from there? What if the housing were available to people who have the hardest time finding housing (e.g. people with a sex offense and violent offenders). It seems like Eloy is about 30-45 minutes from towns that are big enough to offer jobs, is that true?

Thank you for your feedback.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:56 PM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,742 Posts

I live 8 miles from the prisons in Eloy. If someone is trying to stay away from trouble Eloy/Casa Grande/AZ City is NOT the place to go. There's not much for jobs, there's no public transportation, drug use/sales in very high, crime is very high, there's not enough police to even begin to patrol.

Eloy land mass is huge but the inhabited part is actually pretty small and I think a sex offender would have a hard time finding housing that wasn't near one of the schools/pre-schools or parks if that was a requirement. Although it does look like there are around 20 who live there.

Eloy is 10 minutes from Arizona City where there are no jobs, 20 minutes from Casa Grande where there are very few jobs and an hour from Chandler where there are more, better paying jobs...that are harder to get.

Personally, having lived in this area my entire life, I wouldn't recommend anyone to intentionally move here unless it was their only viable option.
uRmylife (08-31-2018), xolady (09-04-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 10:28 PM
SJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridyrr.Likn View Post
I live 8 miles from the prisons in Eloy. If someone is trying to stay away from trouble Eloy/Casa Grande/AZ City is NOT the place to go. There's not much for jobs, there's no public transportation, drug use/sales in very high, crime is very high, there's not enough police to even begin to patrol.

Eloy land mass is huge but the inhabited part is actually pretty small and I think a sex offender would have a hard time finding housing that wasn't near one of the schools/pre-schools or parks if that was a requirement. Although it does look like there are around 20 who live there.

Eloy is 10 minutes from Arizona City where there are no jobs, 20 minutes from Casa Grande where there are very few jobs and an hour from Chandler where there are more, better paying jobs...that are harder to get.

Personally, having lived in this area my entire life, I wouldn't recommend anyone to intentionally move here unless it was their only viable option.
This was very helpful, thank you so much for the feedback!
Old 09-03-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:

This is good to know my guy keeps mentioning moving further out like Casa grande and I said no bc I didnít think the job situation would be good for him and I didnít want to commute that far - he seemed to think it wouldnít be that bad - I didnít know about the rest of the issues - thanks for the heads up!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mjc916 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (09-04-2018), xolady (09-04-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Heathen Moderator

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 3,976 Times in 1,742 Posts

I live in Casa Grande and work in AZ City...and I've watched people I love end up in prison, on drugs, in gangs, killed....

Those who have gotten out of prison end right back in. There aren't many success stories here.

IF someone doesn't have a drug problem and doesn't drink in bars they may be able to make it here. Otherwise, this isn't the place.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:22 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
I live in Casa Grande and work in AZ City...and I've watched people I love end up in prison, on drugs, in gangs, killed....

Those who have gotten out of prison end right back in. There aren't many success stories here.

IF someone doesn't have a drug problem and doesn't drink in bars they may be able to make it here. Otherwise, this isn't the place.

You got it!
I've lived in Eloy for the past 11 years, and it sucks!!! And there is so many drugs in this area.... it's really bad!
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithHopeLoveDM For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (09-14-2018)