Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Ironwood State Prison (ISP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ironwood State Prison (ISP) - California Topic and discussion specific to Ironwood State Prison located in Blythe, California.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:06 PM

Default ISP Family Visits Q&A

I haven't gone for a regular visit yet, so I really have no idea what to expect. But my concerns are about family visits. Its going to be in two months, and as thrilled as I am to spend time with my husband, who I havent seen in a year, the whole idea of sleeping in such a location just copletely disgusts me. I'm used to leading a very comfortable lifestyle and I worry about the hygine of the place. The whole idea of spending the night at a place equivalent to a "Travelodge" or so I've heard, it repulses me.
I don't want to seem selfish, and my husband knows me very well, he'll figure out my facial expressions even if I try to hide it. Is the place really that bad???? He is at Ironwood. Who does the maintenance? are there sheets, bedspreads, is that something I could possibly bring with me? What goes on at these family visits (other than the obvious) Wht is there to do? What will I eat? Can I bring along all of my grooming necessities? Can I wear a normal bra?
I just want to know what to expect?
Thanks Girls!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Its All Worth It

I don't know how the little houses looks at Ironwood, but I think its a newer prison then where my husband is. And it isn't that bad! They give you cleaning supplies, so if its dirty when you get there, you can clean it until you think its clean enough. Also before you leave they have you clean, so its clean for the next people who use the room. There is a TV, Radio, patio outside with a picnic table, and a living room area, and a bedroom, a kitchen and table. Its not as bad as I thought it would be. You do get to bring your own sheets, blanket, towels, clothes, eating utensils and grooming necessities. I don't know about the bra with underwire, you can try to take it in with your clothes, I have, but it depends who is checking your stuff.

Have fun!!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 PM

I receive family visits, and the rooms are not that bad. My recommendations are:

Bring your own towels and sheets if you are scared to use theirs. Your husband can also bring extra sheets or he can ask for extra linens.

Use the sheets to cover the furniture---the couches, chairs, etc. That is my major concern. So, you are sitting on clean sheets instead of directly on the couches. The sheets may have to be only white in color--so check with your prison.

At Chuckawalla, we order food from the menu. It is the same vending machine food that is in the regular visiting room, except you can order some things like milk and cereal. It is all pre-packaged. They supply us with plastic spoons and forks and paper cups and bowls. There is a microwave and refrigerator and they have always been clean in our rooms.

At our prison, I am NOT allowed to wear or bring underwear bras or lingerie with underwire in them. Lilmamas is right---it does depend on who checks in your stuff, but it is a chance you take. They will ask you to take anything not allowed back to your car.

You can bring shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, make-up, toothpaste, liquid soap, etc. They all have to be in new, see--through containers. Try not to purchase products with alcohol in the ingredients---but sometimes it is impossible. You can bring in a new toothbrush, loofa, washcloth, etc. No tweezers, scissors, or anything like that.

In our rooms, there is only a TV. We have a little outside yard, so we will go for late night walks. We snuggle up and watch tv, eat together, talk intimately about things we do not want to talk about on the phone or in visit, and of course, we make love. I am never bored in my family visits.

Other inmates are responsible for cleaning the rooms. They do a fairly good job. The beds are made up with clean sheets, bedspreads, and pillowcases. The bathrooms have always been very clean in our units and I was happily surprised by that. All in all, it was fine. My only phobia was sitting on the couch without a sheet. That was all.

My prison is very adamant about not bringing in anything for the inmate. I cannot bring him anything---no clothes, cosmetics, etc. Everything must be for you.

Every prison is different. Be sure to check with your specific prison. Ours gave me a detailed list of all of the rules, requirements, and things I could and could not bring. I followed the list to the letter.

Trust me, once you are in there with your husband, and you are in his arms, your worries and fears will fly out the window. Relax and enjoy the quality time with him. Have fun.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:32 PM

im going to my 5th and last family visit this weekend. I felt the same way you do. i concider it to be like camping. none of the luxeries of home, just the necesities. where my husband is you must use there sheets, blankets, towels ect. so each prison is different. only bring paper plates, cups, forks, dish soap and sponge. he orders food off of a list, its shipped in just as there packages are. not good food at all, ruffing it. can food, packaged food, top romin, rice , that kind of thing.
i bring all my own grooming necessities, but there are certain brands, clear bottles, ect. pump style tooth paste only. you should check with the family visiting they have a list of idems allowed. no wire bras allowed. i wouldn't concider it real clean, but not real dirty. very plain inside, generic for easy cleanup. the inmates clean it after we leave. concidering where your at, its nice, my husband says so much better than inside. its nice to have the alone time together, it makes you really want him to leave with you. but im always glad to go back home, as much as i miss him.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:15 PM

Wow! Every prison really is different about FV's.
We get food from the grocery store that the inmate orders ahead of time. I send the money in, but it's a decent menu now...thanks to our FV Officer, who rocks! She's clean like most women and cares how the units look.

Honestly, I freaked out and was grossed out for a long time. I'm used to it now. It's like a second home. The kitchen is all inclusive...dishes, silverware, pots, pans, etc. We CANNOT bring in any linens, except towels, so that stinks, but we can bring in stuff other places can't, so maybe everything is a wash in the end.

Wendy
Old 03-25-2005, 01:23 AM

I'm in the process of submiting my paper work to get married with my fiance and honestly I was worried about these family visits. After reading all you grils experience makes me feel much better. However its pretty nice to hear you girls enjoy the little time you get with your love one. Good Luck to all you Girls
Old 03-28-2005, 07:30 PM

I'm not sure if you had your visit already. Hope this information helps!

My husband is also at Ironwood and I just had a family visit the first week in March. You are very limited in what you can bring into family visit. You can bring stuff for him like a pair of shorts, socks, boxers/underwear, undershirts, t-shirts, sandles, all of his hygeine (shampoo, soap, razors, deorderant, lotion, toothpaste, toothbrush, wash cloths) needs and all of your hygeine needs. Just remember that all of the hygine you bring in must be in see through containers and/or sealed or not opened. You can only take in what you need. No towels, blankets, sheets, food. I usually wear in a bra without underwire and pack bras with the underwire (I know I need the support!) As far as recreation, there is not really anything to do but the obvious...maybe watch some tv, talk or go outside. There is a movie channel that plays 2 or three different movies. That's pretty much it! If you have any questions let me know. Should you have any other questions that I may not be able to answer you can call the Family Visiting Coordinator, her name is Mrs. Martin the number is 760/921-3000 ext. 5804. She is really nice and helpful. Oh you can take games. Boardgames if they are sealed, paperback books and a deck of cards or a card game. They must be sealed. If you do happen to take a boardgame it cannot have any dice.

OH YEAH!!! I FORGOT THIS THE FIRST TIME...YOU NEED TO TAKE YOUR OWN DISH SOAP AND SPONGE TO WASH THE DISHES, SINK AND TUB.

Again, feel free to let me know if you have any additional question.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:05 AM

My husband is at CRC in Norco, CA. And he has only been there three weeks. Does anyone know when and what we need to be approved for family visits. I'm already approved for regular visits from the last time he was there. And how often do you get family visits? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks J. Underwood
Old 04-01-2005, 01:52 AM

Hey,

Thank you so much for all of your information. I havent gone yet for one reason or another paperwork has taken quite a while, I don't even have a date yet.
Anyhow, your input is really helpful. I cant take my own towels and linens? That makes me pretty uncomfortable. Overall, did you have a pretty good experience?

Thanks,
May02
Old 12-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default ISP Family Visting Q/A

Anything related to family visits (overnight visits) should be posted in this thread!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 PM

Default please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello ladies i have a family visit emergency i have a fv tomorrow and need to know if i am able to take comdoms that are not sealed in the box are can i take some that are sealed but not in the the box

Old 01-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Tripps_Wife

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespung View Post
hello ladies i have a family visit emergency i have a fv tomorrow and need to know if i am able to take comdoms that are not sealed in the box are can i take some that are sealed but not in the the box
Hey !! First I want to say congrats on ur FV... can you please message me the process from start to end for ISP? my husband just transfered so im jw the process hopefully it wasn't long and hopefully it was easy to get done.

have a great day!
The Following User Says Thank You to 143tripps637 For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (09-20-2015)
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 AM

Default Funds for Family Visit

Hi everyone I finally was approved for my first family visit (yay) and received the paperwork and food menu all I have to do is buy the money order and send to the family visiting coordinator but my husband keeps insisting for me to put it on his books and the money will get processed quicker and we will get our visit quicker but I dont know where online to go? i went on jpay and access corrections but dont see that option. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? THANKS GIRLS.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Ladies who get fvs @ironwood. Please read

Please post this. Ladies!
IRONWOOD STATE PRISON.BLYTHE

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT GET FVS OR ARE IN THE PROCESS ME & AN IFC REP ARE SEEKING SIGNATURES FOR A LETTER THAT WAS DRAFTED UP IN REGARDS TO THE FOOD IN F.V'S ETC.
AS WE KNOW THE FOOD WE HAVE TO EAT IN OUR FVS IS THE SAME FOOD FROM THE VENDING MACHINES IN VISIT, PROCESSED FATTY FOODS. OUTRAGEOUSLY PRICED! AS TO WHERE OTHER PRISONS GET THE LUXURY OF GETTING TO ORDER FOOD FROM A LOCAL GROCERY STORE.

If interested please let me know so I can email it to you. It also has to do with being allowed to donate items for our fv units including blankets, mattresses, pillows and etc. LET ME KNOW :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PicsArt_1360721896362-1.jpg (48.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Location: IM iN LA cOuNTy HiS 4M OC cOUNTy (NOW iN dA sySTeM)
Default You got my vote

Were do i sign and donate stuff... Email ill send in messg rite now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31310mrs.v View Post
please post this. Ladies!
Ironwood state prison.blythe

for those of you that get fvs or are in the process me & an ifc rep are seeking signatures for a letter that was drafted up in regards to the food in f.v's etc.
As we know the food we have to eat in our fvs is the same food from the vending machines in visit, processed fatty foods. Outrageously priced! As to where other prisons get the luxury of getting to order food from a local grocery store.

If interested please let me know so i can email it to you. It also has to do with being allowed to donate items for our fv units including blankets, mattresses, pillows and etc. Let me know :-)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:29 PM

What days are the family visit?
Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdp4life View Post
What days are the family visit?
Monday through Wednesday/Wednesday through Friday

Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 PM

Smile

Actually they are Wednesday-friday and Friday-sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespung View Post
Monday through Wednesday/Wednesday through Friday
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SHORTYS1 For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (09-20-2015), iluvdp4life (10-02-2013)
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 PM

Question

Hello. Anyone have a family visit lately? How often are they? Whats the process like? Food? How are the facilities? We get family visits where hes at now but we'll be moving to ISP soon.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Isp: Family visits

Hi!!! So I just got the menu for my first F/V but I have a few questions refgarding F/V. Would anyone be kind enough to PM me or reply here with some answers?! Please and thank you in advance!
Any advice or knowledge on it would be greatly appreciated!

Questions:
My love has to pay restitution, so I don't know if the best thing to do is to put the F/V money in his books... Is there any other fast way to send in the money?

What are the F/V days?

How long approximately until we get the date for our F/V???
Old 07-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Unhappy Denied Family Visits

I don't get this, he sent me a letter today and said he met with a committee, and they denied him and me family visits. Why? There is no history of DV in our backgrounds. So disappointed with this. What do I do now? And I am still not approved for reg. visiting although he sent another visitors slip. What is up with these prisons? I don't have any criminal background, and I know for a fact that Ben does not have any DV issues in is. So what do I do? He did say he was finally getting mail that was forwarded from Wasco to ISP...Anyone have this happen to them? Thanks, Mary...
Old 07-03-2015, 02:59 PM

Thanked 11,062 Times in 5,992 Posts

If you aren't approved yet for regular visits, then it would make absolute sense that no approval would be given for family visit...
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (07-03-2015)
Old 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM

Post Denied for family visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
If you aren't approved yet for regular visits, then it would make absolute sense that no approval would be given for family visit...
I don't know what he is thinking then. I looked over the new visiting form, but I thought that the other form I sent to Wasco when he was there would follow him to ISP......Who knows, but should I fill out the new form anyways? Mary
Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 19,401 Times in 6,961 Posts

Have you tried contacting the visiting sergeant at ISP regarding your regular visitation? I'm not familiar with your facility, but my husband is in CA, too. Our sergeant is quite helpful and I do believe that have to give you a reason for your denial. When you find out why you've been denied you can try an appeal.

Best of luck!

Also... family visits are denied to folks for more than a history of DV. Security status, point levels, and recent conduct record all factor in and denial is automatic for LWOP.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:49 PM

Post Denied Family Visits

According to my husband there is something minor in his background, so I have to research it with Superior court, but first I already know we have to be approved for regular visits first. He said it was dismissed, but that will come later after we are approved for regular visiting. Then I will address the Warden if this becomes a issue. Mary