Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

High Desert State Prison (HDSP) - California Topic and discussion specific to HDSP-High Desert State Prison located in Susanville, California.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
smile my LOVE..♥

Can anyone tell me what I have to do to set up with GTL ?
Old 04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Chocolate Drop

Go to www.offenderconnect.com and set up an account, believe me it's real easy to do. But remember to click on DOC. And you can see every thing on your account.
The Following User Says Thank You to holliberry For This Useful Post:
et&fg (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Drop View Post
Go to www.offenderconnect.com and set up an account, believe me it's real easy to do. But remember to click on DOC. And you can see every thing on your account.
When first arriving to hd can they sign up to be put on the phone call list rite away or they can't sign up rite away..and once there on the list can they start making call rite away? And third question is there certain days mail goes out?
Old 04-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Chocolate Drop

I don't know nothing about a phone list. All I did was write him a letter giving him my cell phone number. I don't think DOC here in Calif has the phone list thing. I never gave HDSP my phone number. I think my Husband said that the mail gets picked up Sun thru Thurs but not sure. Hope this helps.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I don't know nothing about a phone list. All I did was write him a letter giving him my cell phone number. I don't think DOC here in Calif has the phone list thing. I never gave HDSP my phone number. I think my Husband said that the mail gets picked up Sun thru Thurs but not sure. Hope this helps.
Really cuse my bf sent me a letter saying he was sign up to be able to call..idk?? I'm confused and I also sent him my number
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et&fg

Really cuse my bf sent me a letter saying he was sign up to be able to call..idk?? I'm confused and I also sent him my number
They do have a phone list typically goes around the day before. So they sign up Thursday to call Friday. Now sometimes guys give away or swap their spots with someone else's or if they can't get thru someone else can jump on. But that always comes down to the co on duty. Some allow it some don't. From what I can tell it is way strict here. Our old place was much easier to use the phone. As long as you set up your phone on an account at te link the girl posted above an there is $ on the account he should be able to call u
holliberry (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalPuppyLove View Post
They do have a phone list typically goes around the day before. So they sign up Thursday to call Friday. Now sometimes guys give away or swap their spots with someone else's or if they can't get thru someone else can jump on. But that always comes down to the co on duty. Some allow it some don't. From what I can tell it is way strict here. Our old place was much easier to use the phone. As long as you set up your phone on an account at te link the girl posted above an there is $ on the account he should be able to call u
Thanks a lot.. That was probably the list he was talking about.. I set up mine up yest.. It's easy
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Chocolate Drop

So glad to hear that. Now just wait for that call to come. Now you get to hear his voice.
The Following User Says Thank You to holliberry For This Useful Post:
et&fg (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
So glad to hear that. Now just wait for that call to come. Now you get to hear his voice.
Thanks for all the help!! I'm nervous/ excited to talk to him.. I'm also curios to hear what his voice sounds like!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 PM

Hello everyone!
I am new here and I have a couple of questions regarding phone calls at HDSP. With the mail turnaround time being rather slow I figured I should begin to look into options of talking to my friend via phone.

Now as I understand it at HDSP they use gtl for phone calls. Now me living in North Carolina if I set up everything how it is now I would be charged a fortune, from what I understand, for calls since my number is long distance.
Now I know you need to get a local number where the person is located, in this case 96127 area code number. However i'm trying to figure out the best way for this to happen. I know google voice vonage etc works but I've heard google doesn't work all of the time.
I'm wondering about a prepaid cell phone such as tracfone net 10, page plus etc. I could get the area code fine by giving them the zip code but after that do I just register for collect calls via GTL? Or again i've also heard this will not work due to gtl requiring a phone and utility bill which doesn't really work for prepaid.
I'm just trying to weigh and figure out my options. I've also heard of some websites etc that "claim" to do basically what you would do with the cell phone but it just seems a little to fishy to me. Maybe others can clarify.

sorry for the long post but any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47basketball
Hello everyone!
I am new here and I have a couple of questions regarding phone calls at HDSP. With the mail turnaround time being rather slow I figured I should begin to look into options of talking to my friend via phone.

Now as I understand it at HDSP they use gtl for phone calls. Now me living in North Carolina if I set up everything how it is now I would be charged a fortune, from what I understand, for calls since my number is long distance.
Now I know you need to get a local number where the person is located, in this case 96127 area code number. However i'm trying to figure out the best way for this to happen. I know google voice vonage etc works but I've heard google doesn't work all of the time.
I'm wondering about a prepaid cell phone such as tracfone net 10, page plus etc. I could get the area code fine by giving them the zip code but after that do I just register for collect calls via GTL? Or again i've also heard this will not work due to gtl requiring a phone and utility bill which doesn't really work for prepaid.
I'm just trying to weigh and figure out my options. I've also heard of some websites etc that "claim" to do basically what you would do with the cell phone but it just seems a little to fishy to me. Maybe others can clarify.

It's nit gtl anymore it's something else. I think because its prepaid now they don't require that stuff. I added a family member to my account without any hoops to jump thru so while I'm not 100% on this I don't think u need that stuff. Use the link listed a few posts ago and try it out.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47basketball View Post
Hello everyone!

I've used GV for years...just set his mom up with a local # to save her $. Thing is you don't have to get a LOCAL #, just a California number! My cell is 805 area code, which isn't local to HDSP, but my calls are still only around $2.30/call.

I tried one of those companies...then when I called the number they gave me and it was a GV #, I immediately cancelled my service and went and got my own GV #!! It takes less than 10min to set up, it's even faster if you already have a gmail account.

HTH
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM

So I'm confused is "offender connect" and "GTL" the same company? And is it better for my bf to call first and set up my account rite then and there or set up the account before hand?
Old 04-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by et&fg
So I'm confused is "offender connect" and "GTL" the same company? And is it better for my bf to call first and set up my account rite then and there or set up the account before hand?
I'm not sure but GTL handed over CA dept of corrections accounts to offender connect. I'm not sure if they are owned by the same parent company but everyone is so used to saying GTL I think it just comes out. And no, now that it's prepaid you have to set it up before he can call I believe. Choose CA Dept of Corr I think it is, not a specific prison.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:15 PM
Chocolate Drop

Go to www.offenderconnect.com set up a account, you don't need a local phone number to get calls at all. I live 500 miles away from HDSP and it cost me $2.15 a 15 minute phone call. Yes you can even get calls to a cell phone, my carrier is T-Mobile. All these phone services like jailcallservices are nothing but more money your paying for, so not worth it. You can still get calls from calif even if you live out of state.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Go to www.offenderconnect.com set up a account, you don't need a local phone number to get calls at all. I live 500 miles away from HDSP and it cost me $2.15 a 15 minute phone call. Yes you can even get calls to a cell phone, my carrier is T-Mobile. All these phone services like jailcallservices are nothing but more money your paying for, so not worth it. You can still get calls from calif even if you live out of state.
Thanks girls for the help.. Helps me out a lot.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure but GTL handed over CA dept of corrections accounts to offender connect. I'm not sure if they are owned by the same parent company but everyone is so used to saying GTL I think it just comes out. And no, now that it's prepaid you have to set it up before he can call I believe. Choose CA Dept of Corr I think it is, not a specific prison.
What name or number will show up when he calls..
Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Chocolate Drop

No name shows up, But it will be a 713 area code
Old 04-17-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Drop
No name shows up, But it will be a 713 area code
Mine show up as 530 area code. Hmm
Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Mine show up as 530 area code. Hmm
Hmmm I wonder what mine will show up as..
Old 04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Chocolate Drop

Mine used to show the 530 area code but since they fixed the phones on C yard now it shows the 713 area code. My daughters Dad who is in C.M.C. when he calls her it to comes in at a 713 area code. Go figure that. lol
Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Drop
Mine used to show the 530 area code but since they fixed the phones on C yard now it shows the 713 area code. My daughters Dad who is in C.M.C. when he calls her it to comes in at a 713 area code. Go figure that. lol
Lol well maybe they jus hadn't switched the phones in our yar before our last call. I actually read something on our old prisons page about that happening after they "fixed" the phones there and that the 713 is a Texas #. Apparently this new company routes all the calls thru Texas. Better not raise my freaking bill any! Ugh
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM
Chocolate Drop

Don't worry the bill has stayed the same. It's still $2.15 for 15 minute call. And yea it's a Texas area code don't know how that happened.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:25 PM

what if its a land number do i still have to set up an acct????
Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM
Chocolate Drop

Yes because it's all Prepaid now, no more getting a bill every month. You control the money for the phone, you can put as little as $5 dollars all the way up to $100. I only put $20 a month, that's enough I think. He calls me 2 times a time sometimes 3.