Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW MEXICO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

NEW MEXICO Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of New Mexico Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, Visitation & Phones, mail and more

Old 03-10-2017, 12:47 PM

Default Question about sending mail to a inmate in Sandoval County Detention Center

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. My husband is newly locked up in Sandoval County Detention Center. I need to know some things about sending him mail. I called the DC and asked, they told me I'd need to ask my husband. Well, my husband has no idea and the CO's he asked were not very keen on giving him any information on ANYTHING. I've sent him two letters, pen on paper, each with a photo of me and his kids printed directly on to the paper. Will they let him have these letters? Also, am I allowed to send him paper and stamped envelopes for him to write back to me?
thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,883 Times in 17,022 Posts

I can't answer about the photo on copy paper, I didn't see photo rules in their policies. Usually, photos do have to be a certain size and on photo paper, but may vary from prison to prison.

However, you cannot send paper or stamps per NMDOC policy:

Quote:
Stamps, stickers, oil, lipstick, perfumed paper, blank personal stationery or writing paper, self-addressed stamped envelopes, and pre-stamped or self-stamped blank envelopes are not permitted.

http://cd.nm.gov/policies/docs/CD-151200.pdf

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
NMMama3 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
I can't answer about the photo on copy paper, I didn't see photo rules in their policies. Usually, photos do have to be a certain size and on photo paper, but may vary from prison to prison.

However, you cannot send paper or stamps per NMDOC policy:

thank you for your reply, and the link! I was able to talk to mi marido this morning. he says some of the other guys in there have told him 'no stickers and no photos'. I mailed him a letter last night, and one this morning just in case the ones with the printed photos are rejected. Do you happen to know what they do with rejected mail, send it back or just throw it away? We found out he gets to go to commissary once a week, on thursdays, and can buy writing supplies there.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Update on Sandoval County Detention Center inmate mail policies

Well, i was never able to get a straight answer from anyone working at the detention center, but I've sent my husband a letter every day, and here is what we have figured out from sending letters and him talking to other guys in his dorm:

no stickers, no glitter, nothing glued to anything

no crayon drawings (pictures drawn by our four year olds were discarded by the mailroom and he got a note about no crayon drawings allowed.

no blank paper, no envelopes, no stamps

photos printed directly onto paper and sent as part of the body of the letter are ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to NMMama3 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:25 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,883 Times in 17,022 Posts

Thanks for the update I'm sure your info will help other members!

patchouli, PTO Admin