Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Other Federal Prisons
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Federal Prisons All Federal prisons that are not listed in their own category.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 PM

Default New to PTO-Need Info on Lexington Women's Camp

I have been sentenced to 41 months and have just received my letter that I am to self report to the FMC Women's Camp in Lexington, KY on July 22.

Does anyone have any information on this satellite camp? Such as-
1. How many can visit at one time?
2. How long can you visit at one time?
3. What items can I bring with me?
4. Do they have email?
5. Will I probably stay there my entire sentence or transfer?
6. Does anyone have a commissary list?
7. What is a "satellite" camp?
8. Do they offer any type of classes?

And any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2009, 06:45 PM

Default Lexington Camp Info

Here is the answers to your questions on the Camp in Lexington KY

1. You can have a total of 5 visitors at a time, this includes children. If you have more, it has to be approved in advanced by the Unit Leader. Make sure as soon as you get there to request visitor approval forms. You have to mail them back to your family/friends, they fill them out and send them back your counselor, and then they have to be put on your visitor approval list. Sometimes some of the family in your pre-sentence report are already approved, but not always a guarantee.

2. Length of visits.... First, you get 12 points to use each month. A Friday night visit from 5pm-9pm is 1 point. A Saturday or Sunday visit from 8:30am-3pm is considered 4 points. If your visitors are coming on Saturday or Sunday, make sure they are there between 8:30am-9:15am or after 10:30am. They will not accept visitors after 9:15am until the 10am Head Count has cleared.

3. Can't bring anything with you. I recommend you plain white cotton underwear and a plain white bra (no underwire) and plain white socks... most likely they will let you keep those to wear in. I recommend that you mail yourself your names and addresses and phone numbers of your friends and family. Mail it to yourself the day before you Self-Surrender, so you have it quickly. Those phone numbers are crucial to getting your phone list set-up and going. Check BOP.gov for information on mailing to the facility.

4. No E-mail at this facility. Sorry.... You get used to the old fashioned way of communicating by mail.

5. Odds are you will spend your entire sentence in Lexington. You have to wail 18 months to request a transfer and then to request a transfer you have to be over 500 miles away from home. If you are under 500 miles from home, they won't even consider a transfer.

6. I don't have a commissary list, but can tell you that you will have to purchase all your own hygiene products, such as soap, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, toothbrush, deoderant...Girls will help you out when you first arrive until you can purchase your items. They also have soda, chips, candy, crackers that type of stuff available at the commissary. You can only shop once a week on Tuesday or Thursday.

7. Satellite is becasue the camp is "attached" to a men's facility, which is called the Federal Medical Center. You can see the men's facility from the camp, but you have NO contact with the men what so ever. Their facility is behind a fence, the camp has no fences.

8. They have some "classes" at the facility, but I will be honest with you they are kind of a joke. Things like Oragami, Crocheting.... just "keep" busy things, your best bet is to do whatever interests you and learn to go with the flow.

Other information.... I just want to tell you it will not be easy, but it is bearable. The time you spend there is what you make of it. If you want to be miserable, you will be miserable, if you want to try and "live life" with a positive attitude you can. This camp is called Camp Atwood, it is located on the outskirts of Lexington KY. You are free to go outside to designated areas every day from 7am-9pm, I highly recommend spending time outdoors. You will be assigned a job within the first month. The jobs are no fun, but again if you make the best of it it's not so bad, it helps time pass everyday. I want to warn you now, the building does not have air-conditioning, so you it will be a little hot and sticky in the summer, but it gives all the girls something in common and kind of helps the bonding. I highly recommend that you look up the information on the BOP site on how to Western Union Money. THE SAME day you self-surrend have money wired to your account. It will post within a few hours, so that you can shop at the commissary quickly. I was fortunate, I SS on a Tuesday, my family did the western union 1 hour after they dropped me off and by 5pm that evening I was able to shop. BUT rest assured there are so many helpful girls there that will loan you what you need until you can get it. I hope this gives you some insight, if you have more questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Take Care of Yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley2008 View Post
I have been sentenced to 41 months and have just received my letter that I am to self report to the FMC Women's Camp in Lexington, KY on July 22.

Does anyone have any information on this satellite camp? Such as-
1. How many can visit at one time?
2. How long can you visit at one time?
3. What items can I bring with me?
4. Do they have email?
5. Will I probably stay there my entire sentence or transfer?
6. Does anyone have a commissary list?
7. What is a "satellite" camp?
8. Do they offer any type of classes?

And any other information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ckwlexky For This Useful Post:
Huxley2008 (07-12-2009)
Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Default Spent two years at Lexington Camp

I spent two years at Lexington Camp for women. Let me know if you have other questions, I will be more than happy to help.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM

Thank you so much for the info...I do have a few more questions if that is ok.

1. Can you tell me what a typical day is like?
2. Can soft cover books and magazines be sent by family? If so is there a limit?
3. Can anything else be mailed to me by family besides letters?
4. What are the sleeping and showering arrangements?
5. Is there a place to exercise/lift weights/walk?
6. How much $$$ should I have to go to the commissary for the first time?
7. Can you purchase a fan at the commissary for those "hot" days?

I know I will have more questions as my time to leave gets closer as I am more frightened of the "not knowing what to expect".

Thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Default Answers to Lexington Camp Questions

1. Typical Day is Breakfast is served from 6:30am-7:30am. Lunch is served from 10:30am-12Noon (your time for lunch will depend on your job assignment). Dinner is served from 4:30pm-5:30pm. Then there is scheduled count times where you have to be in your room at your bed. Some of the counts you are required to stand, others you just have to be in the room. Each day you are counted at 5am, 4pm, 10pm, Midnight and 3am. There is a "check-in" type of count at 8am and 1pm if you work inside the facility. Some of the jobs are in other buildings. You will work your job 5 days a week. Most everyone has to start in food service. You will either, do dishes, serve food or clean the dining room. You will either work AM or PM foodservice. If you have AM you go to work at 5:30am and are done at 12 Noon. If you do PM food service you work 12Noon and are done at 6pm. You don't actually "work" all of that time.... it's easy stuff, just be there on time and do what you are suppose to. After 90 days, you can start seeking other employment, such as landscaping, warehouse, orderly (cleaning) etc... Good Jobs are limited. I stayed in food service, because it was easy and I liked the schedule. Anyway your typical day is what you make of it. As long as you don't have to be at work or in your room for count time, you can do whatever you want. There is an outdoor area to hang out, there is a road that you can walk and exercise, there is a gym with some limited equipment, you can play cards with friends, you can read all day, you can watch TV in the TV rooms, basically whatever you want.

2. Yes your family can send you paperback books and magazines. The limit is 5 at a time. Since you will be there for some time I would recommend if you want magazines, that you sign-up for the subscriptions and have them sent directly to you at the camp. I had three subscriptions and always looked forward to the mail when they arrived. I love to read, so my husband and my mom were always sending me books and then I would share them with others. There is quite a few books in the library (well worn out books) and you will find that others will share with you as well.

3. Your family can also mail you puzzle books, such as Suduko, Word Finds, Crosswords, but that is it. Books and magazines. They can also send you a calendar each year, but it can not have a ring type binder.

4. The sleeping arrangements will vary for you as time goes on. At first you will be in a "bus stop". This is a room with 10-14 people in bunk beds. After some time you will be moved by staff or you can request with your Case manager to be moved to a smaller room. There are rooms with 2 people, 3 people, 4 people 6 people and 8 people. Bathrooms are like public restrooms. Toilets with stalls and Showers with stalls. Some bathrooms have 1 toilet, sink and shower, others have 2-4 toilets with several sinks and showers. The showers are on first come first serve basis, so you can get lucky and often get an individual bathroom for showering, you just have to wait your turn in line. All the showers have shower curtains and are individual, so privacy is Okay.

4. Answered that earlier, yes you can exercise and lift weights, I hightly recommend it. It helped me keep a clear head and made me feel better about myself. I walked everyday.

6. You will be limited to $290 a month to spend on commissary. If you can afford it, be ready to spend that much the first month or two. You will want to purchase tennis shoes, shorts, shower shoes, a FAN, socks (the ones they issure you are awful).. You will need your initial supply of hygiene products. It adds up at the beginning, but is easy to budget yourself once you get set-up. Shoes will run you $30-40, shorts around $10, I think the fans were around $35, as you see it will be expensive at first, but your tennis shoes will last you a year before you will need a new pair. Most purchase a radio, which is great for music, but also required in order to watch TV, you tune into a radio station in order to hear the TV. I think the radio was around $25-35. I would also recommend the alarm clock so that you never are late for work. I believe it was around $10. When the weather starts getting cooler you will want to purchase sweats and sweatshirt around $15-20 each.

7. Yes you can buy a fan and it was what SAVED me during the hot days and nights. You will need it.

If you think of more questions I will be happy to answer them for you. I know it's hard to believe, but once you get as "settled" as you can in your new environment, you can make it work and make the best of it. I am not going to say it's easy, but I will say you can do anything you put your mind to. I saw so many "negative" girls that made each day miserable by always being down and sad, but luckily I made friends with girls that had "positive" attitudes and we did things together to make life as enjoyable as possible. It is what you make of it. Of course the hardest part is being away from your family and friends, but you don't have to lose touch, use the mail, it is a wonderful thing. I enjoyed writing letters out and loved to get mail and was very fortunate to have people that continually wrote me and made me feel a part of their lives still. Let me know if you need anything else.

Last piece of advice. Don't hesitate to ask girls questions. It is the only way you will learn your way around and understand what is going on. JUST ASK, they will answer any questions you have. You will find most are very friendly and understand you need help, because they were in your shoes when they first arrived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huxley2008 View Post
Thank you so much for the info...I do have a few more questions if that is ok.

1. Can you tell me what a typical day is like?
2. Can soft cover books and magazines be sent by family? If so is there a limit?
3. Can anything else be mailed to me by family besides letters?
4. What are the sleeping and showering arrangements?
5. Is there a place to exercise/lift weights/walk?
6. How much $$$ should I have to go to the commissary for the first time?
7. Can you purchase a fan at the commissary for those "hot" days?

I know I will have more questions as my time to leave gets closer as I am more frightened of the "not knowing what to expect".

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to ckwlexky For This Useful Post:
Huxley2008 (07-18-2009)