Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM

Default Excessive force...

Hi everyone,

I need a little help on what to do and who to call regarding excessive force being used on my husband?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

Does he have a defense lawyer, and is there a criminal case pending that's related to the use of force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine70 View Post
Hi everyone,

I need a little help on what to do and who to call regarding excessive force being used on my husband?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
Does he have a defense lawyer, and is there a criminal case pending that's related to the use of force?
There's no case pending related to this. He's is prison right now serving time on a violation. He does also have a lawyer but I wasn't sure what to do first. Contact his lawyer? Contact the warden? Where do I start? He was just on his way back to his cell when he got harassed by a co and then they all just started beating him up. He may have broken bones??? He was hurt really bad and they didn't bother to take him to medical. I'm just really worried. Maybe I'll call his lawyer tomorrow, but please let me know if I can talk to anyone else also. Thanks!

Last edited by sunshine70; 04-01-2010 at 10:46 PM..
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

You can sometimes get welfare and health information from the Chaplain's office.

At this point, he could consider a civil suit. Winning is probably unlikely (I expect they'll have a darn fine reason they agree on if it was that significant of a beat down), but maybe there is video that could be preserved by court order.
There is a way to file an administrative complaint against any peace officer. Again, if there's a video that might do some good.
If there is no video, the word of a group of peace officers means that complaints of any variety will almost certainly fall on deaf ears. There's also the possibility of future retaliation to consider.

Quote:
There's no case pending related to this. He's is prison right now serving time on a violation. He does also have a lawyer but I wasn't sure what to do first. Contact his lawyer? Contact the warden? Where do I start? He was just on his way back to his cell when he got harassed by a co and then they all just started beating him up. He may have broken bones??? He was hurt really bad and they didn't bother to take him to medical. I'm just really worried. Maybe I'll call his lawyer tomorrow, but please let me know if I can talk to anyone else also. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryphon For This Useful Post:
sunshine70 (04-05-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 12:21 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,165 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
If you call the prison and tell them you think that your husband might have broken bones but has been unable to get an appointment to see a doctor - they HAVE to have a doctor check him out.

I called and said I had gotten a letter from my son and in it he said he was "banged up" - and they pulled him out that same day and had the doctor check him out.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:11 AM

i actually have this same question bc my bf was in a fight with other inmates and the tower guards shot him in the head and now he has a fractured skull, concusion and his brain is bleeding. he has begun to heal now and lucky no brain damage. he wants to file a civil law suit for cruel and unusual punishment.

~So-CaL G-2-G~
~June 26th, 2010~
~Bixby Park, Long Beach~