Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > PWCIP - Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PWCIP - Introductions Welcome to the Parents With Children in Prison Forum. Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself!

Old 05-29-2014, 06:23 PM

Default Hi, I'm Jared's mom - NDNSeer2

Hi all. My 22 yo son is in the work camp at Suwannee, FL. I'm a bit wacked out since I read about the deaths and abuse in that place. I haven't heard from him in a while and any advice would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2014, 07:42 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,675 Times in 13,603 Posts

W to Prison Talk and to the PWCIP forum. I hope your son is OK and you hear from him soon. Be sure to check the FL Prison forums
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

and the FL Region II work camp sticky.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/for...lay.php?f=1640
Old 05-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 22,988 Times in 6,341 Posts

Don't fear mom...God goes with your son. He will be okay.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 PM

My son self surrendered to Sheridan Oregon. His designation papers said FCI
When we pulled into the parking lot. A sign pointed to self surrender at the FCI entrance.
When they asked for his I.D. and looked him up in the system. He was directed to the FCI dentention rather than the Satilite Camp next door.
He has been there 10 days now. He has applied for the RDAP program and been placed on a waiting list.
My question is.....when do they determine his security classification?( Sorry, I am new to this as it is his first time). He has been able to make a couple of very short calls before it cuts us off. He says he is sleeping in a open dormitory in the FCI and that he has not been assigned a case manager. He says they have the RDAP program in medium security where he is at, as well as over at the minimum security camp next door. So, does it mean he is going to stay where he is at for his sentence? Or, is it possible for him to still be moved to the minimum security camp? Is there any information I can access online about him inparticular other than just his release date on the bop.gov. Thank you for your help. I am trying to figure this all out.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,675 Times in 13,603 Posts

My#1son:

His designation was probably completed prior to his self surrender date by the office in Grand Prairie, TX (at least that's how it usually happens). If he will be transferred to a different prison complex other than Sheridan from the detention center, some prisons consider that information to be a possible security issue and they won't tell the inmate where he is headed. Other counselors will inform them where they are going, so he needs to ask his counselor. Each prison housing unit usually has a resident counselor who holds occasional "open houses" for questions. If his ultimate designation is still undecided (I spent 3 months in a detention center waiting for mine) he may be there for awhile.

If he is approved for RDAP. he will be moved to a prison that has an opening, but usually not until the last couple years of his sentence. Where he is initially designated doesn't always mean that is where he will take RDAP.

Communications are the most difficult soon after any move between prisons, and especially when he first enters bop custody. He won't have access to the inmate phone system (which doesn't mean he won't be allowed to make a short call from his counselor's, or maybe even the Chaplain's offices) until his phone list has been submitted & approved by his counselor, and he receives his 9 digit telephone pin # in the mail. Once all of that happens, he can call his approved numbers collect (but your phone must accept collect calls) or he can use the phone, and his pin #, to transfer money from his inmate commissary account to his ITS account to purchase prepaid phone minutes, which are much less expensive than calling collect.

Try to be patient. All of your, and his, questions will be answered eventually.