Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Probation, Parole & Supervision
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Probation, Parole & Supervision Having problems (or need info) with Probation, Parole or Community Corrections & Supervision?? Lets talk about it here.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:25 AM

Default Question about MWI relationship & Interstate Compact re:parole

My boyfriend and I are trying to ensure that he is paroled out of his home state to my state (Pennsylvania) next year. I am very aware that they do not like to parole out of state unless it is to immediate family members. He has been in and out of jail many times in his home state. I think it would be obvious to the parole board that letting him out in a state where his old Ďfriendsí will lure him back into his previous life of drug abuse would be a bad idea. Here with me, he has a stable home, a job waiting for him, and people waiting to help support him.

Iím assuming that is getting married before he is released will not hurt our chances at interstate parole, but will getting married help at all? I just canít see how the parole board would rather release him back into a proven toxic environment than release him into a loving, stable home where he is employed and able to start his life over.

I guess Iím just asking if anyone has experience with this. And if getting married is going to help, should we do it as soon as possible or does it not really matter?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 02:00 PM

Thanked 1,132 Times in 507 Posts

Have you had a relationship prior to incarceration?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:25 PM
Site Moderator

Thanked 23,628 Times in 8,316 Posts

Married won't hurt, but it's not guaranteed to help. What state is he looking to be released from? Each state must agree to the interstate compact and each state will have their own requirements to be met.
My husband is paroling in CA and our home is in Arizona. He has opted to wait until he has done 6 months in a halfway house in Cali before applying. This will allow him to pay off his restitution (req'd by CA and AZ) and show stability to the receiving state.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Married won't hurt, but it's not guaranteed to help. What state is he looking to be released from? Each state must agree to the interstate compact and each state will have their own requirements to be met.
My husband is paroling in CA and our home is in Arizona. He has opted to wait until he has done 6 months in a halfway house in Cali before applying. This will allow him to pay off his restitution (req'd by CA and AZ) and show stability to the receiving state.
He is in Kentucky and would be paroling to Pennsylvania.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:47 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,899 Times in 17,033 Posts

You may want to look over the IC Rules, Bench Book and Advisory Opinions on the IOCAS website (https://www.interstatecompact.org/).
See below for a little hope:

Quote:
A receiving state can accept supervision of an offender who does not meet the mandatory acceptance criteria. However, acceptance of supervision is discretionary with the receiving state under circumstances other than those listed above. For example, an offender who is ineligible for mandatory transfer due to the nature of the offense or the offender’s failure to meet residency and employment requirements may be transferred under the discretionary provisions of the rules. See ICAOS Advisory Opinion 4-2005. Under such circumstances, transfer may be warranted when in the opinion of both the sending and receiving states such a transfer is in the interests of justice and rehabilitation. It must be emphasized, however, that a discretionary transfer requires the consent of both the sending and receiving states. The failure to obtain such consent prohibits the transfer of supervision.
https://www.interstatecompact.org/be...neral-overview

I would try to use the words in the interests of justice and rehabilitation in any paperwork that has to be filled out and/or letters written in support of his transfer Good luck to you both!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Jarizzi (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Sunny View Post
Have you had a relationship prior to incarceration?
No, we met while he was incarcerated. I just feel that if he is released back to the same environment that he was in before...sure I could move down there to be with him but itís going to be a toxic environment for him. Eventually the drugs and the Ďlifestyleí will reach him. Heís too good of a person to be dumped back into a place like that. I love him too much to watch that happen. There has to be SOMETHING I can do to make this happen for us. I realize how the system works but you know what? If he was a celebrity, he wouldnít have a problem getting interstate parole. So if they can do it, we should be able to do it. I donít care if I have to hire an expensive lawyer or whatever. I wonít sit by and let the system destroy the man that I love.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
[color=Indigo]You may want to look over the IC Rules, Bench Book and Advisory Opinions on the IOCAS website
I would try to use the words in the interests of justice and rehabilitation in any paperwork that has to be filled out and/or letters written in support of his transfer Good luck to you both!
Thank you for writing this. It gives me a little bit of hope. Iím crying while Iím writing this because Iíve been so frustrated at the system so far and I know I have a long way to go and a lot of work to do to make this happen. But I will never give up. He is the most caring, honest man Iíve ever known. He has worked so hard to turn his life around and I canít watch all of that be for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jarizzi For This Useful Post:
patchouli (02-26-2020)