Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:56 AM

Default Heading to Terre Haute Prison Camp Aug 10th: What can I take? Commissary?

I got sentenced to 4 months in Terre Haute prison camp. I leave August 10 couple ?s I am on blood pressure meds and have kidney issues my doctor wrote me a note explaining my issues and meds. Do I bring my meds w me? Als can I bring a paper w address and phone numbers w me? And my first time at commissary is there a limit on spending the 1st time ? Also am I eligible for HWH or home confinement ? Thx for any help

Last edited by Paul12001; 08-05-2018 at 08:04 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanked 1,130 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12001 View Post
I got sentenced to 4 months in Terre Haute prison camp. I leave August 10 couple ?s I am on blood pressure meds and have kidney issues my doctor wrote me a note explaining my issues and meds. Do I bring my meds w me? Als can I bring a paper w address and phone numbers w me? And my first time at commissary is there a limit on spending the 1st time ? Also am I eligible for HWH or home confinement ? Thx for any help
My husband is at a camp in Duluth, MN and as for meds he brought in empty pill bottles with recent dates on them so they can see that he was still on the meds when he arrived (they were also documented in his PSR as yours should be, although they often disregard that and do their own assessment of what you need). He had no problem getting those same meds prescribed to him, but one of his roommates was put on a higher dose of BP meds than his own Dr prescribed for him, so just be aware of issues like that. You can try to bring in the meds too, the worst they can do is confiscate them since you may not go to the Dr for a day or two.

As for the addresses, in his case, he both brought in a paper list of addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses and sent to himself in the mail. They did allow him to bring in the paper list. Having said that, to set up email, you also need the person's address, and I think to set up a phone number you also need an address. So just send duplicates of everything to yourself. He also went through Amazon/BN and picked books out he wanted sent to him before he left and left me with a book list and sent himself the booklist so that he can tell me which books he wants and when.

No limit on first time commmissary, but there is a monthly limit of about $320 or so. Email, stamps, phone and some other items like vitamins don't go against your total spending limit ever.

Is your entire sentence only 4 months? If so, then you most likely won't be eligible for HC or HWH. It's too short of a sentence. You are definitely not eligible for early release/Good Time Credit because that needs to be a 1 year and 1 day sentence.

One other bit of advice, do NOT complain at all about having a short sentence. To you it may seem like a horrible situation, but many people in there have been there for years or will be, the one thing guys at the camps have problems with are guys who come in with short sentences and all they do is complain about getting screwed, or how it sucks they're in prison or whatever. My husband has a somewhat short sentence and well below his guidelines and he went in there knowing not to brag about it or say anything. He is appreciative for the sentence he got, but even so, when others hear what he has, they are petty and jealous. Same with the fact if you get visitors. Instead of guys being happy for you, they will be jealous and petty. You just need to ignore that. PM me if you have any questions.

There is nothing to fear at a camp, guys just want to do their time and get out for the most part.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-05-2018), Free At Last 5 (08-11-2018), sidewalker (08-06-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,132 Times in 11,754 Posts

I agree to not take your prescription meds with you. Mine were taken, and I was told they couldn't be sent home even though I had gotten them through the mail. The medical staff will decide what RX meds you will receive.

You are allowed to keep "legal paperwork" and what I took included names, addresses and phone numbers, but definitely mail yourself a backup copy.

Here's a link to the TH commissary list.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...mmlist0110.pdf

In most bop prisons you will need a radio or MP3 player with an FM band to hear the TV audio. A sweatsuit is necessary if the place is too cold. If it isn't air conditioned (I don't know anything about TH) you may be able to buy a personal fan.

The bop could allow you to serve your entire sentence in a HWH or on HC, but my guess is that you will serve all of yours at Terre Haute.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
I agree to not take your prescription meds with you. Mine were taken, and I was told they couldn't be sent home even though I had gotten them through the mail. The medical staff will decide what RX meds you will receive.

You are allowed to keep "legal paperwork" and what I took included names, addresses and phone numbers, but definitely mail yourself a backup copy.

Here's a link to the TH commissary list.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/instit...mmlist0110.pdf

In most bop prisons you will need a radio or MP3 player with an FM band to hear the TV audio. A sweatsuit is necessary if the place is too cold. If it isn't air conditioned (I don't know anything about TH) you may be able to buy a personal fan.

The bop could allow you to serve your entire sentence in a HWH or on HC, but my guess is that you will serve all of yours at Terre Haute.
Don't waste money on an MP3, especially for only 4 months. It's like an iPod, you have to keep buying stuff. The radio however, is a must. My husband just had to buy his second one this week because the other one broke and it costs like $50. Also you need headphones (he is on his 3rd pair, they are so crappy). You can't watch the tv's without the headphones because it's a simulcast basically. Guys wear sweats and sweatshirts when lounging around, and you'll want to buy some shorts, but you won't need much extra for the few short months you're there. I wouldn't spend on long underwear or at least wait until the end to see if you really need it, or you may be able to buy it or borrow off of someone towards the end, or get someone to just give it to you who is leaving then. My husband's place is not air conditioned, so he did buy a small fan. That too I think was like $11. The couple nights it was hot there this summer he said it was brutal. Other facilities I know do have a/c but don't know about TH. You will want a fan if you can get it.

You'll figure out quickly what to get and what not to waste your money on. You get commissary once/week. You need to buy deoderant and some other toiletries, but they give you some other ones too.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:52 PM

Something else I forgot. You will need to show proof of restitution payment if you've made it and your judgment, so make sure you bring it in, or have someone on the outside be prepared to have that stuff ready to send in. I had to send it in about a month later. If I hadn't they were going to take restitution from my husband. Nevermind that this was all on the internet at their own disposal but they were too lazy to look it up themselves!
Old 08-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul12001 View Post
Most of your questions have already been answered, and I will only contribute to the HWH/HC eligibility question.

I've read on this forum and some other sites about federal prisoners sentenced to 4-10 months in a federal prison camp or satellite camp, and these prisoners were approached by their counselors and informed the camp was going to put in the paperwork to have these prisoners transferred out of the camp and into a HWH/HC situation - and only after 3-4 weeks of time served in the camp.

Now, this is definitely not the norm, but it does appear to happen at camps. It might be worth posing the question to your counselor and see what he/she says.

Just my two cents from someone who has read a lot the last three years, but has not yet served a single day behind bars - well, one day during my arrest/indictment, but that doesn't count.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:35 PM
Owned

Thanked 3,981 Times in 1,825 Posts

"Just my two cents from someone who has read a lot the last three years, but has not yet served a single day behind bars - well, one day during my arrest/indictment, but that doesn't count."

You are right on more than one count; somebody going to a federal prison camp will not be "behind bars", but on the other side of things?

If one is given an ultra light sentence of just a few months?

It will be served in a federal prison facility. A prison sentence will not magically be converted to time in a half way house or on home confinement.

When a federal judge says prison? You are going to a prison even though a federal prison camp is "prison lite".
fbopnomore (08-05-2018), xolady (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:46 AM

thanks everyone I am pretty nervous I leave this friday
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul12001 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 AM

Good luck, Paul.

Last edited by ElMaestro; 08-06-2018 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: edit
Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safran View Post
"Just my two cents from someone who has read a lot the last three years, but has not yet served a single day behind bars - well, one day during my arrest/indictment, but that doesn't count."
Actually, that single day will count towards your time served.

Last edited by 99mtg00; 08-07-2018 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: formatting
Old 08-11-2018, 12:31 AM

You are actually eligible to serve the last 10% on Home confinement. So for 120 days, thatís 12 days. Itís something...
Old 08-16-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttexrbomb View Post
You are actually eligible to serve the last 10% on Home confinement. So for 120 days, thatís 12 days. Itís something...
With the way terre haute has been, they wonít even give him an option to go for 12 days. Lots of guys HWH and HC have been delayed 3-4 months. To the point where some of them decided to stay at camp instead of going to HWH for the last 2-3 months of their sentence.

Everything there has been a mess this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to hawkcub09 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (08-16-2018)