Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > PTO Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PTO Lounge Come in... put your feet up and relax... talk about anything non-prison related! Hobbies, Books, Technical and Do it Yourself, Travel and more.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:17 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 18,537 Times in 6,714 Posts
Default Election season is upon us, website designed to help you do your part

"Crush the Midterms takes the guesswork out of political planning, and provides time-strapped voters with a succinct and custom-tailored step-by-step plan of action. It is the first online platform that puts the power in the hands of voters to create and execute their own campaign plans for the 2018 elections. It provides users with concrete actions on how to spend their time, money, and other resources to support the most impactful campaigns and organizations. It create a sense of accountability for people, and increase the likelihood that individuals will follow through on their commitments."

Seven questions to get a feel for your political interests and issues specific to your voting district and it spits out a custom plan to be as active a participant in this midterm election as you'd like to be.

www.crushthemidterms.org
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-10-2018), LifeTraveler (08-05-2018), Minor activist (08-05-2018), Nickel Timer (08-05-2018), patchouli (08-05-2018), sidewalker (08-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 05:01 PM
Off-Paper Since 2009
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,107 Posts

The ACLU has just become weaponized as well.

For the first time in its nearly 100-year history, starting this year, they aren't standing silent when it comes to elections any more.

They are borrowing from the NRA's playbook and tabulating scorecards so all their members can see where each candidate stands on the issues, so they can be better informed to know who to vote for.

Time to rock the vote 2018!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-05-2018), patchouli (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 05:37 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Glad to hear it! Although on some it doesn't take much digging. Two of my local favorites--

Don Shooter, a man who doesn't qualify based on residency alone, is running for AZ senate. I guess we'll just skip over the fact that he was ousted from the House recently after a three month investigation into sexual harassment or that he has an open lawsuit for $1.3million against members of the governor's staff.

He does fund his own campaign signs along I8 headed into Yuma:

(electronic billboard that cycles through different ads)

Running against Shooter, we have Mr. Brent Backus.

I feel optimistic already.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-10-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:35 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 31,991 Times in 14,723 Posts

Boo hoo hoo....according Crush the Midterms, the US House of Representative race for my district is "safe republican."

I was approached by a tRump supporter today outside a local convenient store, asked me why I thought tRump should be impeached (I've used stencils and colored perm markers on the back of many of my t-shirts ). But then he hardly let me get a word in before interrupting with one of tRumps lies - repeatedly. Had a lie for every issue I brought up...then he told me that I must be uneducated, that he has 2 degrees. My parting shot? Told him that he must have gone to tRump University

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-05-2018), Nickel Timer (08-05-2018), sidewalker (08-10-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 07:38 PM

Thanked 2,351 Times in 1,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Boo hoo hoo....according Crush the Midterms, the US House of Representative race for my district is "safe republican."

I was approached by a tRump supporter today outside a local convenient store, asked me why I thought tRump should be impeached (I've used stencils and colored perm markers on the back of many of my t-shirts ). But then he hardly let me get a word in before interrupting with one of tRumps lies - repeatedly. Had a lie for every issue I brought up...then he told me that I must be uneducated, that he has 2 degrees. My parting shot? Told him that he must have gone to tRump University
At least you guys have Paul for a senator. I loved his dad. 1st campaign I ever help. The son is all for prison reform.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:01 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
At least you guys have Paul for a senator. I loved his dad. 1st campaign I ever help. The son is all for prison reform.

Yeah, but other than that, he's an idiot IMHO, of course. He supports the nomination of Kavanaugh, does not believe Planned Parenthood should receive Federal funding (does he even KNOW all the services PP supplies for women?!), does not believe Sanctuary Cities should receive Federal funding) But as we all know, a politician's opinion changes, depending on whether or not its an election year

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
onedayatatime13 (08-05-2018), sidewalker (08-10-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Quote:

I got one of those, too. Given that my state is eye deep in Red, I'd rather have a safe one than a dangerous(?) one. I hate lesser of two evils decisions.

I did see that while they showed Ducey likely to win re-election (ugh), my candidate of choice was highlighted as endorsed by several prominent pro-working class organizations. Maybe that will help.

I've actually seen a quieting down here on political speech at the grocery store. You'd think of all places this would be one that Reds felt comfortable waving a flag. But that hasn't been the case. I think the Latinx community has done a fantastic job of coming front and center and leading the fight.

Last year, right after the election, I had an interaction at the border crossing that summed up the "Build a Wall" fan club. I had crossed to have dinner and drinks. Drinks happened next to a strip club, aka brothel. Upon crossing back, we ended up waiting for the restrooms with a few gentleman who had come from the brothel. Drunk and happily hand-jobbed, one started telling me how Trump was going to beef up security and this wall was a good idea. I told him I just thought it would increase ladder sales. He didn't get it. It was disgusting to me that the same person who didn't mind paying a few dollars to get what he got could have the cajones to wave his Idiot flag so proudly inside the border station. Seriously dude? You are what's wrong with this place and you're already here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-05-2018), sidewalker (08-10-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but other than that, he's an idiot IMHO, of course. He supports the nomination of Kavanaugh, does not believe Planned Parenthood should receive Federal funding (does he even KNOW all the services PP supplies for women?!), does not believe Sanctuary Cities should receive Federal funding) But as we all know, a politician's opinion changes, depending on whether or not its an election year
I'm Libertarian, so no one makes me happy. I never voted party lines. I do believe a blue wave is coming. Unfortunately, I do not see progress happy that way either. I was so engrossed in politics for many years and now disgusted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-10-2018), patchouli (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 PM
PTO Administrator

Donation Award 

I don't always vote party lines either, and don't know that I will this time either, it just depends.....but, these are strange times we live in. Very strange (and frustrating)

Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I don't always vote party lines either, and don't know that I will this time either, it just depends.....but, these are strange times we live in. Very strange (and frustrating)
Very strange times. People just follow thinking someone knows better then them. If it doesn't affect them, they don't pay attention. Most people vote on a single issue or two.

I have worked on many elections. Politicians are humans and flawed. Some are great people. Some like their face in the paper. I look for the ones who do the work. Not the ones who give a good sound bite.

The American public is scared of everything and are solely looking for someone to fix it and make their life better. Government usually makes it worse and spends tons of money that the private sector would never do.

I'm watching the national and state level this year. My area bleeds red, so not much will change locally. State as a whole bleeds blue, so it will be interesting to see what happens esp after the series of scandals that led to arrests and convictions.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Fridyrr.Likn (08-10-2018), miamac (08-06-2018), patchouli (08-06-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 07:32 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,807 Times in 14,068 Posts

For a supposedly blue state.....I hear an awful lot of red comments from folks on radio.
(and a WHOLE LOT of Whataboutism)

I give up. Oh I'll vote but I sure hope no one bothers me at the grocery store.
I dont think I will be able to say anything nice if its a *red*

That's my dog's nose art

Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

I would take a picture, but it's a little inconveniently placed...we have sprouted Arpaio, "Vote Sheriff Joe" street signs in my part of town. It feels like a joke.

I don't like Cohen, but I still couldn't stop watching. Like a train wreck...
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
gvalliant (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Thanked 1,440 Times in 794 Posts

>Unfortunately, I do not see progress happy that way either.

I'm involved to prevent disaster. Happy progress would be a delightful surprise but I'm not expecting it.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:14 PM

Thanked 1,084 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
I would take a picture, but it's a little inconveniently placed...we have sprouted Arpaio, "Vote Sheriff Joe" street signs in my part of town. It feels like a joke.

I don't like Cohen, but I still couldn't stop watching. Like a train wreck...
I'd heard about this but OMG. Cohen went way overboard and Joe reacts by trying to joke with him? On camera? This guy is running for Senate? Watched the whole thing. I guess it was funny, I laughed for a while, then started squirming. Jeez.

He will suck enough votes away from any legitimate Republican candidate that it should be a slam dunk for AZ Democrats. They should be grinning from ear to ear now. No need to waste time talking about issues or campaigning or irrelevant things like that. Just run the tape a few weeks before the election.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvalliant For This Useful Post:
miamac (08-10-2018), patchouli (08-11-2018)