Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM

Default Visiting this Weekend!

My guy got picked up on a parole violation (in the very beginning of March) and was in county for almost 3 months until he was transferred to a 97 day program as an alternative to incarceration. When he was in County I was able to see him every week unless I was out of town and we spoke damn near every day, but now that he's in this program he is only allowed visits every other weekend and phone calls on every other alternating weekend. Since he's been there we've only talked twice but this weekend he has a visit and I'm super excited to go see him!

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics... Bus or drive, hotel or not... but I'm 100 percent sure I'm going up finally see his face after a month and a half of not seeing and barely talking to him. It finally hit me today and I got super excited and I really wanted to tell someone so thats basically why I'm here. I hope you guys are getting to spend some time with your incarcerated loved ones or at least get to speak to them over this holiday weekend
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2019, 08:36 PM

Hope you have a great visit! I am getting to visit my man for the 1st time since he was transferred from county this Friday. Excited for both you and myself getting our visits.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amandainohio For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:53 AM

That's so great! I'm a little nervous because I've never visited a prison before but the woman I spoke on the phone with was pretty friendly and have me a lot of info so I'm more prepared. And after this weekend he'll only have 44 days left!!
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,081 Times in 12,752 Posts

Have a great visit.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Thanked 3,425 Times in 1,600 Posts

Have a great visit. Bring ID, shirt should cover up to collar bone, pants with little metal, nothing tight, and bring singles, quarters and fives.

The Following User Says Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
DailyLimitReach (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone!!

Do we think ripped jeans at the knee are off limits?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyLimitReach View Post
Thanks everyone!!

Where my guy is you cannot have any rips or tears on any clothing from what they said when I called to double check on things today

DailyLimitReach (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone!!

No ripped Jean's. You can wear capris and such as long as they are below the knee. Make sure nothing has to buttons or extra metal. You wont pass the detectors. Bring extra clothes just in case.

You can wear sandals and such. If you bra has metal clasps or an underwire they will make you take it off on the bathroom, go through the machine, then out it back on.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:00 PM

I'll go with the no rips then. When I spoke to them they told me no tank tops or open toes. Basically just t-shirt and jeans but the woman also seemed like she hadn't gotten these questions very often. She wasn't super sure but she was nice which I liked. When I asked her about uber she said it wasn't a good option because phones aren't allowed in the facility so for anyone traveling to Willard in the future keep that in mind.

Guess I'm also going with a bralette. That sounds super annoying to have to remove and put back on a bra there. I had a problem with one specific bra I was wearing at a visit in the city but they just let me through after using the wand so thanks for the heads up!
Old 07-04-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
I'll go with the no rips then. When I spoke to them they told me no tank tops or open toes. Basically just t-shirt and jeans but the woman also seemed like she hadn't gotten these questions very often. She wasn't super sure but she was nice which I liked. When I asked her about uber she said it wasn't a good option because phones aren't allowed in the facility so for anyone traveling to Willard in the future keep that in mind.

Guess I'm also going with a bralette. That sounds super annoying to have to remove and put back on a bra there. I had a problem with one specific bra I was wearing at a visit in the city but they just let me through after using the wand so thanks for the heads up!
Sports bra is what I wear. They will not wand you. If you cant pass the machine, you wont be allowed in. Simpler process then Rikers, but stricter.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Do you know about how long the process is? At Riker's it takes at least an hour from start to finish before you even get to the visitation waiting area. Trying to gauge what time I should get there and manage my expectations.

Edit: Oh also they said to bring cash but are 20 dollar bills too large to break. Should I bring smaller bills only?

Last edited by DailyLimitReach; 07-04-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Old 07-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Do you know about how long the process is? At Riker's it takes at least an hour from start to finish before you even get to the visitation waiting area. Trying to gauge what time I should get there and manage my expectations.

Edit: Oh also they said to bring cash but are 20 dollar bills too large to break. Should I bring smaller bills only?
I would go to the bank and get $20 to $30 in singles.

Never been there. We have been at 3 facilities. 20 minutes to 4 hours wait time. Further north you go less visited, so I would expect too long of a wait. Plus guys are short timers and they don't get a lot of visits.

Get quarters too

Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 PM

Thank you again!!! You've been so helpful to me I really wish I could like do something for you. This process has been a hard time but you've helped make it tolerable and offered me hope and answers when I didn't know where else to turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to DailyLimitReach For This Useful Post:
jessesgirl1111 (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM

Just enjoy the day this weekend

Old 07-08-2019, 07:11 AM

Back from seeing my guy! It was a really great day (considering). I took the bus up to Ithaca and walked around the college area for a little whie, had some tacos at a Taqueria and then grabbed a coffee at Starbucks. After that I headed up to the airport to pick up the rental car and then drove to my hotel. It was pretty no frills. It was pretty old and much of it was under renovation, or needed to be, but it was clean and the staff was really nice. After I settled in a little bit I took a short drive down to one of their parks on the Finger Lakes. The view was amazing!!! They had swing chairs on the banks and ducks everywhere. It really was such a peaceful moment. I really wished my guy could have been there with me. It was at that time that I was really grateful but also really sad.

Once it started to get dark I headed back to the hotel to do a little work and then get ready for the hour AM drive to his facility. I woke up later than I wanted to so I wasn't there at the first processing time but I made it there about 11 am. If I didn't know the place was for parolees I would have thought I was at a college campus. The building and grounds themselves were beautiful if not for the fences and barbed wire. Such a weird place to be. One thing that was really surprising was compared to the city, processing was a breeze! It took all of 10 minutes to get through the whole thing and be sitting in the visitation room. My guy came out about 4 minutes later dressed up in his state issued shirt and tie.

I'm sure many of you know what visits are like... Really bad food but you still enjoy it because you're sharing it with the person you love, having to sit in a weird room that resembles an elementary school cafeteria or gym in a warped flashback to your childhood. I dunno, I really can't wait for this to be over.

He seemed okay. He hates being there but he's happy to be leaving soon and has been doing pretty well with the classes and requirements. I really hope the next month and a half goes by quickly and we can be together again. Leaving him was so hard. In the meantime I'll stay busy with work and friends/family stuff to keep my mind occupied.

Amandainohio - How was your visit?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DailyLimitReach For This Useful Post:
Amandainohio (07-08-2019), miamac (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Back from seeing my guy! It was a really great day (considering). I took the bus up to Ithaca and walked around the college area for a little whie, had some tacos at a Taqueria and then grabbed a coffee at Starbucks. After that I headed up to the airport to pick up the rental car and then drove to my hotel. It was pretty no frills. It was pretty old and much of it was under renovation, or needed to be, but it was clean and the staff was really nice. After I settled in a little bit I took a short drive down to one of their parks on the Finger Lakes. The view was amazing!!! They had swing chairs on the banks and ducks everywhere. It really was such a peaceful moment. I really wished my guy could have been there with me. It was at that time that I was really grateful but also really sad.

Once it started to get dark I headed back to the hotel to do a little work and then get ready for the hour AM drive to his facility. I woke up later than I wanted to so I wasn't there at the first processing time but I made it there about 11 am. If I didn't know the place was for parolees I would have thought I was at a college campus. The building and grounds themselves were beautiful if not for the fences and barbed wire. Such a weird place to be. One thing that was really surprising was compared to the city, processing was a breeze! It took all of 10 minutes to get through the whole thing and be sitting in the visitation room. My guy came out about 4 minutes later dressed up in his state issued shirt and tie.

I'm sure many of you know what visits are like... Really bad food but you still enjoy it because you're sharing it with the person you love, having to sit in a weird room that resembles an elementary school cafeteria or gym in a warped flashback to your childhood. I dunno, I really can't wait for this to be over.

He seemed okay. He hates being there but he's happy to be leaving soon and has been doing pretty well with the classes and requirements. I really hope the next month and a half goes by quickly and we can be together again. Leaving him was so hard. In the meantime I'll stay busy with work and friends/family stuff to keep my mind occupied.

Amandainohio - How was your visit?
Glad to hear that your visit went well. I had a great visit even if the time did fly bye but any time we are together the time fly’s bye like no other almost lie we blink and hours have passed. Food wise I only ate 2 hard boiled eggs as I am not much for eating until later in the day but I do have to say that the hamburger that I got for him from the machine looked so dang good it has been on my mind since I got hungry later on Friday night. I know what I will be eating when I go to visit next week, lol. All of the other people there to visit seemed pretty nice and were very helpful anytime I had a question before we were taken back to visit. Our visit was from 8:30-3:15 which was very nice. Wish he was allowed a visit every week instead of 2x a month. He should be moved though in the next few weeks to his parent institution. He was extremely happy to be able to see me and said knowing that I was coming is what helped him keep his spirits up.

DailyLimitReach (07-08-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amandainohio View Post
Glad to hear that your visit went well. I had a great visit even if the time did fly bye but any time we are together the time fly’s bye like no other almost lie we blink and hours have passed. Food wise I only ate 2 hard boiled eggs as I am not much for eating until later in the day but I do have to say that the hamburger that I got for him from the machine looked so dang good it has been on my mind since I got hungry later on Friday night. I know what I will be eating when I go to visit next week, lol. All of the other people there to visit seemed pretty nice and were very helpful anytime I had a question before we were taken back to visit. Our visit was from 8:30-3:15 which was very nice. Wish he was allowed a visit every week instead of 2x a month. He should be moved though in the next few weeks to his parent institution. He was extremely happy to be able to see me and said knowing that I was coming is what helped him keep his spirits up.
I'm so happy you also had a good visit. Leaving is so hard and you're right the time really does fly by. It's the best and worst of it.