Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Folsom State Prison, located in Represa, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default FSP Newbie Q & A Thread

If you are new to this prison and you have any questions, please use this for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Cavie+Cavewoman=True Love

Default My Hubby Is on his way to Folsom.

I'm sad to say after 14yrs at ISP they are taking to Folsom. I'm going to have trouble getting there without a car. Celeste are you on this form? I live in Bellflower now and if anyone is down this way hit me up.. I never been to Folsom so I hope its better then the other rat hole my husband was at.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaviesWife View Post
I'm sad to say after 14yrs at ISP they are taking to Folsom. I'm going to have trouble getting there without a car. Celeste are you on this form? I live in Bellflower now and if anyone is down this way hit me up.. I never been to Folsom so I hope its better then the other rat hole my husband was at.
Hi Mrs. Cavie, I know the feeling! My husband transf'd out of Folsom today after almost 5 years of being there..the unknown is a pretty scary feeling. Folsom is actually a pretty laid back prison and visiting isnt that bad either. They have the vpass system to set up apts so there isnt anymore waiting in line overnight in your car!! you process in at your scheduled time, the officers take you down to visiting and you are free to find your loved one..there is an inside and outside where you can sit and walk around. Folsom has been good to us for the time we have been there. I wish you all the best and hope you can find a ride there to see your hunny

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMoran916 For This Useful Post:
Krazi Krone (11-09-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Cavie+Cavewoman=True Love

Thank you so much.. I'm excited to see Folsom,because Ironwood is really bad..
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 PM

Hi.. stupid question here..
My sister just got transferred to the 400 bed unit at Folsom that was something else.. it's not even showing up on the CDCR site yet..

but her and the other women that are there are not getting any television signal.. are any of the guys experiencing this.. and if so.. was there any fixes?

thanks.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:03 AM

My husband says there are only 3 or 4 tv stations and I guess it can get a little fuzzy, wow..i wasn't aware there were womens facilities at all. hope this helps
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar4711 View Post
My sister just got transferred to the 400 bed unit at Folsom that was something else.. it's not even showing up on the CDCR site yet..

but her and the other women that are there are not getting any television signal.. are any of the guys experiencing this.. and if so.. was there any fixes?

thanks.
Hi, from my understanding the building where the women are being housed at has been vacant for many years..hopefully this is just something that hasnt been set up yet but will soon be. Have you tried calling the prison?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenswytch View Post
My husband says there are only 3 or 4 tv stations and I guess it can get a little fuzzy, wow..i wasn't aware there were womens facilities at all. hope this helps
You are correct..there are only a handfull of ch's that the guys get.

The womens facility at Folsom is new..Folsom recently recieved the women who were being housed at Chowchilla.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:54 PM

How long does it really take to come off of orientation?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyalmighty
How long does it really take to come off of orientation?
About 2 weeks..my honey just got there last Wednesday..I'm waiting for same thing :/
tyalmighty (02-16-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 11:09 PM

Hi ladies..when my husband was in orientation I was told the max they could hold him there was 14 days..so im thinking the 2 weeks is pretty accurate

Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
always speaking my mind

FSP newbie here. Been to alot of different prisons but as we all know each one is different. looking for helpful info on visiting for the 1st time. Like what is the "real" dress code, not the one CDCR says is acceptable, i know how CO's are and make their own rules. Where am I going to? help me out ladies

Old 03-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Good evening all...We are new to Folsom I was just wondering if someone can give me the run down on visiting, phone calls, ya know all the usual questions when its a new home since every prison seems to have different rules lol? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank You.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Weathering the storm

Hello~ I was wondering if 3 yard is a level 3 general population yard? Thanks

Genuine friends are there to hold you down & weather the storm.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsHart View Post
Hello~ I was wondering if 3 yard is a level 3 general population yard? Thanks

I'm not sure, but I believe that Folsom is now level 2. I think most level 3's have been transferred out.
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
HarlemsHart (04-04-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:13 AM

Hi there. So I was just wondering how your sister is doing in Folsom? My daughter may be a par tof the next batch of women to transfer to Folsom. I was just curious how things are there for women. I wouls suspect low level, 400 is way better than what she's been dealing with. Can you share anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar4711 View Post

thanks.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Hi ,

My boyfriend was just transferred to Folsom. What is the deal with visiting, and phone calls? How soon before he can call me? it has been 4 long months since we talked ( he was at Wasco Reception)!! Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 PM

He will probably be on fish row (orientation) for about 2 weeks. After that, he'll be assigned a cell and should be able to make phone calls. You need to use VPASS to make a reservation for visits. After you register on their site, you can make a reservation beginning Sunday night at 7PM for the following weekend. Also, make sure you are approved to visit. If not, have your boyfriend send you a visiting application (make sure he signs it before he sends it) and you will send it back to the Visiting Sgt. at Folsom. If you were already approved for visiting when he was at Wasco, your approval will follow you to Folsom and you shouldn't have any trouble making a reservation.

Welcome!
The Following User Says Thank You to tglsmom For This Useful Post:
Allyn (04-21-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:28 AM

Hi all Newbies! My now husband and I were at Folsom on and off for the last two years... (transferred many times in between, but now finally at Fire Camp!!!). Anyways, We actually enjoyed Folsom second best to Fire Camp. Visits are pretty laid back and chill. Most CO's are pretty nice, and using VPASS makes the whole visiting process pretty easy. We got to talk on the phone every 2 - 3 days. Dress code is pretty usual, at least I think - think nothing too tight, no blue jeans, no white shirts without prints, camo, no underwire bras or leggings/tights. Bring your dollar bills and enjoy visits!! I can help answer any other specific questions. :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkieCA For This Useful Post:
Krazi Krone (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 12:23 AM

Yay! Signed up for VPASS, he is settled in his new digs and I am hoping for a Birthday visit 1st weekend of May. So far he still says he is much happier since moving. A little nervous still since the search at Solano.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 PM

Default Vpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkieCA View Post
Hi all Newbies! My now husband and I were at Folsom on and off for the last two years... (transferred many times in between, but now finally at Fire Camp!!!). Anyways, We actually enjoyed Folsom second best to Fire Camp. Visits are pretty laid back and chill. Most CO's are pretty nice, and using VPASS makes the whole visiting process pretty easy. We got to talk on the phone every 2 - 3 days. Dress code is pretty usual, at least I think - think nothing too tight, no blue jeans, no white shirts without prints, camo, no underwire bras or leggings/tights. Bring your dollar bills and enjoy visits!! I can help answer any other specific questions. :-)
Hi- Our son is transferring to FSP this week. Lots of ?s. My first one is -Hdsp didn't have vpass until this weekend and we, of course, hadn't used this process so we don't know anything about it. I have been on the site but I don't understand if it limits the visits in anyway? I also read that you might not be able to get the vpass appointment pass because of too many people, is this true? Do visits get cut short? Do you park outside the prison before it opens for visiting? Like I said, we have a lot of ?s. Thanks
Old 04-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyn

Hi- Our son is transferring to FSP this week. Lots of ?s. My first one is -Hdsp didn't have vpass until this weekend and we, of course, hadn't used this process so we don't know anything about it. I have been on the site but I don't understand if it limits the visits in anyway? I also read that you might not be able to get the vpass appointment pass because of too many people, is this true? Do visits get cut short? Do you park outside the prison before it opens for visiting? Like I said, we have a lot of ?s. Thanks
Oops I posted twice so deleted this one!!

Last edited by Mz*DlOc; 04-21-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyn

Hi Welcome to FSP!! You an go on to the CDCR website select folsom state prison and then click on visiting and you just make your acct for Vpass!! There's actually been quite a few openings still for appts, it's not hard to land a slot at all!! You book your appt a week in advance, the Sunday before your visit the appts become available at 7pm the Sunday before you want to visit!! Your allowed to schedule for both days!! Visits do get terminated (I'm new to folsom as well) starting w the people who came in first.. The two times I visited I got 9:30 appts, was actually in visiting room by 10:30 and stayed til 2!! I'm not sure about parking outside before visiting, you don't really have to do that because you have an appt time so that's not necessary! Any more questions ask away
Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyn View Post
You can have visits that are NOT terminated if you travel over 250 miles away and haven't visited in 30 days or less. And yes, there are usually lots of slots available if you get on VPASS on Sunday at 7PM. Otherwise, it can be difficult to nail down the time you want. It used to be that you couldn't be on the prison grounds before 6:30 and I think that still applies. If you are there before then, you can park down the street at the 7-11 and then enter the road to the prison at 6:30. Of course, if your appt. time is later than 7AM you don't have to worry about that. They also advise you to show up 15 min. before your appt. time. The first prison entrance on the right that you will see is for New Folsom. Don't turn here, but go all the way down the road to the parking lot for Old Folsom.

I know that it's confusing the first time. Like Ms*DIOc, I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have. Welcome!
Old 04-25-2013, 06:05 PM

Thanks for the help to each of you that responded. I was also wondering if anyone has had any problems viewing the vpass help video? My husband and I each tried to view it when the c/o was helping us on the phone and each of our computers said we needed to update our windows media, but when we tried that the windows download site inform us that our windows media was more current than the one that we were trying to download from ms:/ Is it necessary to view that, or is it a step by step procedure, like any other thing, and you just fill it out? Also, it says that the site is going to be down tomorrow. Thanks for your help, again, Allyn