Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Folsom State Prison (FSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Folsom State Prison, located in Represa, California.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:14 PM

Default What level is Old Folsom prison?

Hi there. I thought I'd write here since it looks like the Folsom forum is pretty dead. My bf was at Sacramento state and got transferred to old Folsom last week. He was told he had to do another year in Sacramento before they considered him for a transfer. I am so confused as to why they transferred him. Do any of you know what level Folsom is? Thanks in advanced
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 06:53 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 5,111 Times in 1,973 Posts
Default Folsom prison

https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Facilities_Locator/FSP.html

In short, Folsom’s male facility houses medium security inmates, with some minimum security support staff-type inmates. Most likely he is medium security. I don’t see anything on the page in regards to security level (I, II, III or IV) beyond that but given the older nature of the facility I would imagine it is mostly medium II and III custody level inmates that are housed there.

CDCR transfers inmates for a variety of reasons. It could be that he declared enemies at his last prison and this was the first appropriate prison he could be placed at. It could be a change in his security level that made housing him at his previous facility no longer practical (quick edit: this could actually be a good thing as I will mention below...). It could be placement in a prison program that is offered at Folsom but not at his previous prison. It could just be an issue of them needing his bed free’d up for an incoming inmate and he was the lucky/unlucky one to get picked to move. Or they could have decided for reasons completely unknown to anyone that it was time to move him. Unfortunately unless he was given some insight as to the reason why they moved him to Folsom then chances are nobody will ever know for certain.

I am not certain how recent the information I am reading is, but given that Sacramento State Prison houses Level IV inmates and is considered a Max facility, my best guess would be that the move to Old Folsom is a GOOD thing, at least as far as his security level is concerned. It’s possible at his last review he was moved from Level IV to Level III for classification purposes, which represents good behavior and means he now is on a less restrictive yard.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-10-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Thank you missingdee for your response! I guess I'm just confused since he was a level 3-4 according to him and his points. I'll just wait patiently for his call or letter. Just wished they would of moved him closer im in sourthern CA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jjanniesmom For This Useful Post:
missingdee (01-10-2018), Sarianna (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjanniesmom View Post
Thank you missingdee for your response! I guess I'm just confused since he was a level 3-4 according to him and his points. I'll just wait patiently for his call or letter. Just wished they would of moved him closer im in sourthern CA.

Oh I can completely understand that desire! While it may take some time, hopefully if he continues to lower his points and avoids write-ups he can see about being endorsed to and transferred to a prison closer to you (Chino or Lancaster or Donovan maybe?) Definitely hope he can call or write to you soon to let you know what’s going on. But while it’s still a ways away and he basically has moved from one facility to another in the same general location, this move may come with more freedoms and privileges for him and maybe some better programming. If our loved ones can’t be close by, hopefully they can at least get better housing and have a better quality of programs and of life in general where they are housed.

-E

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-18-2018, 09:26 PM

So I finally got a letter from my bf. He is in the hole! My heart is broken!! He was doing so good. He said he can't tell me what happened. He didn't get in a fight, but he did say they are taking his visits away for a few years! He said he is going to fight the case. Any ideas why inmates get their visits taken away?
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Huh.....strange, especially since Sac State’s better set up for the hole than Folsom is based on security levels, but I digress.

Dee and I had an issue where visits were taken from us for a few years (unjustly I might add.). For us, it was a situation where we were accused of attempting to bring drugs into the prison. Completely bogus. But I can attest that doing that will get you hole time and loss of visiting even if you don’t catch a new “real-world” Case (which thankfully we did not.)

But yeah. Bringing in drugs would be the primary reason why visits would be taken away if a violent incident (fight, weapon use, etc) isn’t involved. I suppose the other scenario would involve being caught with a weapon even if he was not using it.

Title 15 has a pretty comprehensive list of what can result in time loss, visitation loss, etc. Have you familiarized yourself with it?

-E

-Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to missingdee For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingdee View Post
Huh.....strange, especially since Sac State’s better set up for the hole than Folsom is based on security levels, but I digress.

Dee and I had an issue where visits were taken from us for a few years (unjustly I might add.). For us, it was a situation where we were accused of attempting to bring drugs into the prison. Completely bogus. But I can attest that doing that will get you hole time and loss of visiting even if you don’t catch a new “real-world” Case (which thankfully we did not.)

But yeah. Bringing in drugs would be the primary reason why visits would be taken away if a violent incident (fight, weapon use, etc) isn’t involved. I suppose the other scenario would involve being caught with a weapon even if he was not using it.

Title 15 has a pretty comprehensive list of what can result in time loss, visitation loss, etc. Have you familiarized yourself with it?

-E
Yes, this very strange! This happened on a Wednesday so I know it wasn't a visit. I'm thinking drugs. I have no idea cuz he doesn't use. I'm hoping he can tell me something. I've never heard of title 15 what is it? How can I read about it?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:18 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Quote:
Yes, this very strange! This happened on a Wednesday so I know it wasn't a visit. I'm thinking drugs. I have no idea cuz he doesn't use. I'm hoping he can tell me something. I've never heard of title 15 what is it? How can I read about it?

Title 15 is, in essence, the CDCR rulebook for Prison and parole operations.

You can find the most recently available version here:
https://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Regulations/...tle15_2017.pdf

-Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-26-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Hi there. I thought I'd write here since it looks like the Folsom forum is pretty dead. My bf was at Sacramento state and got transferred to old Folsom last week. He was told he had to do another year in Sacramento before they considered him for a transfer. I am so confused as to why they transferred him. Do any of you know what level Folsom is? Thanks in advanced
I agree, it’s very dead. I’ve just been reading old posts.