Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Discounts & Frugality
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Dollar stretching strategies
Coupons 11 25.58%
Discount stores 26 60.47%
Side hustle 6 13.95%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 PM

Default What are you doing to save $$$?

Hello everything,
I am in full savings mode! I went to the grocery store yesterday and I combined the sales with coupons. I left with a cart full of stuff @ over $100 savings. I turned the A/C in my house off a few months ago. I've had $55 light bills for the past couple of months. I started a garden and once it is producing, I'll be canning. I am trying to learn to sew so that I can make and alter my own clothes. I shop at discount clothing stores.

What is everyone doing to get the most bange for the buck?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Divamc For This Useful Post:
jade266881 (03-26-2013), okiegyrl (03-25-2013), sexymrshaw37 (03-25-2013), Sunflow (05-20-2013), vera31 (04-11-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,421 Times in 679 Posts

Excellent ideas, divamc!

Here in MS, they have "5 for $19.95". Five packages of different meats, cheese, etc. It stretches my food budget further. I only get $51.00 in Food Stamps a month, so I need everything I can to save $$$.

Michele
Old 03-24-2013, 07:23 PM
California Dreaming

Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 1,471 Times in 750 Posts

Im actually on restrictions from spending lol. I make a weekly menu for meal and make my grocery list with just the things I need for those meals. I refuse to deviate from that list no matter what catches my eye in the store lol

When I cook I store the leftovers in the containers as a meal and should things get bad I can just go to the freezer, pull out a plate of food and heat it up and still get a full meal.

I no longer buy the name brands I was brought up by. Most things I buy the store brand because its almost half the cost and just as good. One of our grocery stores has a fuel perk program. For every 50.00 you spend you earn .05 off per gallon at a certain gas station, so I use those on my gas.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HardHeadedWoman For This Useful Post:
BABY1N2 (05-20-2013), babygirl350 (07-27-2013), Sunflow (05-20-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Till death do us part

Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,717 Posts

Coupons and serious price matching (no where around here doubles coupons) but I can usually save 50 $ a trip...Do online survery's and mturk and let that money pile up for vacations and christmas..last year on mturk alone I had over 200 dollars that covered 1/2 the stuff I ordered for my kids.

Holding it down since 2-23-2008[/color]
I love you more with every breath truly madly deeply do
Old 03-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,877 Times in 2,117 Posts
Thumbs up Saving little by little

I gave up on coupons because most of them are now online and the cost of ink just isn't worth the savings for brand items. I buy most products in bulk---paper towels, tissue, cleaning products, soaps & lotions, so it's months before I need to stock up again. I shop mostly at a certain grocery store and noticed the difference within a few months. I'm not a cold weather kind of girl, so until the warmer weather gets here, I'll have to deal with the $$$ bill. I got rid of cable three years ago, so it's all internet or dvds for me and my phone bill is less than $20/month. Gas prices I've learned to deal with. I'm not much of a shopper, if I find something I like and it's on sale/clearance, it's mine. I'm more of an end of season/clearance shopper.
BABY1N2 (05-20-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:09 PM

PTO Moderator 

Wink This is Wonderful!

This is the most activity that I've seen in a while on this forum and I love it

What other ideas can we come up with to save money??

Michele
Renee (03-29-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:20 PM
BB ♥'s BB

This is a great thread! I'm trying to learn ways to save money as well. I use coupons often and have started to buy in bulk more although the cost up front is hard sometimes. When I spend cash I will take my loose change and put it in jar which adds up. I also hide money from myself and that actually works for me! I heard the envelope system is good for those who are over spenders. Once the funds are gone from one area you can't borrow from another envelope.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sad_Eyes For This Useful Post:
Sunflow (05-20-2013), vera31 (04-11-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Carolina traveler

Lightbulb Blog ideas for saving cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad_Eyes View Post
This is a great thread! I'm trying to learn ways to save money as well. I use coupons often and have started to buy in bulk more although the cost up front is hard sometimes. When I spend cash I will take my loose change and put it in jar which adds up. I also hide money from myself and that actually works for me! I heard the envelope system is good for those who are over spenders. Once the funds are gone from one area you can't borrow from another envelope.
I read blogs about the $5 Challenge and the 52 Week Saving Challenge. I've been trying to do both, it's much easier with the $5 one. I've been using the $5s that I've saved for rainy days and treats for myself. I'm hoping to use the 52 Week savings to pay off my credit card and add some to my savings account.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM
California Dreaming

Thanked 1,471 Times in 750 Posts

I don't have cable T.V either. I just have it for the internet and watch all of my shows online. Ive even became addicted to movies on youtube lol.
I downsized my cell phone bill by almost half by going from Verizon to straighttalk. I already have a laptop so I don't need the fancy iphone and apps. what never had I wont miss.
I use to take my car in to have it washed and cleaned faithfully once a week. Now I let it go until its not raining and do it myself

Old 03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Carolina traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardHeadedWoman View Post
I don't have cable T.V either. I just have it for the internet and watch all of my shows online. Ive even became addicted to movies on youtube lol.
I downsized my cell phone bill by almost half by going from Verizon to straighttalk. I already have a laptop so I don't need the fancy iphone and apps. what never had I wont miss.
I use to take my car in to have it washed and cleaned faithfully once a week. Now I let it go until its not raining and do it myself
I kept Verizon, just went to prepaid instead. I use the car wash at the gas station every other month to save a little on gas. If I see a few days of rain in the forecast...there's my car wash

Last edited by choclgs; 03-24-2013 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: include quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:31 AM

I just put away money right away. I do not care if I think I need the money if all the bills are paid almost half of the money left over goes into my savings and I do not touch it at all.
Once it's there it's there. This forces me to save money and I only buy what I need no more splurging. I buy offbrand items they are usually the SAME exact thing lol
I do not eat out anymore and I cut out most things that were automatically deducted from my account monthly. I cut back on anything that seemed expensive
Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 AM

These are some great ideas!! I do clip coupons. I go to websites like http://krazycouponlady.com & http://coupondivas.com which offer not only grocery coupons, but retail & restaurant ones as well!! I have tried to do surveys online. But due to demographic issues I often do not "qualify" to complete them which can be extremely maddening!! My daughter & son-in-law & me,my hubby & our other children have just started doing a "food share" every month. We combine our $ to go grocery shopping. I then will bring the food to my house where I will prepare the food & we all enjoy the meal as well as each other. For a family of 10, we have to shop carefully and methodically!!

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,291 Posts

I visit some freebie websites to see what free samples I can request. I've gotten things in the mail such as free coffee, toothpaste, cereal, etc. (sample sizes). But, hey, it's free!
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM

I do coupon matching but not as much as I used to. I was really into it a while back and I would be able to go to the stores and get a bunch of stuff for free or for a few cents. I try to always bring my lunch to work with me every day so I don't spend money out at a resturant or store. That has been a huge money saver for me.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM

Thanked 1,072 Times in 354 Posts

My grocery store Kroger has digital coupons that you get off their website. The coupons are loaded on the same card that you scan to get the sale prices at the store. This is great because there is nothing to clip and i never forget my coupons. Once a week I go onto to kroger’s website, select the coupons that interest me, and when i shop i scan my card at checkout and the coupons come right off. It is a super easy way to save money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveYourself1st For This Useful Post:
Aphra (05-27-2016), livingoutside (01-28-2014), Tookie1132 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 PM
He is mo anam cara
Donation Award 

I shop at Kroger too, thanks for that info!

Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same

~ Emily Bronte

The Following User Says Thank You to Tookie1132 For This Useful Post:
LoveYourself1st (03-25-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 10:21 PM
He is mo anam cara
Donation Award 

I make a grocery list and do not deviate from it. I also only buy clothes from the clearance rack. I try to do everything myself to. Nails, eyebrows, lawn, cooking (I don't buy convenience meals) etc. I haven't tried changing my own oil yet though, gotta draw the line somewhere!

Whatever souls are made of, his and mine are the same

~ Emily Bronte

The Following User Says Thank You to Tookie1132 For This Useful Post:
Sunflow (05-20-2013)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:23 PM

PTO Moderator 

Default Way to Go, Ladies!

This thread is wonderful! I've really gotten some knowledge from here!
Let's see how far we can go with it, shall we?

Michele
Renee (03-29-2013), Sunflow (05-20-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM

Default last a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwoman1954 View Post
This thread is wonderful! I've really gotten some knowledge from here!
Let's see how far we can go with it, shall we?

Michele
i make homemade clothes washing soap.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Lightbulb amazon.com

I voted coupons, but I actually buy in-bulk from Amazon.com and they offer instant coupons on alot of items. I just started this b/c they gave me a store card and I needed a way to get household stuff and school books but not have to pay now (F/T student, 2 kids, no income). When I was shopping I compared the same products at Wal-mart and I am getting a better deal. Being a Prime member, I don't pay shipping costs either.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 AM

PTO Moderator 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloved View Post
i make homemade clothes washing soap.
I never would of thought of these two. Great ideas!

Michele
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM

PTO Moderator 

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsMrs View Post
I voted coupons, but I actually buy in-bulk from Amazon.com and they offer instant coupons on alot of items. I just started this b/c they gave me a store card and I needed a way to get household stuff and school books but not have to pay now (F/T student, 2 kids, no income). When I was shopping I compared the same products at Wal-mart and I am getting a better deal. Being a Prime member, I don't pay shipping costs either.
Can anyone do this? Without an Amazon card? Inquiring minds want to know.

Michele
Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM

I always shop at the dollar tree first. I can get some amazing deals there. But you have to know your prices. They have bread that is close to date for $1. The same bread that sells in the store for close to $3. Their tortillas are preferred over some that I can get at the grocery.

I always check the markdowns, especially for meat. Even if I only get a small package of something that is not enough for a meal, eventually I find another one or we have "Buffet" night! LOL I have 7 kids and am seperated so I never really know how many are gonna be around to feed. I take the time to cook a lot of things from scratch as well. One bag of dry beans is about a dollar...3 cans of beans is gonna cost me about $3.

I always check thrift stores first if I need something, next is clearance racks or discount stores...Marshall's, Ross etc....

Can't wait for garage sale season as we REALLY need new living room furniture! LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to cmsb For This Useful Post:
Sunflow (05-20-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM
To the moon & back
Donation Award 

Thanked 4,505 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwoman1954 View Post
I never would of thought of these two. Great ideas!

Michele
Do you have an account with Pintrest? There are all kinds of tutorials on there about making homemade detergent, fabric softener, febreeze, etc. If you don't have an account,, ask one of your faceboook friends (if you're on FB) who has a Pintrest account to send you an invite.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM
Carolina traveler

Lightbulb Discount Breads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsb View Post
I always shop at the dollar tree first. I can get some amazing deals there. But you have to know your prices. They have bread that is close to date for $1. The same bread that sells in the store for close to $3. Their tortillas are preferred over some that I can get at the grocery.

I always check the markdowns, especially for meat. Even if I only get a small package of something that is not enough for a meal, eventually I find another one or we have "Buffet" night! LOL I have 7 kids and am seperated so I never really know how many are gonna be around to feed. I take the time to cook a lot of things from scratch as well. One bag of dry beans is about a dollar...3 cans of beans is gonna cost me about $3.

I always check thrift stores first if I need something, next is clearance racks or discount stores...Marshall's, Ross etc....

Can't wait for garage sale season as we REALLY need new living room furniture! LOL
We have a couple of brand bread thrift/outlet stores are great too. I always forget they're around until I drive near them. You'll find sandwich bread, rolls, buns, whatever baked goods the company sells in the grocery stores. Merita closed theirs when the Hostess plant shut down but there are other. You can search online to see if one is in your area.